keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

Puss In Boots is part of the Shrek franchise lol. It’s not some original ip. It too very much used nostalgia.

Mario didn’t owe anyone anything. Y’all seriously think that if Puss didn’t come out, Mario would tank? Bfr. People will still come regardless of when it releases. People are still underestimating the movie…even now, after all this??? I don’t wanna be that person, but no one knows what a The Last Wish is. 480 million is good for what it is, but like it’s not that good. It’s no huge smash. It did jussst enough to revive the Shrek franchise. Anything less would’ve spelled trouble. It’s not some huge thing that’ll influence a whole genre, which Mario is very likely to be. Mario will change the game for Video Game adaptations, no doubt about it.

Oh, and Arcane >>> The Last Wish. With eeeease.

Arcane-Is-A-Work-Of-Art-Culture.jpg

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, OceanBlvd said:

Puss In Boots is part of the Shrek franchise lol. It’s not some original ip. It too very much used nostalgia.

Mario didn’t owe anyone anything. Y’all seriously think that if Puss didn’t come out, Mario would tank? Bfr. People will still come regardless of when it releases. People are still underestimating the Mario brand…even now, after all this??? I don’t wanna be that person, but no one knows what a The Last Wish is. 480 million is good for what it is, but like it’s not that good. It’s no huge smash. It did jussst enough to revive the Shrek franchise. Anything less would’ve spelled trouble. It’s not some huge thing that’ll influence a whole genre, which Mario is very likely to be. Mario will change the game for Video Game adaptations, no doubt about it.

Oh, and Arcane >>> The Last Wish. With eeeease.

Arcane-Is-A-Work-Of-Art-Culture.jpg

I don't really want to get into a whole debate about animated projects rn, but you can't compare Arcane to Puss in Boots 2 lol. One's a PG 90 min movie and the other is a TV-14 10 episode video game adaptation that doesn't even have a conclusion yet.

The Shrek franchise was dead, or at least dormant, and the OW for Puss in Boots 2 displayed that prominently. $12M OW or whatever it was, was BAD. The movie was so good, not only did it revive the franchise and allow the studio to get into negotiations for Shrek 5, but it went through one of the most impressive runs in terms of legs since The Greatest Showman.

Clearly the tone in your reply shows that you think the movie is overrated, otherwise you wouldn't have dissed it so harshly, but you can't deny what it accomplished in spite of its disposition. It had no right to make near $500M.

Also I am not dissing Arcane, as that first season was amazing, but you brought it up out of nowhere that had no relevance to this topic. This is a box office thread is it not?

Edited by Austin
  • Like 5

Yes, it is, in fact, overrated. I cringed every time someone brought The Last Wish up as some cornerstone of animation, like BFR.

Arcane was mentioned because it did the painterly style 10x better. I brought it up because they tired to do the same artistically. Spiderverse is similar, but that is more comic style, and imo that is also better than Puss. This style has been done. It’s not something The Last Wish pioneered or popularized, like some people are suggesting. “Popularized” is even more questionable because it ain’t that popular. Oscar? Also zero. It is very much a trend hopping nostalgia bait animated movie. This style of animation is “cool” right now.

Ok, the box office run is okay, good, but it’s still the lowest grossing Shrek movie (as I repeat what Grace Randolph said). It didn’t do alla dat either, commercially speaking. Puss also didn’t drive families or whatever, as it’s barely out of the flop range (for its budget, it did well, but I’m talking on a grander scope, so don’t come for me). It's still mainly an enthusiast movie. The general public did not come in droves to see this movie. It’s film people, fvrr!es, and animation n3rds. Little Timmy and his little sister don’t know what this movie is. I’m just stating facts that I’m seeing. 

In terms of awards, Arcane and Spidey >>> The Last Wish

In terms of recent box office, Minions >>> The Last Wish

Artistically mid, commercially mid, box office run good. It did not excel on the fronts that people were claiming it to be. Smokes and mirrors.

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 5

25 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

Yes, it is, in fact, very overrated. I cringed every time someone brought The Last Wish up as some cornerstone of animation, like BFR.

Arcane was mentioned because it did the painterly style 10x better. I brought it up because they tired to do the same artistically. Spiderverse is similar, but that is more comic style, and imo that is also better than Puss. This style has been done. It’s not something The Last Wish pioneered or popularized, like some people are suggesting. “Popularized” is even more questionable because it ain’t that popular. Oscar? Also zero. It is very much a trend hopping nostalgia bait animated movie. This style of animation is “cool” right now.

