Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

18 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Fast X - best FnF movie in years. Insane shit still happens but it's boosted by its best villain to date and some bit of thought went it to the screenplay. Pacing was excellent had a blast.

But Vin Diesel blames Momoa for bad reviews. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

I saw Transformers this afternoon. My kid was super excited for it, so we went with a few other families as part of a larger group.

I haven't really watched the transformer movies. I think I saw the first two films back in the day, and saw Bumblebee recently in advance of this film.

I thought it was pretty good. This seems like an effective film to get the kids and parents. Tje plot is coherent. Honestly, Pete Davidson as Mirage was pretty good casting. Ramos was a pretty good human lead for this.

I know the price tag on this film is high, but, this film leaves the brand in good enough shape, that making future films seems possible with the right script.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, screambaby said:

Antman

Ant-Man's total cost is ~480M (200M budget + 140M P&A + 140M other costs), and its total revenue is approx the same ($205M theatrical revenue + 280–300M ancillary revenue), so its not making any profit but also not losing money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh i think that’s what they meant: Little Mermaid had a bigger 3 day than Aladdin. Bigger 4 day too ;) 

Bigger 3 day, 4 day, 7 day and 10 day despite much stronger competition!

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

As an overseas member, I don’t think Will Smith had much to do with it lol, the original Aladdin was just really popular back in the day. 

Tbf the rest of the Aladdin cast was also POC. Ditto for the lead kid in The Jungle Book and The Lion King.

The successful white led live action remakes also had really big pre-established stars like Depp, Jolie and Watson. Something TLM doesn't (McCarthy has never been a big OS draw like Depp, Jolie and the HP films). And they came out in far less crowded timeframes. So there are multiple factors to consider here before concluding "OS is racist" or "POC leads don't sell" like some posters here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

As an overseas member, I don’t think Will Smith had much to do with it lol, the original Aladdin was just really popular back in the day. 

I think they mean because TLM had a bigger opening weekend. 

Yeah. I like Will Smith, but I don't know why people assume he is a big draw for OS audience.

In fact, the first OS weekend of Aladdin wasn't so different from TLM (sans Asian countries). The reason why Aladdin was big in OS were the legs, which I don't think Will Smith has so much influence.

Edited by Kon

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

See, there's no way to prove this is actually happening. TLM obviously performed better than Aladdin DOM because of Halle Bailey. We don't know how big Mermaid is as an IP internationally  but of the big Renaissance films, it was the smallest, so were some places like say China all that crazy about Ariel in the first place, even if she were played by a white actress? Ironically Will Smith was the reason for Aladdin's OS overperformance.

If the Spider-Verse films hadn't starred Miles, they'd just be viewed as amusing little also-rans like The Lego Batman movie that came out not long after the Nolan Bat trilogy wrapped.

I'm pretty sure the Little Mermaid is big on East Asian countries. At least, mermaids seem to be really popular in these countries.

Honestly, it isn't so difficult to imagine the result in China or South Korea will likely be better with a white actress. Even if we don't like the reasons why these could happen.

Edited by Kon