Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

I ain’t reading all those pages, so apologies if double posted, but Deadline has an update 

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Industry estimates show that Andy Muschietti’s The Flash from Warner Bros’ DC is heading for a Friday around $26M, which will yield a 3-day around $64M, and 4-day north of $72M+ at 4,234 theaters.

Second place at 4,035 is Disney/Pixar’s Elemental with $11M today, a 3-day of $33M, and 4-day of $36M.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I have watched the first two episodes of the new season of Black Mirror and they’re excellent. 

Especially the second one, whew. 

Josh Hartnett is in an episode which was both very good and too dark for my taste, be advised. 

"FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Industry estimates show that Andy Muschietti’s The Flash from Warner Bros’ DC is heading for a Friday around $26M, which will yield a 3-day around $64M, and 4-day north of $72M+ at 4,234 theaters."

Second place at 4,035 is Disney/Pixar’s Elemental with $11M today, a 3-day of $33M, and 4-day of $36M. Yikes, let’s hope it gets better.

The good news is that holdovers remain very strong to the point where six films alone right now are amounting to $168M for the weekend ($184.4M over the 4-day Juneteenth holiday). Sony Animation’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse booked at 3,873 theaters is looking at a $8.4M third Friday, $28.9M third weekend, -48%, 4-day of $34.3M and running total of $286.8M by Monday

Paramount/Skydance/Hasbro’s Transformers: Rise of the Beasts at 3,680 is seeing a second Friday of $5.5M, 3-day of $20.5M, -66%, 4-day of $23.5M 

Disney’s The Little Mermaid at 3,480 theaters is eyeing a fourth Friday of $4M, 3-day of $13.1M (-43%), 4-day of $15.3M and running total by Monday of $257.2M.

Lionsgate’s The Blackening at 1,775 theaters per industry estimates is eyeing $2.3M today (including $900K previews), $5.5M 3-day and $6.3M over four days. 

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-the-flash-elemental-ezra-miller-1235418741/

Deadline

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Anyone seen Elemental yet? Thoughts? Trying to get hyped about new Pixar after they've burned me a couple of times lately

I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn’t say it’s one of the best Pixar films of all time but it’s pretty solid. It hits very close to home if you’re an immigrant or a child of immigrants.

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I ain’t reading all those pages, so apologies if double posted, but Deadline has an update 

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Industry estimates show that Andy Muschietti’s The Flash from Warner Bros’ DC is heading for a Friday around $26M, which will yield a 3-day around $64M, and 4-day north of $72M+ at 4,234 theaters.

Second place at 4,035 is Disney/Pixar’s Elemental with $11M today, a 3-day of $33M, and 4-day of $36M.

Early Deadline but this does sound about right. 64 would be bad but not the worst. We'll see how it goes though.

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Christian Bale would've been more universally appealing.

Bale no doubt puts many more butts in seats but even now, and I feel very old writing this, but that entire series just feels old, too, for kids today. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I Wonder if Chalamet is gonna sing for real in Wonka. Do we know if has a good voice? Or are they gonna Emma Watson him?

Audrey Hepburn him would be better. Dubbin big name actors and  actresses in musicals who really can't sing that well used to happen all the time.

Frankly,it would have been better if Johnny Depp had been dubbed in "Sweeney Todd". He did not have anywere near the singing voice that role requires.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

In the US this is  a four day weekend for many people because of the Juneteenth Holiday.

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

64 isn’t happening off of 26, and 26 isn’t happening unless things pick up. Right now I’d go 15-16.5-15 FSS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

If Deadline could, they'd change the '4' in the title's font size to as small as possible

With Elemental doing so poorly, Mermaid looks like it's not getting the bump from double features, but is instead hurt more by just the overall loss of showings (seeing about the same loss as Spidey).

That said, this is Deadline and holdover predictions don't tend to be its forte...

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, men still showed up, and they'd be the ones more swayed by the ads.

Women staying home en masse due to lack of interest, probably due to the lead's issues, is the story of the movie.

Oh I don’t disagree with this either. However, WB had little control over Ezra’s actions.

the definitely had control over the marketing, hence the decision to hype it as one of the best ever made is…. Something. 

And yes, some men showed up. But not as many as they thought would. I mean, we’re talking possible under 60 million. Ouch. 

but yes, the female audience rejecting Ezra is also a big part of the story. But there are many parts (and none very helpful to its BO!)

33M for Elemental would be the first +30M opening for an original animation since 2020 … let’s call it a win omg 

(ok it’s awful i know, and even sounds a bit overestimated from an 11M FRI + Previews, but this one can have good walkups so let’s see)

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I have watched the first two episodes of the new season of Black Mirror and they’re excellent. 

Especially the second one, whew. 

Exciting. I will play some Valorant and make sure to watch it before sleeping lol.

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: Both It movies are really bad. Instead of being scary horror movies with a sense of dread they're pretty much the Avengers with some gore. Mama was bad too. Perhaps, maybe, the guy just isn't very good.

Well I'm probably in the typical camp that says the first one was really good. It wasn't perfect but I don't think you can make it perfect IT movie unless you make it a series for at least one season long. But I really connected with the kids in the first one and I thought they nailed a lot of their personas from the book. What I didn't like is some of the modifications they made. And that has to go on the director as well.

The second one where it was all the adult story was pretty bad. I mean they deviated so much from the book that it was scary. And I didn't really care for Mama that much either so take that for what it's worth.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Looking at the demos - women refused to watch the lead.  I've never seen a supers movie split 76-24 - that's an INSANE rejection by 2 demos.  

Nothing more needs to be said if this comes in under Transformers...

Well, this make a whole heck of a lot more sense than the goofy claims that the WB hyping it is what hurt it. Thanks for presenting some sense/reason in the discussion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: Both It movies are really bad. Instead of being scary horror movies with a sense of dread they're pretty much the Avengers with some gore. Mama was bad too. Perhaps, maybe, the guy just isn't very good.

Not a hot take but a fact. The only good thing about the first IT were the performances and the only good thing about Mama was Chastain. The less said about IT2, the better 

Edited by Flopped

5 minutes ago, Joel M said:

yeah, maybe you're exaggerating a bit

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2002/apr/21/features.magazine

No, the media hype around him was unmissable and absurd. Those types of articles were showing up on a weekly basis it seemed. Pretty sure he was on the cover of one of those "most beautiful people" magazines at one point around this time.