Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

13 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

Insidious is gonna be #1 next weekend, isn't it? 

I think it depends how Sound of Freedom reports its BO...and that is a sad state of summer box office, but as I said yesterday, I report reality:)...

Worst 3rd weekend drop for CBM movies

Jonah Hex - 92.4%

Punisher: War Zone - 86%

Zoom - 73%

Dredd - 72.7%

Son of the Mask - 69.6%

The Flash - 67%

Superman 4 - 64.6%

Elektra - 64.4%

Green Lantern - 63.6%

Supergirl - 63.5%

TMNT: OOTS - 63.5%

Howard the duck - 62.2%

Flash is in illustrious company.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The is the summer of studios dumping way too much money into movies expecting billion dollar grosses. Barbie and Oppenheimer will really end up being the most profitable releases this summer just because they have reasonable 100M budgets.

I want to know TMNT budget. If it's around 100M, that could be a hit too.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The is the summer of studios dumping way too much money into movies expecting billion dollar grosses. Barbie and Oppenheimer will really end up being the most profitable releases this summer just because they have reasonable 100M budgets.

I remember reading an article in 1997 in either Time or Newsweek where the headline was Is Hollywood spending too much?   And apart from Titanic nothing else was higher than 100 million.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Personally, I think that movie is dead. A movie about people discovering the force feels.... Forced. Just the concept feels too low key to be a big Star Wars movie release.

People will always turn out for a well executed Star Wars story. The exact plot elements aren’t that important. Mandalorian and Andor did really well. TRoS treated everything like a joke, which is a death knell for a franchise that the fans take… quite seriously, to put it charitably. I hope to God Disneys lesson isn’t to play it “safe” and retell the original trilogy one more time. 

45 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

r2h7kmcgjk9b1.jpg?width=572&auto=webp&v=supposedly indys budget is $329m

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

Even if it didn't cost more than the GDP of a small nation, an opening like this would be an unmitigated disaster. The Flash is such a turbo-bomb that it makes this look fine in comparison lol

Holy shit, we're still doing this even with a potential $329m budget lmfao. Flash is truly going to have to settle for the silver medal here even with just the reported $295m from Disney. If it's $329m, this thing is well and truly COOKED

Edited by Dragoncaine

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Jonah Hex - 92.4%

Zoom - 73%

Dredd - 72.7%

Son of the Mask - 69.6%

The Flash - 67%

Superman 4 - 64.6%

Elektra - 64.4%

Green Lantern - 63.6%

Supergirl - 63.5%

Howard the duck - 62.2%

Dredd really, really should not be on that list. Stupid 3d.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Jonah Hex - 92.4%

Zoom - 73%

Dredd - 72.7%

Son of the Mask - 69.6%

The Flash - 67%

Superman 4 - 64.6%

Elektra - 64.4%

Green Lantern - 63.6%

Supergirl - 63.5%

Howard the duck - 62.2%

That Jonah Hex drop.

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, screambaby said:

So unless something unforseen happens spideys only gonna be second domestically to Mario for the entire year

I picked Spidey to win summer, but I'm not convinced we won't have a dream run for a movie for the last half of the year yet to take the #2 spot from Spidey DOM...

My girls are on the "go to Dune 2" train, and they didn't see Dune 1 or express any interest for it when it came out.  They are telling me it's in multiple geekdom spaces and getting talked up in that key 13-25 group, which I don't think turned out for #1 at all...

I'm not yet gonna say it's gonna sky like I said Spidey was from its 1st....but I'm not not saying that yet, either...

My problem is - I'm not a Dune fan, so it's a harder call for me when I don't love a fandom to see if more GA agree with me or not:)...that said, I probably won't mind seeing it if it's as good as the 1st b/c I found the 1st decent...

Edited by TwoMisfits

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney doesn't have much else out for the rest of the year (all that's left on deck is Haunted Mansion, A Haunting in Venice, The Creator, The Marvels, and Wish) that'll make up for the recent underperformers but aside from perhaps WB, the guaranteed heavy-hitters are about to dry up for all the studios once summer is over. Both September and October don't have a single movie guaranteed to make $100M+ total, for instance. Better luck next year, whatever that ends up looking like due to the strike, I guess.

WB and ZASLAV looking at Barbie, Dune, Wonka, and Aquabro like 😎

Edited by excel1

3 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Holy shit, we're still doing this even with a potential $329m budget lmfao. Flash is truly going to have to settle for the silver medal here even with just the reported $295m from Disney. If it's $329m, this thing is well and truly COOKED

Agree - based on budgets and opens, Indy has the bomb lead...of course, it might not fall off a cliff like Flash, so it can probably tie up the race for co-bomb if it can get $100M more WW revenue or so...

• Thanks 1

1980s properties are done. It's too long ago. This would be like releasing a sequel to a 1950s film in 1995. Way way too late and past their prime. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Also see: The High Republic (if you’re into reading)

I don’t know if it’s just that I am like so stressed right now because of what’s going on in real life, but this made me laugh soooooooooo hard. Thank you. I needed that. 

I have not read any of that stuff, but I will do so now. Not right now, after the hell of this movie is over with. 😉

• Like 2