YM!

Weekday Thread | TUE - Flash $5.28M, Elementals $5.0M, Spidey $4.7M, Transformer $2.8M, TLM $2.2M

Elemental's Wednesday hold is weaker than i expected. I guess this dash any hope of going over $20m this weekend. With the help from return PLF, ATSV stand a bigger chance to come out as number 1 in 4th weekend.  

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

And since we are talking Marvels, let me say what I said on a different thread yesterday: Captain Marvel is such a banger of a Marvel Studios film. It’s been a while since I made a rewatch of that, and I did in prep for Secret Invasion and holy shit, talk about a film that has aged well. Brie Larson is a beast as Carol Danvers, and I’m actually confident that people underplaying Marvels are in for some reckoning. I want to rewatch all the films eventually in chronological order (never did that) after the Summer season, but I really think Captain Marvel jumped some ranks on my favorite MCU list yesterday. A lot of the emotional beats between Carol, Maria and Monica Rambeau hit a lot harder knowing what we know from WandaVision.

I used to really defend it back when it came out because of all the Larson hate online, but yea now I kind of recognize it as low-tier MCU. Still not a bottom 5, but especially when you sit back and consider the rest of Phase 3, it doesn't look great. Seems like a film that got over too many rewrites and studio notes to get right that ends up not really investing into any of its cool ideas. The Marvels looks and sounds better.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

On the bright side maybe they stop making multiverse movies after Beyond the spider-verse. 

Unfortunately we’re saddled with like 4 more years of this 🥴

5 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I used to really defend it back when it came out because of all the Larson hate online, but yea now I kind of recognize it as low-tier MCU. Still not a bottom 5, but especially when you sit back and consider the rest of Phase 3, it doesn't look great. Seems like a film that got over too many rewrites and studio notes to get right that ends up not really investing into any of its cool ideas. The Marvels looks and sounds better.

I say give it a rewatch. I feel like I felt a lot like you are saying it now, but time has truly made this one better, especially when you take in consideration everything we know now. A lot of the emotional beats hit harder, and knowing Maria’s fate made me cry yesterday. Captain Marvel had no business making me cry after 4 years and yet it did. If you follow the MCU, I say that this film is sort of like Age of Ultron that time actually made that film better. I wouldn’t rank this one above Doctor Strange for example, after yesterday I think I kinda  would. I was legitimately surprised how much I enjoyed, wasn’t expecting it.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I say give it a rewatch. I feel like I felt a lot like you are saying it now, but time has truly made this one better, especially when you take in consideration everything we know now. A lot of the emotional beats hit harder, and knowing Maria’s fate made me cry yesterday. Captain Marvel had no business making me cry after 4 years and yet it did. If you follow the MCU, I say that this film is sort of like Age of Ultron that time actually made that film better. I wouldn’t rank this one above Doctor Strange for example, after yesterday I think I kinda  would. I was legitimately surprised how much I enjoyed, wasn’t expecting it.

I don't think it's that great but it's nowhere near the bottom of the MCU at all

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, M37 said:

It looks like Flash sucked up some of ATSV's usual Tuesday audience, then on Wed they hit their base level. Thinking $17.5M-$19M+ weekend from here, at least second if not first place

Yeah I think some people who were on the fence about checking out the flash decided that watching it at a discount was the only deal for them, hence the decent Tuesday number. Now it's gonna be all downhill from here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

To be fair, low-tier MCU is still pretty decent and enjoyable in my eyes. Though I guess it's more mid-tier, especially now that Love and Thunder and Quantumania have come to join the bottom and those weren't decent at all.

• Like 2

My big problems with CM are the same now as the day I watched it — prequel+amnesiac plot gives us very little time with “what is carol danvers actually like as a person.” Marvels will fix that at last.

Just now, Bobzaruni said:

I don't think it's that great but it's nowhere near the bottom of the MCU at all

I legitimately think it’s among the top tiers when it comes to solo superhero films first entries. Excellent use of 90s music nostalgia too. I feel like having to defend that film online from the chuds poisoned the well on watching the film on its own merits, also I remember thinking Captain Marvel was good but not as good as Wonder Woman.

The beauty of how the MCU works is a lot like Star Wars but at a much larger scale, plot points from the future can make one film that you liked feel a lot more stronger once you get to rewatchs. Knowing WW84 and feeling the pain of two friends (or more? Kinda felt the Carol and Maria as more than friends this time around) seeing each other again only to be separated once again stings a lot harder than it did  back then for me, which makes me feel like Captain Marvel is the superior film if only because how important the world building on that film pays off on WandaVision, Ms. Marvel and now with Secret Invasion. Kinda see Monica as the child of two mothers now, and with how she seemed pissed off at Carol on WandaVision, very curious to see how they will react around each other on Marvels. 

Seems like both Elemental and SV is coming for 18-19M weekend, still don’t know who will be at the top since SV is playing stronger on weekdays and having more typical CBM drops on weekends 

Flash is dead, 13M wouldn’t surprise me at this point

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

To be fair, low-tier MCU is still pretty decent and enjoyable in my eyes. Though I guess it's more mid-tier, especially now that Love and Thunder and Quantumania have come to join the bottom and those weren't decent at all.

I will defend Love and Thunder with my dying breath. My favorite Thor film, edging out Ragnarok.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

20 hours ago, Dephira said:

Elemental is a real crowd pleaser. It's a shame people didn't turn out for its opening weekend but I think it will have strong legs. 

The truth is that Soul, Turning Red and Luca probably all would have done quite well at the Boxoffice under normal circumstances. People started calling for Pixar's demise way too early. The average quality of their movies is still really high

Elemental is a movie that if you moved on from the idea that every Pixar film has to be like IO, FN or Up, you will be rewarded with a visually stunning, old-fashioned yet creative and emotional powerful animation. And the romantic plot is surprising effective.   

• Like 3