keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

If that 4.75m holds then this movies is even more weekend heavy than I thought and maybe a Sonic type jump isn't too unrealistic for the weekend. I cant remember the last time we had a movie this weekend heavy since well Sonic 2 lmao

I imagine nearly all the Nintendo fanboys already saw Mario in its opening week. The rest of Mario's run will be heavily dependent on families, and in April they only show up on weekends. Fri and Sat should have big jumps.

So we shouldn't be freaking out over weekday numbers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it was a 3 day thing with one or two showings a day. Just went and saw it and it was nearly sold out

Return of the Jedi will also be playing next weekend. Nearby theater has it showing 4 times a day, over 3 days.

I'm a bigger SW fan than LOTR, so I'll probably go.

• Like 3

4.75 is just a fraction higher that the -30% I figured was the baseline. Full ticket prices, family draw, its not unusual behavior, if a tad on the higher side. The big question mark will be the Thursday (drop/flat/increase) and Friday combo since we know Saturday will be a substantial bump. 

That said its still a crazy good number for a 1st week Wednesday in non summer, let alone 2nd (regular) Wednesday. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 1

Fun fact I noticed. Mario had a pretty similar 3-day opening as the next biggest Easter release, Furious 7. And already after just the SECOND WEEKEND, it’s already surpassed that film’s domestic total.

Just nuts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Fun fact I noticed. Mario had a pretty similar 3-day opening as the next biggest Easter release, Furious 7. And already after just the SECOND WEEKEND, it’s already surpassed that film’s domestic total.

Just nuts.

I guess we now know which film had a bigger FAMILY appeal.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, M37 said:

Interesting read (and a “duh, I told you so” from quite a few posters on here) 

Gotta eat some crow there, during 2021 and early-mid 2022 i truly felt that cinema was dying and that Corona + streaming plattforms kind of killed it. So im really happy to see things play out differently so far.

Though back then i also didnt know how little money (or even negative amounts of money) streaming releases actually produce. If you dig deeper into the business model, i found it actually baffling how many billions were and are invested in services that most of the time dont make any real profit in the end. Theatralic business seems a far better choice just from a purely economic perspective.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Gotta eat some crow there, during 2021 and early-mid 2022 i truly felt that cinema was dying and that Corona + streaming plattforms kind of killed it. So im really happy to see things play out differently so far.

Though back then i also didnt know how little money (or even negative amounts of money) streaming releases actually produce. If you dig deeper into the business model, i found it actually baffling how many billions were and are invested in services that most of the time dont make any real profit in the end. Theatralic business seems a far better choice just from a purely economic perspective.

Yeah, I remember reading about how much Netflix was operating in the red a few years ago and being astounded 

Just think how much it takes for a $100M+ budgeted theatrical release to be profitable, at over $10/ticket (where granted studio is only keeping a portion). Compare that to a streamer, where at best like $1/month of subscription fee is theoretically going towards the exclusivity of say Red Notice or Glass Onion vs the rest of the catalog. That’s a whole lot of volume needed to generate the same ROI, requiring new such content regularly, and I just don’t see how that’s financially sustainable long term

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This may be reaching a bit, but I think Puss deserves a lot of credit too for re-establishing animation at the box office. Here you have this movie that should have had its fate cemented as a box office bomb direct to streaming situation,  but instead forced families out to the theaters again via good old fashioned incredible WOM (and the studio actually trusting to commit to theatrical despite the odds). 

I think Mario might owe a little of its huge success at least to PiB paving the way for animation to be formidable again at the BO. Kinda like how Mermaid paved the way for animation to be successful again back in the day, despite not being a huge box office hit. Minions I’m hesitant to count bc that really was fueled by gen z tiktokers, so not a very good animation comp, 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Bad news for Mario today is it seems to have 15% fewer shows than yesterday. So will drop despite not facing big openers though Evil Dead should do well relative to subdued expectations. I think Mario should hopefully have a huge increase tomorrow to keep 60m+ 3rd weekend in play. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This may be reaching a bit, but I think Puss deserves a lot of credit too for re-establishing animation at the box office. Here you have this movie that should have had its fate cemented as a box office bomb direct to streaming situation,  but instead forced families out to the theaters again via good old fashioned incredible WOM (and the studio actually trusting to commit to theatrical despite the odds). 

I think Mario might owe a little of its huge success at least to PiB paving the way for animation to be formidable again at the BO. Kinda like how Mermaid paved the way for animation to be successful again back in the day, despite not being a huge box office hit. Minions I’m hesitant to count bc that really was fueled by gen z tiktokers, so not a very good animation comp, 

I don’t disagree with this. Minions and Puss walked so Mario could run.