Eric S'ennui

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

So it seems who ever has a shot at 375m DOM can win the domestic summer crown and whoever has a shot at 750m WW can win the worldwide summer crown.

Which summer movies have the best chance?

Edited by grey ghost

15 minutes ago, Flopped said:

What's everyone's top 10 movies of 1989? 

Mine: 

1. When Harry Met Sally 

2. The Little Mermaid 

3. Do the Right Thing 

4. Say Anything 

5. Crimes & Misdemeanors 

6.  Dead Calm 

7. Heathers 

8. Parenthood 

9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 

10. Lethal Weapon 2 

IndieWire on Twitter: "Steven Soderbergh says he has already written three  scripts in quarantine. One of them is a 'Sex, Lies, and Videotape' sequel:  https://t.co/YmNaadUT9W https://t.co/QwNtkv7Eqo" / Twitter

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So it seems who ever has a shot at 375m DOM can win the domestic summer crown and whoever has a shot at 750m WW can win the worldwide summer crown.

Isn't Guardian's going to cross 750M+ WW somewhat comfortably? Or, maybe, it's 5/5 release date keeps it from being a summer blockbuster?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Was the original little mermaid even popular overseas like Aladin and other Disney princess stories?

Yes. In its initial release the movie made 100 million dollars overseas. 84 million domestically. Thats an 46/54 DOM/OS ratio.

I think the VHS copies sold like hotcakes in LATAM and European countries.

57 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Was the original little mermaid even popular overseas like Aladin and other Disney princess stories?

Yes as someone said it made 100M+ overseas which for 1989 was meaningful. But keep in mind that in 1989 animation had been flopping for years and was seen as silly kids' suff. So Mermaid had a real uphill battle. Despite the gushing praise from critics and stellar wom, some people were simply not going to see "a cartoon" in theatres. 

Mermaid walked so Beauty, Aladdin and Lion King could run. Their successes were built off of Ariel's back. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Uncle Buck, Major League and The Wizard were fun that year too. I think Dead Poets might be that year too.

It was. Gosh, even the bad movies were fun. She-Devil is more entertaining than basically any Netflix original movie. I actually forgot War of the Roses, which would make my top 5. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

1989 these movies came out:

Batman 89 (first movie)

Ghostbuster 2 (Sequel)

Indy and The Last Crusade (Sequel)

The Little Mermaid (Stand alone)

2023 these movies are releasing:

Flash (First Flash movie, Keaton is featured in the film from Batman 89)

Ghostbusters Afterlife 2 is coming (Sequel)

Indy 5 (Sequel)

The Little Mermaid (Stand Alone Remake)

great-scott-surprised.gif

1989- Back to the Future Part II

2023- Back to the Future the Musicial debuts on Broadway

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Isn't Guardian's going to cross 750M+ WW somewhat comfortably? Or, maybe, it's 5/5 release date keeps it from being a summer blockbuster?

Nah I think it counts as a summer movie.

Top 10 from 89...

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 

Glory
Lethal Weapon 2 
Major League
Skin Deep
Three Fugitives
Born on the 4th of July
The Mighty Quinn
Parenthood
War of the Roses

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Still don’t buy this. That would basically give us the worst summer #1 admissions ever by a pretty disastrous amount (obviously 2020/21 don’t count). Something will easily clear 400+ imo, and looking more and more likely to be Barbie if you ask me. I guess we really shouldn’t all be counting MI out either given a possible TGM effect and a decade of franchise goodwill, but still seems hard to buy. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I liked BatB fine enough, and jungle book was great, but honestly the lion king remake was probably the most soulless disappointing film I've ever seen. I was so hype cause the cast seemed great, especially Donald Glover, but man was absolutely no emotion delivered from any of those actors. Most phoned in performances I've ever seen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Just here to say GotG3 is slaying so hard. Shame that Spider-Verse and The Flash will affect its legs a lot.

Fast 11 needs to cost 200M at best and needs to be an ending. No more nonsense Vin.

But he keeps talking about all the spinoffs he's going to make lol