Eric Quinn

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

Some time I sited Disney + is ruining marvel and yeah same correctly said it would not be an issue if the shows were good.

My whole argument is that streaming shows require an abundance of new content to keep subscribers interested by that alone puts strain on creatives to rush out content hence getting sub standard content.

Disney + has a good library of content which can bring people back esp kids . 
But when it comes to content creation it's where things get difficult. Disney has two major ips that attract subscribers Marvel and Starwars , 

Most subscribers are attracted towards these two IPS  and it's what drives subscribers and generates buzz on Disney +

In terms of content creation, Disney + is spread thin and have to heavily rely on this two IPS and as a result have  just started  milking them out for content.

Netflix ,Max ,Amazon and apple +  you can access alot of new shows and original content  and they tend to be varied  compared to D+ which is very IP driven and just find it difficult to create original content.

Disney + has simply stretched them thin and we all know even with the movie division Disney  has trouble creating original content .

They don't know what to do with 20th century studios. I'm going to stand by this . Disney purchase of 20th century was  one of the worst things to happen to the industry.

2010s were great for Disney but in the process creativity took a hit.

Before it's said I know the animation and old Disney properties also heavily drive subscriptions but those are the libraries subscribers have wealth of stuff to pick from .

my major emphasis is on content creation aspect which is just diluting their brands.

How many times can these companies keep coming back to the same well exactly? You can only re-imagine, re-present, and repackage these characters and stories so many times before the public grows tired of them. No one seems to want to build up new properties.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Godzilla 2014 wasnt really a disappointment finanicially imo. Yes, its legs sucked, but a Godzilla movie opening to 90M DOM and grossing 500M WW is a big success in any reality.

I would say Godzilla 2 is a good example. It had crazy hype on the internet but opened poorly and flopped

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

How many times can these companies keep coming back to the same well exactly? You can only re-imagine, re-present, and repackage these characters and stories so many times before the public grows tired of them. No one seems to want to build up new properties.

Yes that's the major conundrum of modern Hollywood and also audiences have become so IP driven today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince Eric said:

Of course, in the end, Disney getting knocked down these pegs is an objectively good thing? Like things were getting dreadful for the other studios because Disney demanded so much market space and box office might. Now things are a lot more evened out, which means stronger competition, which means better movies for everybody. Like we should all be happy Disney is being hit like this.

The idea of better movies due to competition isn't so right.

In theory, competition force companies to offer a better service. For example: Better prices to consumers.

However, quality in storytelling isn't guarantee, since companies don't really have control about quality or creativity.

Edited by Kon

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I would say Godzilla 2 is a good example. It had crazy hype on the internet but opened poorly and flopped

King of the monsters?

The original fans complained there wasn't enough godxzilla

The sequel they complained there was too much.....lulz

17 minutes ago, M37 said:

In general I agree, but with the over-reliance on super hero/tent pole films, nobody is really poised to step up. Sony has Spidey, but WB is re-whatever with DC, Universal has Jurassic on hold while F&F has run its course, and Paramount has … Transformers?

In the long run will be good, but Disney being down now means the entirety of box office will be down, and in a post-COVID & streaming world that’s already struggling to bring people in 

Spidey, Illumination, Avatar and whatever MCU brings in are going to have to shoulder a lot of load for a couple of years

Well that’s on the studios for milking franchises to death and being too piss-scared. It’s good karma. But just because Disney movies are down doesn’t mean they aren’t still going to be revenue generators for theaters. Like we’re all handwringing whether Little Mermaid will be profitable or not, it’s still going to be in the top 10 domestically and 285M is a lot for theaters. Marvel is also still at a point where it’s not like Doctor Strange 3 or whatever will do even sub-300, let alone sub-100.

And at the end of the day, trends always change and people move on. A new trend will take its place eventually and while the state and number of theaters will be different, it’s still going to be around. My main hope would be a rebirth of New Hollywood, but that is obviously a pipe dream. Regardless, we’ll be fine. It will all be fine.

• Like 1

Legs are gonna be pretty bad based off it going from 6.7mil ahead of Aladdin by Friday night to only being 700k~ ahead by the end of tonight based off estimates. It'll need 11.3 Tuesday to stay ahead if things hold

• Like 1

Can we get a vote on letting the mods pull a "The Purge" and allow racial debate and strife for the next 10 hours in order to get this thread to 100 pages before the end of the memorial day weekend? Any ayes?

I like these remakes, the last two were crap though, Mulan did look better in first trailer but after that it was just complete downer. The Little Mermaid looked like trash from first trailer itself. 

more Aladdin please but guess not much left to remake. Hate they already doing Moana.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Can we get a vote on letting the mods pull a "The Purge" and allow racial debate and strife for the next 10 hours in order to get this thread to 100 pages before the end of the memorial day weekend? Any ayes?

Why are you guys so obsessed with page counts?

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pls dont remind me.

Thats still the biggest box office injustice of all time.

• Sad 1

Disney history is pretty directly correlated to WDAS’ success and quality output. Basically everytime WDAS is in a groove, the company succeeds, and every time they’re in a rut, the company struggles. Maybe because WDAS is pretty much the essence of what Disney as a brand is in the first place. A lack of quality output from WDAS pretty much means there is something bigger wrong with execs not understanding what the brand is (spoiler: the company lives or dies by its creatives getting to be creative).

Most consider Encanto the end of WDAS highly successful “Revival” era, correlating with Disney’s massive success on the whole between 2010-2020. And Strange World was a really really concerning start to the new one. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Disney history is pretty directly correlated to WDAS’ success and quality output. Basically everytime WDAS is in a groove, the company succeeds, and every time they’re in a rut, the company struggles. Maybe because WDAS is pretty much the essence of what Disney as a brand is in the first place.

Disney Animation was in a rut in the 2000s box office wise, but they still had Pixar doing the heavylifting for them.

1 hour ago, Prince Eric said:

Of course, in the end, Disney getting knocked down these pegs is an objectively good thing? Like things were getting dreadful for the other studios because Disney demanded so much market space and box office might. Now things are a lot more evened out, which means stronger competition, which means better movies for everybody. Like we should all be happy Disney is being hit like this.

I knew before clicking that the person who did knock it off reaction is @charlie Jatinder

Edited by THUNDER BIRD