Eric the Fall Guy

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Well this does solidify the Guardians movies as being the only trilogy within the MCU with 3 consistent good films. Is it as good as the first film, no, but it is not disappointing. These characters are so much more engaging than the rest of the MCU.

I was happy that it felt like an actual ending, and it clearly isn't under pressure to keep plot threads going for future movies.

Small gripes:

- Didn't personally like most of the music choices.

- It's too long

- Could not care less about the villain

- Not as funny as the previous films. Dunno if this is me getting older or the films getting less funny.

• Astonished 1

With Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3, writer-director James Gunn has succeeded in completing an emotionally resonant trilogy that thrives on its winning depiction of interpersonal relationships and found family. Like the previous installments in this franchise-within-a-franchise, Vol. 3 successfully sidesteps many of the bigger arcs in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in favor of a more personal, intimate focus. As a result, the film earns its emotional moments that may well cause invested viewers to become at least a little misty-eyed. As with Gunn’s previous two films in this universe, it’s also a colorful, humorous film that gets plenty of mileage out of its well-pitched comic timing, its expert utilization of music selections, and the clever visual tricks it employs in its action-driven set pieces. Even with a bloated running time that stretches a wee bit too long in the final act, it’s a deeply enjoyable popcorn flick that goes down easily, even in spite of some darker developments that might make it a bit less kid-friendly than the preceding films. As always, the cast chemistry is a notable highlight; the returning players all slide back into their roles with pluck, all while successfully adding further emotional layers (with the one exception of Zoe Saldana, whose talents and past successes in her role are just about as noticeably overlooked here as they are in Avatar: The Way of Water). While it’s tough to see where this particular strand of the MCU may go from here, Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 is a rousing and resonant end to the trilogy – the rare big franchise film that widens its canvas while also making careful considerations in rounding out its emotional arcs in satisfying fashion. 

B+

• Like 1

A solid though flawed conclusion to James Gunn's trilogy that is certainly among the better MCU movies in a while (definitely a major improvement over mediocrity like Eternals and Ant-Man 3). This ends up arguably the most ambitious, darkest (some scenes are rather brutal in their cruelty for a PG-13 movie), and messiest of the three movies (and as a result, also the least funny), and it does feel like Gunn is biting off more than he can chew at times during the overlong 2.5 hour runtime. Also, Chukwudi Iwuji's The High Evolutionary is an underdeveloped antagonist whose power levels change throughout. But it ultimately manages to send off the characters (at least the ones whose stories have officially ended here) well and there's a lot of fun set pieces accompanied by another dynamite soundtrack (I could never dislike a movie that features both Earth, Wind & Fire and Beastie Boys during crucial moments).

The cast perfectly inhabit these characters once again, and I appreciated the exploration of Rocket's backstory. I assume Will Poulter's Adam Warlock and Maria Bakalova's Cosmo are being set up for appearances in future movies (or TV shows). Though I feel like they did Elizabeth Debicki dirty bringing her back for the primary purpose of getting killed off.

Overall, it does its job of providing a fun kickoff for the summer movie season while saying farewell to this unlikely and lovable group of heroes. Hopefully Gunn's Superman film and other projects at DC have just as much heart and excitement in equal measure as this trilogy did.

B

Felt cluttered with characters, but the ones who get the characterization and fleshing out have the gratitude of being my faves from the previous movies (Rocket, of course, but now Mantis, they really did wonderfully by her this movie).

Did feel like there wasn't enough Rocket, but I understand why, and what we did get was impactful.

Also felt that Gamora was a little sidelined; In hindsight, it was also fairly cluttered with storylines. Some work a little better than others.

The 1st is my 2nd favorite MCU film, the 2nd I don't enjoy, and this one is definitely in the top 5, by virtue of the fact that I don't watch many MCU movies these days.

I will say that it was a positive subversion of expectations that none of the Guardians perished in this. Went in fully prepared for one or two of them to bite the dust before the movie was over between multiple cast members telling the media this was their last one before release and the overall somber tone of most of the marketing.

