kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I didn't know this. I wonder why. It's fun. Maybe international audiences prefer supernatural horror? 

Which as a scream fan I'm fine with. I rely on domestic take and when 4 didn't even make its budget back I wasn't expecting international to save it. To date the only scream not to gross a 100 million ww and nearly killed the series...

Edited by screambaby

3 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Gotg3 OW was hurt r by recent less then seller CBM...this might end up being a trend for awhile. Peope will wait for WOM...

Not as strong openings but better legs if the movie is well received.

For MCU stuff? Or, everything? Because I expect Spider-Verse and Flash to be on the higher end of what their tracking is for OW DOM.

I agree that GA has become more suspicious of MCU product. AM3 was really disappointing for me given the alleged high quality. 
A nice Secret Invasion, Loki, Marvels stretch would be great. 
Beyond that, I hope the writers get paid big time so the train can keep going. Pay those meeen their moneee. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jonwo said:

We can safely say the MCU isn't a dying brand which many on here were hoping would happen.

many who raised question about the MCU's future always tended to bring GOTG 3 up as an exception from the beginning. 

19 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Mcu.  WB just sent shaazam out to die.

I know it did better but Black Adam didn't exactly breakout either. I think Flash playing the the wibbly wobbly timey wimey card will result in it doing pretty well regardless though. Even with audiences feeling a bit letdown by the last two DC movies (Black Adam/Shazam). 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

many who raised question about the MCU's future always tended to bring GOTG 3 up as an exception from the beginning. 

Yes. This. We'll need to see how Marvels, Strange 3, Shang Chi 2 or whatever else they have coming does before making further judgement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah, but what is a dying brand?
if Marvels does $250m domestic and finishes in top 10 domestic… 

MCU is dying because that’s a big drop for sequel especially with inflation 

or

MCU is very strong brand cuz it’s got three movies in top 10 or 12?

• Like 1

Sun 50% is phenomenon for a non Holiday cbm sequel. Do I think it will maintain amazing holds amidst the deluge of competition about to unfold? No, but this weekend should at least get it over the 2.5x hump MCU has struggled with lately. 

I also don’t know how much this helps MCU. On one hand, it’s very needed for MCU to have some positive WOM again. On the other, this movie kinda has nothing to do with MCU on the whole going forward. If anything, it’s almost like the final final curtain call of the peak Infinity Saga glory days. 

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

We can safely say the MCU isn't a dying brand which many on here were hoping would happen.

MCU already had its peak and nothing lasts forever. An average MCU film won’t ever make a billion again because the Infinity Saga hype train is long gone. Having said that a good picture will still bring very good money so they must focus on quality. Having Gunn and the Russo gone is not that encouraging but I think they learnt a good lesson from the boxoffice of Guardians V3.

Excellent for Guardians Vol 3 and fully deserved. Looks like it’s being underestimated on Sunday too. 

Evil Dead Rise up to $130m+ worldwide, definitely no longer a “niche” franchise now. To think it was going to be on HBOmax only, phew. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

The Marvels is at best gonna do Thor: Love and Thunder numbers and end up with either like a B+ CS

This movie came out?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Really excellent for GOTG Vol.3. It's the best second weekend drop for an MCU sequel. Also one of the best second weekend drops for a $100+ million opener without a holiday second weekend - it's a rare feat to drop under 50% at this level, especially for this genre. The drop may be even better with actuals.

Can it be one of only a relative handful of comic book movies that hit a 3+ multiplier?

Best Second Weekend Drops for 100M+ Friday Openers (without Holiday Second Weekend):

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2022): -28.9%
  2. Spider-Man (2002): -37.8%
  3. The Jungle Book (2016): -40.4%
  4. Wonder Woman (2017): -43.3%
  5. Black Panther (2018): -44.7%
  6. Finding Dory (2016): -46.0%
  7. Alice in Wonderland (2010): -46.0%
  8. Toy Story 3 (2010): -46.2%
  9. Beauty and the Beast (2017): -48.3%
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023): -48.9%
  11. Jurassic World (2015): -49.0%*
  12. The Avengers (2012): -50.3%
  13. The Batman (2022): -50.4%
  14. Toy Story 4 (2019): -50.6%^
  15. It (2017): -51.3%
  16. The Secret Life of Pets (2016): -51.3%
  17. The Dark Knight (2008): -52.5%
  18. Thor: Ragnarok (2017): -53.5%

*2nd weekend was not technically a holiday weekend, but it did benefit significantly from Father’s Day (almost flat on Sunday)

^2nd weekend wasn’t a holiday weekend for US/NA, but it was for CANADA (Canada Day weekend arguably boosted its Sunday gross)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1