keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I watched DnD tonight...and I get the box office.  I'm sorry...it's the worst thing I've seen in theaters this year.  Now, (since I missed Ant Man 3), that doesn't make it a bad movie, but it's not really a good one.  It was the most try hard unfunny movie I've watched in awhile.  The trailer scene at the graveyard, and everything there, was the funniest part of the movie...but that was about it.  Since I know one user thinks I have "questionable opinions" on films (while I see myself as more GA), take this feedback for what it's worth:)...

That said, only my youngest agreed with me, while my hardcore DnD family players (the other 4) all liked it to liked it a lot.  

They are hardcore - I roleplay b/c my spouse got me into it, and I enjoy the friends and fun.  And maybe that's what this movie was missing - more fun.

Grades 

Me - C/C- - it had some redeemable parts, so I won't go lower, but I was checking my watch...

Spouse - B+ - finally had the game movie he liked, even though he said it was a "popcorn only" movie

Oldest - B+

2nd - B+ - she loved it, but said it was a beat for bear remake of GOTG Telltale game - I never played it, so I have no idea, but she said it's a straight rip off

3rd - B+

4th - B- (which is a low grade from him)...

So, even from those who like it, it's not full love, and that explains why it couldn't get traction where it was...hard to pay full price when there's a lot of like, some dislike, and no full love on a product that has both the promise and the baggage of the game.  Especially with Mario around.

Gonna post this to the movie thread, too...

I can see why someone wouldn't like it, but I personally enjoyed it. Not really bad taste like others said, just differing tastes.

5 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Can we most on to talking about how Shazam made less than $14k on Monday? 

The actual number isn't as funny as the PTA. $33. If your local cineplex sold more than three tickets to Shazam yesterday it was above average. 🤣

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

I have a headache, my stomach hurts, and I got a shit ton of work to do that I don't want to do for finals

What are we looking at for Mario's Tuesday numbers?

Yeah, any updates?

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I watched DnD tonight...and I get the box office.  I'm sorry...it's the worst thing I've seen in theaters this year.  Now, (since I missed Ant Man 3), that doesn't make it a bad movie, but it's not really a good one.  It was the most try hard unfunny movie I've watched in awhile.  The trailer scene at the graveyard, and everything there, was the funniest part of the movie...but that was about it.  Since I know one user thinks I have "questionable opinions" on films (while I see myself as more GA), take this feedback for what it's worth:)...

That said, only my youngest agreed with me, while my hardcore DnD family players (the other 4) all liked it to liked it a lot.  

They are hardcore - I roleplay b/c my spouse got me into it, and I enjoy the friends and fun.  And maybe that's what this movie was missing - more fun.

Grades 

Me - C/C- - it had some redeemable parts, so I won't go lower, but I was checking my watch...

Spouse - B+ - finally had the game movie he liked, even though he said it was a "popcorn only" movie

Oldest - B+

2nd - B+ - she loved it, but said it was a beat for bear remake of GOTG Telltale game - I never played it, so I have no idea, but she said it's a straight rip off

3rd - B+

4th - B- (which is a low grade from him)...

So, even from those who like it, it's not full love, and that explains why it couldn't get traction where it was...hard to pay full price when there's a lot of like, some dislike, and no full love on a product that has both the promise and the baggage of the game.  Especially with Mario around.

Gonna post this to the movie thread, too...

I don´t know if being a fan of the property really makes any difference, i sincerely didn´t know anything about it and i found the movie absolutely delightful to watch 

CinemaScore is very good for this type of movie as well, i think what it holds it from being succesful is lack of good trailers and interesting marketing pieces that lead to a soft OW, and then Mario just killed it 

• Like 1

An A- CinemaScore isn't bad, come on lol. It's entirely valid to not like it (When I saw it early, so they might've fixed it up idk, I wasn't hot on it and I'm still kind of surprised it's become so beloved), but I also think we need to stop assuming any of us are the 'voice of the General Audience'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mulder said:

An A- CinemaScore isn't bad, come on lol. It's entirely valid to not like it (When I saw it early, so they might've fixed it up idk, I wasn't hot on it and I'm still kind of surprised it's become so beloved), but I also think we need to stop assuming any of us are the 'voice of the General Audience'.

See, GA taste is my own personal joke now...when 2 people tell you in 2 weeks you have "questionable" taste in movies, well, it's better to spin it at a positive:)...usually avoids fights on the boards...but I forgot it was Tuesday.  See note 1:)...

Or maybe note 4 - Don't even make jokes about yourself on Tuesdays:)...serious, serious only...

• Like 2

For D&D, as a lighthearted fantasy action/adventure I found it to be … moderately enjoyable but also forgettable, more in the “fine” range. Never played, so I’m sure some references went right over my head, but it was messy and jokes often didn’t land, just tried to cram too much in; probably not something I’m going to rewatch

Also saw Air this weekend: theater was pretty full for a Sunday afternoon (but also live in SeniorVille), and while I’d put that more in the good range, also felt it was a bit lacking, like the tone was off a bit and there was a better movie there that quite didn’t break through. At least a step or 2 down from Argo, which is what I was hoping for, but still worth a watch 

And fwiw, I’m already aware I have unusual taste, so no need to tell me 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, GA taste is my own personal joke now...when 2 people tell you in 2 weeks you have "questionable" taste in movies, well, it's better to spin it at a positive:)...usually avoids fights on the boards...but I forgot it was Tuesday.  See note 1:)...

Or maybe note 4 - Don't even make jokes about yourself on Tuesdays:)...serious, serious only...

Questionable taste is to be worn like a badge of honor. Remember those @baumer lists of best ofs? I didn't agree with most of them but loved reading through them. There's no right opinion on a movie. That said, I had a blast with DnD to but to each their own! 

I will say GA people I know that did see it enjoyed it very much (my sis and mom have taste that mirrors yours mostly and loved it). Of course, that's purely anecdotal. But, yeah, don't sweat those that call out your taste.

Regarding how the GA is receiving DnD that it seems to have scored pretty well at RT, LBOX and IMDB. See below. Those would all show pretty good reception among those that have watched it I'd think. Of course, that doesn't make your opinion invalid.

RT Verified Audience 93%

Letterboxd 3.7/5.0

IMDB 7.6/10.0

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

Tuesday should be around +30% for $7.5-$7.6M, but could go even higher or a bit lower 

The real question is what does Wed fall to, how much above $5M it stays. For right now, I’m in roughly $55-$65M range for Third weekend, leaning towards lower 60s

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Tuesday should be around +30% for $7.5-$7.6M, but could go even higher or a bit lower 

The real question is what does Wed fall to, how much above $5M it stays. For right now, I’m in roughly $55-$65M range for Third weekend, leaning towards lower 60s

435-440M range after 60M+ third weekend.

Really close to 440M Incredibles 2 gross after 3rd weekend.

Already over TLK's 430M after 3rd weekend.

• Like 1