kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

9 hours ago, Reddroast said:

If we are then we are entering the live action anime era

No way in hell 😔. Live action anime don't work as well as their animated counterparts. Just look at so many Japanese live action movies. They look so bad it's not even funny 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

No way in hell 😔. Live action anime don't work as well as their animated counterparts. Just look at so many Japanese live action movies. They look so bad it's not even funny 

I'm of the belief they can but you need insanely talented directors to pull it off or pick your material carefully. Japan tends to be more mixed then the West though as they've had some success stories like Rurouni Kenshin, while the West has mostly bombed hard across the board outside Speed Racer and Alita (both of which bombed at the box office but I stand by them as great/fantastic films).

Personally I would rather them not make them at all as it lends to the idea that live action is somehow "superior" to animation (it isn't) but if they are gonna make them, I do see a world where the "code is cracked" so to speak and we do get a bunch of genuinely great anime adaptations. Time will tell though, I think video game adaptations are probably the next thing over that though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I'm of the belief they can but you need insanely talented directors to pull it off or pick your material carefully. Japan tends to be more mixed then the West though as they've had some success stories like Rurouni Kenshin, while the West has mostly bombed hard across the board outside Speed Racer and Alita (both of which bombed at the box office but I stand by them as great/fantastic films).

Personally I would rather them not make them at all as it lends to the idea that live action is somehow "superior" to animation (it isn't) but if they are gonna make them, I do see a world where the "code is cracked" so to speak and we do get a bunch of genuinely great anime adaptations. Time will tell though, I think video game adaptations are probably the next thing over that though.

So the thing is romance, drama or slice of life anime can be made into live action very easily and adaption can be good. But when it comes to battle  shounen or primarily action adventure anime it would be disastrous. One punch man or mob psycho , one piece or hero academia, attack on titan or even demon slayer. They won't work as live action properly. Also comedies would be really hard since the facial expressions and slapstick nature. 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

So the thing is romance, drama or slice of life anime can be made into live action very easily and adaption can be good. But when it comes to battle  shounen or primarily action adventure anime it would be disastrous. One punch man or mob psycho , one piece or hero academia, attack on titan or even demon slayer. They won't work as live action properly. Also comedies would be really hard since the facial expressions and slapstick nature. 

Tend to agree. Again, I think battle shounen can work if you have an insanely talented director - basically one that can translate the inherently stylized nature of those kinds of series into a live action medium - but those kinds of talents are rare. I hope for the best with them, obviously (I don't want things to be bad lmao) but I tend to be on the side of "yeah, these don't work for a reason". That's even beyond the fact that Attack on Titan's Japanese film adaptation already suffered from some pretty dumb deviations from source material and that's a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I would kill to see what a live action version of something like Monster would look like. I remember when Guillermo Del Toro was going to do a show on HBO based on it and I feel that is the exact material you should be adapting instead.

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The character is 19 in NHF. Morally dubious maybe, but definitely not pedophilic. 💀

I haven't seen the movie, just watched the trailer, but something tells me if the movie had be made 10 years ago they probably would have made the male character 16. 

• ...wtf 1

It's kinda wild to think that this weekend a decade ago, we had Monsters University in first with over $80 million, World War Z in second with over $60 million (not far off from topping The Day After Tomorrow as the biggest second place opener ever at the time), and Man of Steel in third with over $40 million, and this weekend we will have... nothing over $20 million.

That said, without applying the full benefits of hindsight and its context, it feels like this was unavoidable from a scheduling standpoint. I know The Flash and Elemental ended up being... well... The Flash and Elemental, and we're also potentially looking at another underwhelming performance from Indy next weekend, but think about it from a distance: On the third weekend in June, you have a massively budgeted multiverse superhero film and an original Pixar film, and on the fifth weekend in June, you have a sequel in a beloved, long-running franchise coming just one year after Top Gun: Maverick rode long-standing nostalgia to unbelievable heights. For that, I kinda don't blame studios for avoiding this weekend... save for counterprogramming in the form of a raunchy R-rated comedy, which is exactly the kind of thing that would have opened in between big blockbusters in the late '00s/early '10s.

34 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Tend to agree. Again, I think battle shounen can work if you have an insanely talented director - basically one that can translate the inherently stylized nature of those kinds of series into a live action medium - but those kinds of talents are rare. I hope for the best with them, obviously (I don't want things to be bad lmao) but I tend to be on the side of "yeah, these don't work for a reason". That's even beyond the fact that Attack on Titan's Japanese film adaptation already suffered from some pretty dumb deviations from source material and that's a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I would kill to see what a live action version of something like Monster would look like. I remember when Guillermo Del Toro was going to do a show on HBO based on it and I feel that is the exact material you should be adapting instead.

A Live Action Black Lagoon adaptation written by Tarantino or Edgar Wright would be amazing to watch.

23 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

A Live Action Black Lagoon adaptation written by Tarantino or Edgar Wright would be amazing to watch.

Black Lagoon is inherently based on the work of John Woo so I think he would be the perfect fit for it. Just add in as much slow mo insanity as you can and you are golden.

3 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

As much as Snyder was the reason of current DC mess, atleast Man of Steel was a cool title.

Superman Legacy sounds like those streaming documentaries which have one episode dedicated to all superman and one extra for Nicholas Cage superman explaining how he was the best superman who never was.

Too easy to blame Snyder. Tsujihara, Emmerich, Johns, Hamada and Sarnoff are responsible for this mess.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

Deadline estimates for Saturday: $7.5M Spiderverse (+32% over Friday), $7.1M Elemental (+27%), $6M The Flash (+33%), $4.8M No Hard Feelings (-26% incl. Thurs Previews)

Flash with the best increase is a surprise. 

Hopefully No Hard Feelings manages to stay above $15m. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Too easy to blame Snyder. Tsujihara, Emmerich, Johns, Hamada and Sarnoff are responsible for this mess.

In the last 10 years DC leadership has changed 5 times. 

Snyder

Johns

Hamada

De Luca and Abdy

Gunn and Safran 

And each time, they announced a slew of projects with the vast majority never seeing the light of day. Seriously, going back and reading the announced DC projects in the last 10 years is downright insane. Each leadership change had their own ideas, end credits that tease projects that never happen, casts that get tossed in and out, reboots, tweaks, etc etc etc

The brand is so damaged at this point that you cannot trust a single thing from DC.  Even if you like something it goes nowhere anyway!

Why should audiences care? It's no surprise that Joker and The Batman are the big successes. 

• Like 7

Ideally Warner would put the entire DC brand on ice on film for at least a decade while Matt Reeves finishes his Batman saga. They should've waited after he was done to kickstart another DC universe. Day by day I become more and more worried for Superman Legacy, as I fear audiences will reject it just because it's a DC movie.

37 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

It’s absolutely accurate to blame the start of the DCEU on Zack Snyder. His poor choices set the bar. The executives shouldn’t have given him free rein - that’s their fault, but Snyder started the ball rolling on this mess with movies that were divisive, with poor storytelling and character.

• Like 8