Ok, the box office run is okay, good, but it’s still the lowest grossing Shrek movie (as I repeat what Grace Randolph said). It didn’t do alla dat either, commercially speaking. Puss also didn’t drive families or whatever, as it’s barely out of the flop range (for its budget, it did well, but I’m talking on a grander scope, so don’t come for me). It's still mainly an enthusiast movie. The general public did not come in droves to see this movie. It’s film people, furries, and animation n3rds. Little Timmy and his little sister don’t know what this movie is. I’m just stating facts that I’m seeing. 

In terms of awards, Arcane and Spidy >>> The Last Wish

Artistically mid, commercially mid, box office run good. It did not excel on the fronts that people were claiming it to be. Smokes and mirrors.

Okay.

• Like 7

Wouldn't exactly be that harsh on Puss (especially because I haven't seen it yet, so I don't have much to say about it anyway) but I definitely do think the importance of the film is overstated, as it didn't really bring forward a new style (the style has already been used to great success and if anything Puss is just one of the adopters of it, not viceversa) and it definitely didn't have a pivotal role in "bringing families back to the theater" considering it barely grossed half of the actual highest grossing family film of last year, and not even close to half of what mario will gross at this point

Greatly received film with a fun very leggy run, yes, but definitely not an industry breakthrough of any kind

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

Yes, it is, in fact, very overrated. I cringed every time someone brought The Last Wish up as some cornerstone of animation, like BFR.

Ok, the box office run is okay, good, but it’s still the lowest grossing Shrek movie (as I repeat what Grace Randolph said). It didn’t do alla dat either, commercially speaking. Puss also didn’t drive families or whatever, as it’s barely out of the flop range (for its budget, it did well, but I’m talking on a grander scope, so don’t come for me). It's still mainly an enthusiast movie. The general public did not come in droves to see this movie. It’s film people, furries, and animation n3rds. Little Timmy and his little sister don’t know what this movie is. I’m just stating facts that I’m seeing. 

In terms of awards, Arcane and Spidey >>> The Last Wish

Objectively bad takes, but whatever.

All you pointed out about the film was the animation style, which was praised by the majority of people, so I'm not sure how much weight your opinion holds on that front.

Puss in Boots 2 also grossed more than Puss in Boots 1 domestically, despite having a much smaller OW and it also not being released one year after the previous Shrek film. It didn't revolutionize the box office or anything, but it definitely helped create a healthier box office economy, providing an alternative to Avatar 2 when that movie was making bank.

You must have also forgotton that Puss in Boots 2 was the 8th most profitable film in 2022, having a higher net gain than Thor 4, and it's STILL making money to this day.

This movie is hardly a nostalgia bait as you mentioned too, as this movie was nothing like any of the previous entries into the franchise, and if it was nostalgia bait, why didn't it make more OW?

Keep hating the movie with your terrible takes, but hate to break it to you, you are in the minority on this one. 4.3 letterboxd 7.9 IMBD 95% RT 94% AS speak otherwise.

Still don't care about Into the Spiderverse or Arcane in this discussion, but pop off ig.

3 hours ago, OceanBlvd said:

Yes, it is, in fact, overrated. I cringed every time someone brought The Last Wish up as some cornerstone of animation, like BFR.

Ok, the box office run is okay, good, but it’s still the lowest grossing Shrek movie (as I repeat what Grace Randolph said).

Not gona lie my brain was hurting a bit but then I read "Grace Randolph" and then it all made sense!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

600mil is still far from certain for Mario, but if it does hit it then the film is a real phenom (especially as i had it at 450-500mil after OW).

People throw around 700mil and 600mil as if we get multiple films every year hitting those numbers, we dont though, in fact we have only had 13 600mil films in history, and hell we have only had 18 500mil films in hiistory and people act like 500mil is a nothing target these days.

These kind of numbers are still hard to hit domestic, even 500mil.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1

Really fun seeing The Super Mario Bros Movie breaking out as much as it does currently. $500M+ DOM will soon happen for Mario, and beating Shrek 2 as the highest grossing Non-Disney animated film DOM-wise. Any idea how high it might go worldwide? Conservative speaking. 👩🏻‍💼

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Really fun seeing The Super Mario Bros Movie breaking out as much as it does currently. $500M+ DOM will soon happen for Mario, and beating Shrek 2 as the highest grossing Non-Disney animated film DOM-wise. Any idea how high it might go worldwide? Conservative speaking. 👩🏻‍💼

1,2B+ looks good right now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I'm on the 1.3b train

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1