Eric Loves Rey

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think the highest I have paid for a movie ticket is ₹450 for Zero (2018)

Other than that its usually ₹200-250 ($2.5-3). Purchase Power Parity adjusted that’s like $20-25. There is no premium format near me so its just 2D & 3D.

Pathaan for me - 800 plus BMS charge

Bought 3 tickets so 2400 plus BMS charge. 

I have a question why is Little Mermaid considered a flop but Cruella’s budget was pretty close  and it made $233 million worldwide but Disney has already commissioned a sequel and signed Emma to star in the sequel?

I wonder if Disney would consider it a success because of the cultural impact on the African American community? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Domestic TLM 4-day opening under am3, internationally it will be interesting battle. 

Well, TLM will absolutely have better legs than AM3 domestically. Of course, overseas is another matter though.

I think people are kinda glossing over that if a movie has to higher share DOM v. OS for the WW total, it's absolutely to have a higher share DOM and the studio sees more of that money. In some cases like China, substantially more of it. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I have a question why is Little Mermaid considered a flop but Cruella’s budget was pretty close  and it made $233 million worldwide but Disney has already commissioned a sequel and signed Emma to star in the sequel?

I wonder if Disney would consider it a success because of the cultural impact on the African American community? 

Cruella was simultaneously released in theaters and Disney+ (charging $29.99 additional cost in the streaming). In itself, it's surprising that Cruella reached so big box office in these conditions.

Unfortunately, we don't know how many people pay the additional cost in Disney+ to see Cruella early.

I don't think Disney care so much about the impact in the African American community if this doesn't bring profits.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Was Cruella's budget close? The only semi-reliable sources I can find on its budget are IndieWire and Scott Mendelson both saying $100M (nothing from Deadline et al that I can find). It also was undoubtedly a lot more affected by COVID and had Premier Access, so its total box office is deflated

Edited by harrisonisdead

4 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Was Cruella's budget close? The only semi-reliable sources I can find on its budget are IndieWire and Scott Mendelson both saying $100M (nothing from Deadline et al that I can find). It also was undoubtedly a lot more affected by COVID and had Premier Access, so its total box office is deflated

Both Screenrant and Indiewire said it was $200 million, but I don’t think Disney will ever really tell us.

24 minutes ago, joselowe said:

On the other side of this: *is Cruella 2 happening*? I dont see any movement on most pandemic sequel announcements. Are we sure they mostly werent ways to molify talent screwed by premiere access swap with some sort of sequel down payment?

19 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I don’t understand where this idea that Nolan has lost favor with the general audience came from. If anything, Tenet doing as much as it did despite the circumstances of its release and a more mixed response than his last few films showed that he’s still one of the few name directors.

There was this strange sudden surge of vitriol towards Nolan during covid.

It all came down to IMO Nolan being against HBO max day 1 releases and liking theatres and speaking out about it.

There was this strange celebration by certain people that wanted theatres to die, everything to be streaming day 1. 

Nolan and Dennis and the like were being labeled elitist and out of touch dinosaurs. 

29 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Cruella costs 105M (the ~200M figures included marketing) 

So not, not the same thing, especially because Cruella earn extra money from Premiere Access (and it was one of the most successful ones in this bizarre idea) and there was still a pandemic. 

13 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Both Screenrant and Indiewire said it was $200 million, but I don’t think Disney will ever really tell us.

I linked to IndieWire saying $100M, and I don't think ScreenRant is a reliable source for this information. I'm inclined to believe the budget was closer to that than to $200M.

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

There was this strange celebration by certain people that wanted theatres to die, everything to be streaming day 1. 

Glad those losers ended up being wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Dominic Draper said:

There was this strange sudden surge of vitriol towards Nolan during covid.

It all came down to IMO Nolan being against HBO max day 1 releases and liking theatres and speaking out about it.

Nolan and Dennis and the like were being labeled elitist and out of touch dinosaurs. 

To be fair, Tenet rollout was indeed absurd and inconsequential for such an expensive movie. 

With that said, we’re seeing movies struggling to get +300M OS even today, so i definitely don’t know why people think doing that before even vaccines was ready was a bad result.

The only truly disaster numbers was from US but we all know why that happened. 

I doubt any of this will matter for Oppenheimer, this movie have insanely good engagement on social media and anyone thinking it will be a huge flop or something is blind. I don’t know how big it will go, i’m thinking something around Dunkirk but a bit lower which would be amazing for a 100M movie and the type of movie it is.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why the hell would anyone spend $200m on a Cruella movie? Did Disney just needed to burn money?:hahaha:

Well they didn’t and Cruella is arguably one of their best received movies based on animation with both critics and audiences so the 100M they actually spend on it was well worth it.

I’m pretty sure if that movie came out now with a way healthier market place and without Premiere Access, we would be looking at 550-600M gross for a 100M budget.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joselowe said:

The wiki says the budget was $100-200 million. This just shows we don't have clear information.

As I said, theaters box office ($233 million) aside, they also charged $29.99 additional in Disney+ to see Cruella early. So, I think the total income (which we don't know) make a Cruella sequel look like a good idea at that point.

That said, I don't think Disney continue to see Cruella sequel as a good idea. I haven't heard anything about that since 2021.