Eric the IF

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly I'm not worried about Marvel and the MCU, the library is still full of characters not yet tapped into plus they have X-Men which having been on hiatus for a while will be embraced by audiences if it turns out well. 

They already fucked up and ruined the X-Men by refusing to recast Wolverine...... Hugh is iconic for the role but it is unrealistic to expect him to play Logan for 10 years. By bringing him back Marvel is sending a clear message that the character will not play a big part in the X-Men franchise going forward and he's just there for a short while. The refusal to recast Luke Skywalker was the exact same message from Lucasfilm. 

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The X-Men films were always notoriously frontloaded. I’d be curious to see how a rebooted version does. 

The beauty of X-Men is that you can do different spin-offs within the wider franchise like with Deadpool and Wolverine then do the big crossovers with other Marvel characters. Avengers v X-Men would be a big money spinner.  

Wolverine/Logan was always supposed to look like he's in his fifties.

And Jackman was mega popular in the role similar to Tobey Maguire to some extent.

So I can see why Marvel is bringing him back.

19 minutes ago, YM! said:

I do think selectiveness is a factor we’re going to see. I also think more non GA went for Guardians than most of the Phase 5 movies. Blade is a question mark especially because Marvel seems to be scared in doing horror and non-R rated things outside of Deadpool which is kind of like Family Guy in that it’s not for kids but c’mon the 10-14 boys crowd loves it. Thunderbolts faces an uphill battle because not only must it differentiate itself from Suicide Squad but all the characters but Ghost and Yuen’s character have the same “powers but not really powers set”. Can easily see it do Eternals numbers.

Of the ones I feel confident in Deadpool 3 will be the next event. Cap 4 I think being a psuedo Hulk sequel is a draw and I think maybe it’ll do a little better than expected because I think young black children will be happy to see a black Cap on screen. The Marvels has a floor of 500m but ceiling is hard to determine if it’s 700m or 800m especially with a packed November as Dune 2 and Hunger Games will eat into it.

Agreed! I'm probably part of the people who'll select future MCU ( and even DCU and Sony ) movies to be watched.

I'm probably watching GOTG 3 soon. I'll avoid The Marvels ( doesn't look interesting. In fact, it screams Thor Love and Thunder imo ), Blade ( I refuse to see a PG-13 rated Blade and I'm biased towards the Snipes trilogy ), Thunderbolts ( seems irrelevant, imo. I've already seen that before in Suicide Squad ). Captain America 4 is a 50/50 possibility ( not sure on this one ).

I'll 100% watch Deadpool 3, given how it also features Wolverine and it seems to be a great event movie. 

GOTG 3 being a great movie also helps DC, because I'll definitely watch Gunn's Superman. 

Regarding Sony, I'll probably watch Kraven ( it's R rated ) and avoid Madame Web ( that one is written by the guys who wrote Morbius, so I'll wait for the online version, lol ).

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

And Jackman was mega popular in the role similar to Tobey Maguire to some extent.

Problem is that he's not supposed to look like he's in his sixties, which Hugh will be in very soon. Hugh himself said that the role takes a giant toil on him and it was getting harder and harder for him to play it.

• Like 3

I thought huge ackman was just playing him in deadpool 3 like a tobey/andrew situation? can't imagine he's going to be MCU wolverine full time. they've said properly incorporating the x-men is still a while away anyway.

Just now, grey ghost said:

It's one thing for a comic to have an old looking guy jumping around the page.

It's another to have an old actor not named Tom Cruise doing it on screen.

It would be better, if you wanted an "aged up" Logan to age up a younger actor in makeup.  I mean, Logan ages slower, so then it gives you more time in moving making sequels for him to "not age much"...

I am definitely not anti-streaming, but I think the pandemic crisis pushed the medium to new places that undermined its own viability. Speaking in terms of MCU, Disney wanted to support their new streaming service so they produced a lot of Marvel content. Not a great move, the quality suffered, MCU brand became tarnished, we see the results now. Additionally, and I think more damning, was the rush to compress the release window to SVOD. Covid basically decimated the transactional home entertainment window. We are slowly getting it back with people like freaking Tom Cruise manning the barricades of exhibition. But Disney has given away the milk for free now for a couple of years, people are use to getting the newest Marvel movie a couple of months after cinema release on D+. 60 days is the new window from cinema to SVOD. It was 240 days before the pandemic. The entertainment industry panicked and jettison 180 days of revenue via transactional sales (VOD, EST, etc). Fucking nuts and it has to go backwards now. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

To counteract the new streaming window expectation, announce you have to watch in theaters or a film gets locked away in a vault...

Easy money. 

Kiss $120-$180/year per subscriber away as they all drop your programming on top of any advertising revenue you also get...

Edited by TwoMisfits

32 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's one thing for a comic to have an old looking guy jumping around the page.

It's another to have an old actor not named Tom Cruise doing it on screen.

It would be better, if you wanted an "aged up" Logan to age up a younger actor in makeup.  I mean, Logan ages slower, so then it gives you more time in moving making sequels for him to "not age much"...

Most action stars are 50+ these days. Keanu Reeves is 58, Dwayne Johnson is 51, Jason Statham is 55, etc.

• Like 1

GotG 3 recahes 1k+ Veriefied Scores at Rotten Tomatoes with a score of 96%.
Thi is how compares to some of the lastest CBMs

Movie

Verified % at 1k

Current Verified

CinemaScore

Eternals

86%

77% (10K votes)

B

The Batman

93%

87% (10k votes)

A-

Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness

89%

85% (10k votes)

B+

Thor Love & Thunder

85%

77% (10k votes)

B+

Black Panther Wakanda Forever

94%

94% (10k votes)

A

Ant Man & The Wasp Quantum

84%

83% (10k votes)

B

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

They already fucked up and ruined the X-Men by refusing to recast Wolverine...... Hugh is iconic for the role but it is unrealistic to expect him to play Logan for 10 years. By bringing him back Marvel is sending a clear message that the character will not play a big part in the X-Men franchise going forward and he's just there for a short while. The refusal to recast Luke Skywalker was the exact same message from Lucasfilm. 

I don't see how that's the case. Reed Richards was in a movie just one year ago and they're currently casting a new one right now.

41 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Also looks like that sunday will be the best day of the weekend. Thats rare among hollywood movies. Especially CB movies on OW

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

GotG 3 recahes 10k+ Veriefied Scores at Rotten Tomatoes with a score of 96%.
Thi is how compares to some of the lastest CBMs

Movie

Verified % at 1k

Current Verified

CinemaScore

Eternals

86%

77% (10K votes)

B

The Batman

93%

87% (10k votes)

A-

Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness

89%

85% (10k votes)

B+

Thor Love & Thunder

85%

77% (10k votes)

B+

Black Panther Wakanda Forever

94%

94% (10k votes)

A

Ant Man & The Wasp Quantum

84%

83% (10k votes)

B

It’s no Shang-Chi 🥱

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's a bit hyperbolic to say the MCU is finished, Disney aren't going to stop making Marvel films, they still make lots of money for the company. It's like saying WB should stop making DC films and we all know that's not happening either.

I should clarify, meant MCU Phase V. Of course, lots can be done in the future to turn this rotten trend around. It's quite simple: make good films. The last crop of films all got poor WoM, so when that becomes the norm, it's obvious that the crowd will turn away. 

• Like 1