YM!

Weekday Thread | TUE - Flash $5.28M, Elementals $5.0M, Spidey $4.7M, Transformer $2.8M, TLM $2.2M

18 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

What if The Marvels reviews very well? Like high 80s, low 90s on RT?

I feel like The Marvels is going to be very review dependent. Critical reception like Across the Spiderverse could put it into the Guardians 3 opening range, Guardians 3 reception probably in the $90-105 range, but Quantomania reception would send it crashing down to the Black Adam/Flash range. The MCU as a brand still has a dedicated following but one that's been burned enough recently that I think a lot of them are going to take a wait and see approach with the next set of films.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

What if The Marvels reviews very well? Like high 80s, low 90s on RT?

It's probably not gonna be. Guardians 3 only got an 82%, Wakanda Forever an 84%, and Marvels isn't coming off an acclaimed film like the Guardians movies or Black Panther. 

Candyman got some acclaimed but I wouldn't say that DeCosta has established herself with critics the way Coogler had with Fruitvale Station and Creed. Or Gunn with Guardians 1 & 2 and The Suicide Squad.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's probably not gonna be. Guardians 3 only got an 82%, Wakanda Forever an 84%, and Marvels isn't coming off an acclaimed film like the Guardians movies or Black Panther. 

Candyman got some acclaimed but I wouldn't say that DeCosta has established herself with critics the way Coogler had with Fruitvale Station and Creed. Or Gunn with Guardians 1 & 2 and The Suicide Squad.

Little Woods has 95% on RT.

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

idk what happened with the GOTG3 rating (I think critics tend to be harsh on films that "overstuff"), but that's a very generous score for Wakanda imo. I also don't think most critics take stock in a directors history when reviewing a film. Nia has shown capable and I think critics are going to take VERY kindly to the inclusion of Ms Marvel. I wouldn't be shocked with a 90-95% RT score.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

A horror remake getting 84% is kind of insane when you think about it.  

That being said, Zhao had 3 movies no lower than 93% leading up to Eternals and we saw how that ended up...

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Nia Decosta is why I have faith in The Marvels. Little woods was great and what she did for Candyman definitely captured the spirt of the original. Even Scream 6 had to give its respects to the remake during the scene with Kirby. 

Nia DaCosta is an amazing up and comer. It was certainly a get from Marvel Studios. Heard she is s major comic book and Marvel nerd too which is always a plus. This interview with her is awesome:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/nia-dacosta-roxane-gay-interview

And watch Nia DaCosta’s Candy Man if you haven’t, y’all.

BOR has Flash in 4th 👀

Film (Distributor)Weekend
GrossTotal
Gross%
ChangeWeek
#

1Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
(Sony / Columbia)$20.0 M$317.9 M-26%4

2Elemental
(Disney)$18.4 M$65.2 M-38%2

3No Hard Feelings
(Sony / Columbia)$16.0 M$16.0 MNEW1

4The Flash
(Warner Bros.)$15.4 M$87.7 M-72%2

5Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
(Paramount)$11.2 M$122.5 M-46%3

6Asteroid City
(Focus)$9.3 M$10.5 M+990%2

7The Little Mermaid
(Disney)$8.2 M$269.7 M-26%5

8Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
(Disney)$3.6 M$351.2 M-32%8

9The Blackening
(Lionsgate)$3.4 M$12.6 M-43%2

10The Boogeyman
(Disney / 20th Century)$2.2 M$37.4 M-40%4

Edited by LegionGPT
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I’m really not sure how well The Marvels will do. It feels like it could go either way with the response from audiences based on the trailer and those plot leaks, and I think people are underestimating The Hunger Games. 

I can’t see it doing worse than Ant-Man though. So let’s say no worse than $230 dom.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

5 minutes ago, Relevation said:

What if it drops to 5th

Hide contents

Hell what if it drops to 6th

Elemental $20M (-32%)

Spider-Verse $19M (-30%)

No Hard Feelings $16M (NEW)

Transformers $12M (-42%)

Asteroid City $11M (+1309%)

The Flash $10M (-82%)

• Like 1