The poor citizens of Counter-Earth though.

The first Guardians of the Galaxy is one of my favorites films in the MCU and favorite movies period. and I really really liked GOTG VOL 2 alot. and I am Happy to say that VOL 3. did not disappoint me. which was a relief  after the hit and miss state of the MCU right now. my three favorite characters had the best arches. (Star-Lord, Mantis and Rocket). and everyone gave fantastic performances. heck it might be the best performance, I've ever seen Chris Pratt give.

This movie is highly- highly emotional I cry quite often in movies, so I was expecting to shed a few tears just from the trailers, but I found myself having to hold back sobs as parts. like Lylla and Teefs and Floor and Rocket. 😭

I did think that Gamora was really sidelined. and Adam Warlock, while I liked him, did not have much do to. makes me wonder if they could have done this in a two part final. 

The movie is a bit too long and probably could have trimmed off 15 minutes. I feel like after the pandemic the movie producers were like what can be do to make people go back to the movies and were like "lets make everything 3 hours long!" 

But those grips are fairly minor and this is definitely in my top 5 marvel films ever still deciding where. 

Edited by Kalo

Is it just me or is this movie a massive metaphorical arraignment of massive corporations like… Disney? That they like to play god and want to own everything there is to own, including ideas.

A bit ironic.

Normally I'd say Mantis and Drax stole the show as usual, but everyone brings their A-games to this in terms of acting, even Zoe Saldana who acts just ever so slightly different, not overbearingly so, enough to make us believe that this is a different Gamora. Well done on the story front, although perhaps a bit too long and just too out there sometimes. But it's thematically rich and character-driven.

I must commend James Gunn here for improving his action directing. He has stepped up since the first Guardians of the Galaxy. Here the action feels a lot punchier and is especially edited together in more comprehensive and exciting fashion. In the first movie the action scenes were the worst parts, but they got better in this one. 

I think James Gunn is a talented director and clearly this feels like an actual movie and not just another chapter of the MCU. However, as much as I think it's true, I'm still not a big fan of his style overall. Sometimes he just nails it, but other times… it's a bit much. He over-indulges, often, in all his movies I've seen except maybe the first Guardians of the Galaxy (maybe he was a bit more prudent?)

Regardless, I imagine that some people will strongly connect with this movie. I didn't, but I can see how it could be incredibly moving for some people. Like I said, it's a character driven and very much emotional ride. And it's directed very well.

I would put it slightly above the 2nd one.

B

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Is it just me or is this movie a massive metaphorical arraignment of massive corporations like… Disney? That they like to play god and want to own everything there is to own, including ideas.

A bit ironic.

I've seen a number of people notice it, including me

• Like 1

8/10, A-

enjoyable movie, maybe a bit long, but overall very nice and entertaining, even if some plot elements and gags seemed already routine.

I didn't like the music as much as in the earler GotG movies, but it was still one of the strengths.

And I thought the Evolutionary got shortchanged (same as the Skrulls a few years earlier) - waste of a great villain.

It's been living rent free in my head for weeks after watching it.

Might actually be the best standalone film Marvel has done (I don't count IW/Endgame as a standalone affair, that's one big project in my mind). Beautiful capstone to one of the best modern trilogies, rare to see a trilogy go out so strong like this. I know some people disagree but this is the rare trilogy for me that has gotten better with each progressive installment, and while Vol. 2 still has my heart in many ways - I think it's soundtrack is still the best - Vol. 3 is easily the most mature effort from Gunn and showcases just how much he has evolved as a director since then. Lots of The Suicide Squad vibes here in a good way, love how nasty this gets at points. Rocket MVP of all time, High Evolutionary can go eat shit (Chukwudi Iwuji is incredible in this though, wow!).

Don't know if the MCU will ever reach these heights again. I hope so, I will continue to watch, but I think if they don't I still satisfied with the Guardians trilogy as their magnum opus.

• Like 1