Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Anyone else joining me on the "Andy Muschietti will eventually drop out of Brave and the Bold due to creative differences" club after this The Flash reception and numbers? 

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and don't understand what kids today are into, but I think this whole transmedia, "tie in movies with TV shows and video games and comics" stuff that James Gunn and Papa Feige are doing will never work out. They may try it, and others likely will, but it will never work out. The Matrix did this back in the 2000s, and it just made the sequels confusing and weird, even if I am a touch more favorable towards them than others. And after two or so years of the Marvel Disney+ shows, the popularity and discussion feels like it's been getting smaller and smaller with every single show as even a lot of Marvel die-hards don't seem to care all that much. And frankly, they have made this whole saga feel awkard and disjointed.

These are just all mediums that are way too different from one another to ever really click and connect IMO to create something wholly satisfying. Almost all the Marvel shows could have been turned into 2.5 hour movies and nothing would change. And honestly, I think that would only drive interest in movies and theatergoing down even harder. Why should I watch something that has elements from a TV show and video game I have no desire to see or play? That's way too insular and won't appeal to some casual GA member who just wants to have fun watching a movie.

Even if a movie is written where you don't have to know what happened in a random TV show, it's still going to feel a little awkard, like you missed what happened on last night's homework assignment. Like the trailer for The Marvels is only going to matter if you are excited to see a character from a movie most people thought was fine, a random supporting character who appeared in a TV show for like 5 minutes, and the main character of another TV show that nobody watched. I don't think there's a big audience sector for that.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So seeing superhero movies performance this year, I feel like The Marvels will end up in same ballpark of 400-500m ww and 600m at best. 

I mean if its good i can see 800~mil, but tthat'll snowball into Deadpool 3 maybe making 1bil next year.

They already have a dark and gritty Batman in the Reeves movie. If they have to have another Batman, he should be funny and silly. They should get Tim Robinson to write and star in the next Batman.

• Like 3

Just now, 21C said:

Anyone else joining me on the "Andy Muschietti will eventually drop out of Brave and the Bold due to creative differences" club after this The Flash reception and numbers? 

Nah i think Gunn will keep him on a TIGHT lease though, maybe he won’t let hims deal with the vfx vendors unsupervised anymore

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Gunn should try to get barbie poster boy Gosling for the Gunn Batman. He can brood. He can joke around. What more could you ask for!

Gosling isn’t very popular at the box office though. Hopefully Barbie reverses his career. 

I get where the "Muschietti will drop out of batman" thoughts are coming from, but Gunn seems like the type to really stick with his guys and if he's already decided Muschietti is one of his guys then that's that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Nah i think Gunn will keep him on a TIGHT lease though, maybe he won’t let hims deal with the vfx vendors unsupervised anymore

Is he reaaally gonna want to have someone he has to babysit that much though? He's gonna be busy himself directing Superman and other stuff, that having to constantly be over Muschietti's shoulder would probably become too much of a hassle that's genuinely not worth dealing with.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

I get where the "Muschietti will drop out of batman" thoughts are coming from, but Gunn seems like the type to really stick with his guys and if he's already decided Muschietti is one of his guys then that's that.

I think he's gonna feel pressure from the WBD overlords and probably investors to drop him. This isn't an "oh i'm gonna put my brother in my movie" situation. He's now an executive that has to attract and keep comfortable the people that'd give him those 200 million dollar budgets. It's another scale now. 

Edited by 21C

Hot take: Both It movies are really bad. Instead of being scary horror movies with a sense of dread they're pretty much the Avengers with some gore. Mama was bad too. Perhaps, maybe, the guy just isn't very good.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Please don't say that. Please let me have hope.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

(Also muschietti showed a lot of fun visual flair that hopefully gunn saw and will try to tap into, instead of the wack ass cgi mess bits) 

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

This. Zack Snyder could have probably turned in a really decent series of Superman or Batman movies, if he'd have been kept on a tight leash. If Gunn does this with whoever is directing the DCU moving forward, it might stand a chance of being a bit better than what we've had.

Directors you can actually trust to do everything without a lot of oversight are very rare.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The studio will certainly be able to override if The Flash is shaping up to be as cataclysmic as people are expecting 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Gosling isn’t very popular at the box office though. Hopefully Barbie reverses his career. 

Bale and Pattinson weren’t major BO draws either before they became Batmen. I think it just comes down to if you buy them in the part (and the movie around them is good).

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

This. Zack Snyder could have probably turned in a really decent series of Superman or Batman movies, if he'd have been kept on a tight leash. If Gunn does this with whoever is directing the DCU moving forward, it might stand a chance of being a bit better than what we've had.

Directors you can actually trust to do everything without a lot of oversight are very rare.

The thing is:
1. Gunn barely has any experience at doing that at the moment.
2. Gunn will barely have any time to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Isn't there a rumor that Warner Bros is relying on The Flash to give them enough cash to properly promote their new projects? Their 2024 only has The Joker as the one project with the potential to gross $200,000,000+    

I hope this is true because Zaslav is such a piece of shit all his failures just highlight the embarrassment he already is and if anything may drive the board at WB to fire his ass before he has a chance to sell WB which he will the first chance he gets and he probably is going to ultimately lose money in the end and have to sell it for cheaper then he purchased it.

All the films he said were going to do great have all been giant flops both critically and financially.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 21C said:

I don’t think so. It’s not impossible, but unlikely imho.