Eric the Minion

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

24 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Hm? I post there sometimes but I'm generally not very active on reddit as a platform overall personally. Not really given up, just really a rare poster in general myself (assuming you even have my account right lol)

Hmm I thought you told me a while back. Started with a b?

Guys, I'm so so sorry. I tried to post a meme with the Lego movie characters about the state of the box office and my post got really screwed over hard with an insanely long javascript text.

I'm really embarrassed, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience I caused in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

This kinda shows that people were clowning on Dwayne Johnson too hard. Yes the Black Adam budget was too high, but that’s not his fault. In the context of this entire year, it’s BO is quite respectable for a completely unknown superhero

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dephira said:

This kinda shows that people were clowning on Dwayne Johnson too hard. Yes the Black Adam budget was too high, but that’s not his fault. In the context of this entire year, it’s BO is quite respectable for a completely unknown superhero

We all treated him too harshly. 

Turns out The Rock was the only thing keeping Black Adam from being a complete disaster. He truly is a star.

The fact that having him fight Cavill as Superman might've genuinely been a better idea financially feels wrong to say, but depending on how Gunn's DCU forms... I know it sounds hyperbolic, but still...

Edited by Koni
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The old DC universe was obv hurt by the announcement of the new DC universe, that's been discussed to death. What seems obv to me that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that if Gunn is supposed to shepherd this whole new universe into existence, why is he directing one of the movies. He's going to end up doing two jobs poorly rather than one job well.

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

It's really hard to overstate how bad this weekend has been. We'll need to see actuals and the reporting for a lot of the smaller films, but, this weekend is going to be around the same as last weekend for total box office it seems. That's despite having three new wide releases, two of which being $200M blockbusters that carried big expectations. Plus, it's a long weekend, and fathers day as well.

The amount of screens that the new releases took up resulted in the drops being harsher on the holdovers as well.

Just horrible all around. I wonder how it's been for theatres. They likely were expecting bigger crowds and may have overstaffed in preparation. For anyone working a theatre this weekend, I'd be curious as to how the vibe has been.

The vibe:

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Koni said:

Turns out The Rock was the only thing keeping Black Adam from being a complete disaster. He truly is a star.

The fact that having him fight Cavill as Superman might've genuinely been a better idea financially feels wrong to say, but depending on how Gunn's DCU forms... I know it sounds hyperbolic, but still...

No, we didn't treat him harshly enough. Black Adam still lost boatloads of money with his star demands and having him fight Cavill's Superman would be even more expensive. Snyderverse is dead, get over it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MattW said:

The old DC universe was obv hurt by the announcement of the new DC universe, that's been discussed to death. What seems obv to me that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that if Gunn is supposed to shepherd this whole new universe into existence, why is he directing one of the movies. He's going to end up doing two jobs poorly rather than one job well.

I get the sense that he took the job to be able to do the Superman movie in the way that results in the least amount of studio interference.

And while you worry about spreading himself thin, it's admirable if he's approaching it with the passion for the project.

If he truly has a very specific vision for the film, hiring a director and then not giving them free reign is the worst outcome.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, M37 said:

Distribution of guesses for the Flash OW Contest. Blue dot is guess nearest to the median/average/geomean, around $69.5M, and green is cloest to where the current estimate stands ... via @Into the Legion-Verse, who absolutely called the trashy IM

hyLVzrU.png

Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

If only I had stuck to my initial 54.321 😆

Couldn’t see this reception coming, but the Fri sales were pretty yikes the whole way through plus relatively predictable +10ish Sat -single sun taking 1.6x to a 6x.

13 minutes ago, Koni said:

Cavill had no contract with the studio, though.

12 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Gotta love the spin here 

TLlM was expected to make major bank...gonn bomb/flop unless a miracle happens...people trying to spin it into being a hit

Not much was expected of spideyverse 

...original made less then 400 million worldwide.

Gonna make more money then TLM at a third of the budget...and posters are saying it didn't make enough?

The people claiming Spiderverse didn't do enough are using "logic" that the Avatar concern trolls used until it literally went over 500 mil. Ignore them. Spiderverse is an absolute beast of an animated film and has vastly exceeded anything other than Mario this year. No one was expecting it to do No Way Home numbers. 

I don't know about TLM's profitability or not but Spiderverse has certainly co existed quite well with it.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

I doubt he wants to micromanage things like Feige. Also, he's got Safran for that.

Just now, JWR said:

Cavill had no contract with the studio, though.

The Cavill thing always seemed like a last ditch play by the Rock to somehow get creative control/pull within DC rather than something the company had planned long term. And it clearly never made the Snyder diehards shut up even when its hype was at its peak.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

The Cavill thing always seemed like a last ditch play by the Rock to somehow get creative control/pull within DC rather than something the company had planned long term. And it clearly never made the Snyder diehards shut up even when its hype was at its peak.

Both The Rock and Cavill are/were represented by the same agents iirc.