Eric is Quiet

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

Wow, this was incredible in a way most Marvel movies haven't been in years. Not only does this topple No Way Home for me as the best post-Endgame Marvel movie, but I think this is also one of the finest the entire franchise has to offer. This'll probably be the last truly great Marvel movie for a long time. If anything, this movie made me more excited for the upcoming DC reboot than the current future Marvel slate.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

winter soldier came out only a few months before gotg, it didn't need a kick

That movie hardly set the box office on fire. GotG1 was THE box office story of the year (granted it was a very weak year).

I agree that I don't know that GOTG3 says much about how the rest of Phase 5 will go reception-wise.  

Feige clearly has a lot of trust in Gunn (wasn't Gunn set to basically head up the "cosmic" MCU for a while before the whole mess?), so he no doubt gave him almost complete freedom for Vol 3.

But I also don't think it's some sort of tragedy that Marvel is losing Gunn. He gave a decade of his life to them, and now he gets to see if he can be DC's Kevin Feige and build something great there. No losers here.

Maybe pulling back on the projects will allow Feige to not be stretched so thin and he can lend more personal oversight to each one.  Or maybe Feige is just burnt out, doesn't have the fire anymore, and should have moved on after Endgame.  Who knows.

I think the only unfortunate thing for Marvel with Gunn off at DC is that, to me, GOTG3 (though I haven't seen it yet) does really feel like a good ending point for the MCU, maybe even more so than Endgame.  Almost everyone introduced in the Phases 1-3 has now come to a natural end point in their stories with this film coming out, and it remains to be seen if general audiences will care as much about all the new characters and their journeys.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm probably going to sound like a get off my lawn kind of guy but it just seems like the Innocence of box office is gone now. I know a lot of us have been doing this for more than 20 years and so the mystery and the mystique is gone. As soon as the preview number comes out everyone's telling us if it's a good number if it's a bad number if it'll make 700 if it'll make six how good that is for the MCU if that's good for Guardians of the galaxy. It's like we can't even enjoy a number anymore without extrapolating and then buying a plot in the cemetery for it.

I don't really have a solution I'm not really offering a solution I'm just saying it's too bad that it's come to this.

Sure every once in awhile Titanic or top gun Maverick or some other surprise will come out. I like it when it films like that completely shock us. Remember about 20 years ago when my big fat Greek wedding came out and next to Titanic it was probably the biggest surprise in box office tracking in God knows how long. It's fun when we have surprises..... again this is just one big rant I don't really have a point and I certainly don't have a solution. I guess like I said this is more of a get off my lawn kind of an observation. 🤷

I mean we’ve had No Way Home, TGM, A2 and Mario defy all typical box office forecast and trajectories in a little over a year’s time. Id say it’s one of the most exciting stretches of the last decade as far as huge breakouts go. It’s everything else that is a snooze to track now. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

I wasn't super big on Guardians last night. It had some really high highs, but it also felt very overstuffed and some of the moments didn't quite land because they weren't given enough time/weight during the film to feel earned. That being said, I was very stressed out and tired when I saw the movie, and I'm planning on watching it a second time tonight, so maybe my opinion will shift on it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That movie hardly set the box office on fire. GotG1 was THE box office story of the year (granted it was a very weak year).

Guardians made all of 56m more than WS, it didn't set the box office on fire, not that marvel needed it since Iron Man 3 put up 1.2b+ just a year prior

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

Guardians made all of 56m more than WS, it didn't set the box office on fire, not that marvel needed it since Iron Man 3 put up 1.2b+ just a year prior

TWS showing at the BO was weak given them trying to push Cap so hard and failing to get him on the same level as IM up to that point. And given the glowing reception. GotG1 was something analysts and prob even Disney themselves thought would tank and be lucky to hit 300 or so WW. It should have been impossible for it to beat TWS at the BO. 

6 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

GOTG1  over performed when it came out. Great reviews, great WOM and great box office. It may didn’t give MCU a kick seeing as how it already had one but it definitely helped maintain the momentum. Makes you wonder what went wrong with GOTG 3 box office and how so many lost interest.

9 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

GOTG1  over performed when it came out. Great reviews, great WOM and great box office. It may didn’t give MCU a kick seeing as how it already had one but it definitely helped maintain the momentum. Makes you wonder what went wrong with GOTG 3 box office and how so many lost interest.

MCU is in awful shape, simply 

Everyone was excited about MOM, it didn’t deliver and the numbers was smaller than expected.

It could’ve been a fluke and everyone was still excited about Thor, it didn’t deliver and box office was also smaller than expected.

Things was shaky, but there was still high interest in the brand, Panther is the cultural phenomenon of the MCU, and the feelings towards Chadwick was very strong … so WF turned out fine, even if it also dropped 500M from the first movie which is also a bit disappointing.

But then came Quantumania which is supposed to really introduce the big villain we’re suppose to fear and care about and it’s one of the biggest failures with audiences of recent years. 

Is no surprise that all of this ended up hurting Guardians hype, and they also was in the awfully received Thor movie, which certainly didn’t help.

The disappointing numbers is just following all MCU titles since NWH, the difference is that apparently WOM will avoid another bomb like Quantumania and will put it closer to Thor / WF.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

With all the problems DC have, i think the fact they never was able to materialize a strong interconnected franchise ended up helping them. 

They can drop 2 of the shittiest movies in a row, if suddenly something good comes out, it usually turn out fine. 

With MCU since the appeal is in the continuity, we’re seeing everything with crackles even if not everything released is being bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Both Winter Soldier and GOTG1 boosted the MCU making them more credible.

But Avengers was the game changer. Everyone pretty jumped on the Marvel train the moment when Loki got rag dolled.

Phase 2 box office was disappointing compared to phase 1 though up until and except for GotG1. Even IM3 and AoU felt like letdowns at the box office. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Phase 2 box office was disappointing compared to phase 1 though up until and except for GotG1. Even IM3 and AoU felt like letdowns at the box office. 

AOU maybe but how is IM3 a let down on the box office front? It nearly doubled what IM2 made worldwide. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

huh?

IM3 exploded, Thor 2 got almost Incredible Hulk reception and still got a big bump, Winter Soldier got great reviews and doubled the boxoffice of the first movie, Ant-Man was the one people had pegged as the likely flop and did half a billion.

I'll give you AOU and Civil War since those not beating Avengers1 and IM3 gave for a while the impression that the MCU might have already peak.  

• Like 6

• Founder / Operator
11 minutes ago, XXR Metro Boomin said:

I finalized your reaction gauntlet with a "Knock it off" but you do not, in fact, have to knock it off.

-I-am-inevitable-I-am-Iron-Man-Avengers-Endgame-2019-avengers-infinity-war-1-and-2-42925677-540-328.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5