Eric the Minion

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

Little Mermaid opening meets the pre-release tracking so Disney must be satisfied there. If you had asked me back when King Mickey was greenlighting the live-action remakes of The Big 4 what would finish with the least amount (though still destined to be huge) I would've guessed Mermaid so $300M+ total should be a guarantee between summer weekdays coming up and little in the way of truly direct competition until Barbie.

Guardians 3 is holding pretty well still. Could make a play for $350M+ total (and close to a 3x multiplier) after all.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Universal has some problems. They ran their two big live action franchises, Jurassic and Fast, into the ground

At least they still have the Minions and now the Nintendo Cinematic Universe. 

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Hollywood has been pushing her for years and if Snow White flops she's pretty much done as a leading lady. Flop after flop hurts most established actresses just look at Margot Robbie whose career is on a plank right now. 

Margot would've played in Jean Claude Van Damme's flicks at this point if it was 90s, the only star that survived this kind of row of massive bombs at the time is John Travolta, she's so lucky to live in 2023 when the worst thing that could happen to her is collecting checks on streaming or supporting roles in big films instead of leading roles.

I don't think the dwarfs would translate well into live action.

Also I don't think people realize how much little people get teased over stuff like this.

Either way Snow White was never gonna be the next BatB.

Unimpressed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

The most important thing is the movie be good, a movie can be super right wing and be good, a movie can be super woke and be good too. When they are good people from the opposite spectrum try (but c. fail) to erase what it said, if the movie is woke they say is conservative, if it is conservative they say it is woke. 

Like Mad Max Fury Road a super woke (possibly wokest feminist films ever, blackpill testosterone feminism) film where just 2 guys are good, but every other men is a POS. All the women literally All important women are good, and amazing. Testosterone bad, Estrogen good. But the movie is good.

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

They can win by ignoring the cry babies and put in the dwarves. Only a tiny negligible percent of people will be offended if they casted dwarves.

Well you called them cry babies so I’m assuming it depends on which side you sit on. 

This is also a statement we’ll see all over social media next year 

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Universal has some problems. They ran their two big live action franchises, Jurassic and Fast, into the ground

They can squeeze some more juice from Jurassic if they reduce those crazy real budgets, but after 1-2 flicks with the same level of quality it's done for a decade.

Little Mermaid is reminding me quite a bit of Oz the Great and Powerful. If I remember correctly, that opened to 69M OS. Domestic is stronger, but WOM doesn’t seem as strong as Aladdin.

Expecting 315M DOM, 570M WW.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kon said:

Apparently, it's offensive to use dwarfs.

27 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Yeah I remember somewhere the rumor (at the time) they weren't casting dwarves cause it was offensive to little people and the little people l e said  'so you want to take jobs away from us?'

They ... they do know that dwarfs are a fantasy race ... ??

Meaning its like the dwarfs in LOTR - they are not like "dwarfs" as in little people in the real world. Does Disney realize how dumb it sounds to make a remake of Snow White without nearly all of the characters from that film?

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This will be the narrative the usual suspects post on social media when it comes to release time. Therefore, it’ll be an uphill battle. They can’t win. 

Employ the dwarves: this is inappropriate/offensive. 

Don’t have dwarves: where are the jobs for dwarves? 

Hobbit and LOTR is so offensive then retrospectively 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well you called them cry babies so I’m assuming it depends on which side you sit on. 

I'm not on any political side I'm on the side of normal people who don't take offense to any little thing they see on screen. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Has a picture of Mad Max the most anti men film in recent, super woke film, like it was said if people find the movie good political message, not matter, both right wing and left wing, look at birth of a nation. 

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Little Mermaid is reminding me quite a bit of Oz the Great and Powerful. If I remember correctly, that opened to 69M OS. Domestic is stronger, but WOM doesn’t seem as strong as Aladdin.

Expecting 315M DOM, 570M WW.

Expect less overseas where it might not make $200M.

Just now, Godzilla said:

I'm not on any political side I'm on the side of normal people who don't take offense to any little thing they see on screen. 

I didn’t say politics. I meant side of the argument. 

I really don’t care either way lol. I’m interested in seeing Little Mermaid, but I don’t usually even enjoy the Disney cartoons, never mind the live action remakes, so I’m not invested. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

The people who'll go to watch the movie are much more in number than people who take offense on everything.

But if you alienate general audience then you'll end up in a ditch.

What even are Magical Creatures, will Disney make them Photorealistic too.

Snow White Reaction GIF by Disney Princess

just have them look like this! It’s not like they looked human compared to Snow White.  Everybody adores the dwarfs characters as they are in the original. Having them be anything other than looking like Disney’s ones is a disaster of a decision if true.