Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It came out in 2011. Unless you count that as Twilight 4.5.

How funny is that? I'm probably the biggest male Twilight fan at this site and I completely forgot that breaking Dawn part 2 was actually the fifth movie LOL see what happens when you get older? Your brain turns to mush.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, 21C said:

Well, Ant-Man 3 and Shazam 2 had entire weekends to themselves while The Flash only has 1 so I'd say that the odds are really not in The Flash's favor to cross that 300m mark. 

Well good news in the sense that it can avoid going under 250m without any competition next week. If it had some strong competition then I would have entertained that possibility. Right now I am seeing it in the 275-300 range. 

8 hours ago, TMP said:

Barbie and Dune 2 feel like the only WB movies for the remainder of this year I'm confident won't lose money. Feel like it's only a matter of when the next merger/acquisition is gonna be at this point

Evil Dead Rises and The Nun 2 would like a word with you. Im also rooting for Blue Beetle as well, love an underdog story 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm curious to know as to what you consider to be posting. What crap films you feel the studios are putting out that would fall under coasting? I'm genuinely curious what you think

More or less the entire superhero genre these days. Phase 4 and 5 of the MCU has seen a dramatic drop off in quality across the board (GotG 3 being the single exception probably) in terms of story, character, and FX. The DCEU has been a basket case for years, with poor movie after poor movie. The studios have taken the audience for granted.

On top of all that is Disney’s terrible treatment of Star Wars… and I very much doubt Indy 5 will be any different.

We are bombarded with CGI laden, poorly thought out movies, with bad story and paper thin characters, from an industry that is creatively extremely tired, and in dire need of a shake up, and some fresh blood.

The more major studios are punished for cynical movie making, the happier I am. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Evil Dead Rises and The Nun 2 would like a word with you. Im also rooting for Blue Beetle as well, love an underdog story 

Remainder of the year so ED: R doesn't count, but the Nun had toxic WOM to the point where I think it'll have a sizable drop. Also I've just given up on Blue Beetle, when even the trailer looks like a cartoon network original movie you know it's gonna have a bad run

1 hour ago, cahramel said:

My Spider-Verse screening was packed with teenagers.  

My 3rd (now convinced it’s a masterpiece, the definitive ESB of the animation medium) fully sold out (Santa Monica last night) screening last night had me sitting next to what I assume were current sorority sisters, whose reaction to the ending was a very passionate “that’s bullshit”

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Do you know the budget on Nun 2? 

WB treated Evil Dead Rise like an afterthought but it made almost 10x its budgets in theatres 

TLM budget bloated to 250m due to covid

Fast X budget is at 340m cause Lin left

MI7 budget bloats to 290m cause of COVID

IJ5 bloats to 295m cause covid and harrison ford injury

not much profit going around this summer due to circumstances out of control for studios for most part

• Like 1

In the 60s the big budget musicals/westerns/biblical movies where bombing harder with each new release, witch lead to an era of more bold and daring low budget movies that gave birth to the New Age Hollywood in the late 60s and early 70s. The comic book/IP Franchises/Disney movies are the equivalent of that in the 2020s. Movies like EEAAO from A24 proved that small budget movies can be successful in theaters and not just rely on streaming.

We are slowly entering in a new era, we just don't know what kind of movies will dominate the box office just yet.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

In the 60s the big budget musicals/westerns/biblical movies where bombing harder with each new release, witch lead to an era of more bold and daring low budget movies that gave birth to the New Age Hollywood in the late 60s and early 70s. The comic book/IP Franchises/Disney movies are the equivalent of that in the 2020s. Movies like EEAAO from A24 proved that small budget movies can be successful in theaters and not just rely on streaming.

We are slowly entering in a new era, we just don't know what kind of movies will dominate the box office just yet.

Blockbusters

14 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

That is way too simplified version of what happened.

For one thing,you take alook at the big moneymakers in the last 60's an dearly 70's for every low budget counter culture film that came along and was a hit 3 or 4 more conventinal films were hits. In 1970, when the counterculture was at it's height, the biggest money maker was the very conventional, very Hollywood "AirPort".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

you prepared for the Marvels [sic] to flop as well? 

Girl, we have been mourning this for a year. Even if it’s perfection, it stands no chance. Too many people want it to fail. 

• Sad 1

A Flash movie with 2 Batman's grosses less than "Black Adam" and only barely above "Shazam 2".   "Transformers" with a huge drop.  "Elemental" with one of Pixar's lowest openings.  Man That's a lot of bad headlines this weekend.   I honestly thought some of the 120-140 Flash talk was crazy personally.   But 55 is even lower than I could imagine.  Wow.  

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

wow just realized Elemental barely out opened Toy Story from 1995!

Ever hear sosomething called Inflation?Not denying that Elementals is a horrible flop, but not a valid comparasion.

• Like 1

Kind of a shame that both big movies this weekend were really solid films and they’re both the bombs of the year. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I’ve kind of accepted that me and critics, or me and audiences, won’t always agree on every movie. And that’s completely okay.

I just hope Muschiettei continues to get work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Kind of a shame that both big movies this weekend were really solid films and they’re both the bombs of the year. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I’ve kind of accepted that me and critics, or me and audiences, won’t always agree on every movie. And that’s completely okay.

I just hope Muschiettei continues to get work.

Muschietti will be okay. He and his sister still have the It movies and Mama under their belts and I’m sure they’ll stay on Brave And The Bold. At most if they don’t do another big budget film for a while they’ll just go back to horror like that Howling remake they announced a few years ago. Or maybe WB will move them to that Attack On Titan movie instead of Brave And The Bold.