Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

Not for nothing but I think Larry Fong is fantastic and needs more work.

Had to look up and he has a lot of Snyder on the resume so he can deliver that particular stylized look.

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Ford vs Ferrari looks gorgeous, it’s shocking Indy doesn’t look anywhere near as good

Same cinematographer so I don't know what happened there, but Indy 5 a lot of the time just looks off. Crystal Skull had the same issue at times but it's magnified here

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

At this point feel like the only person to trust to deliver a blockbuster with cinematography that doesn't look like artificial gloop is Grieg Fraser. Edit: Hoyte van Hoytema allowed in the club too.

Mangold Indy should have been, if not extremely dynamic in look, at least classically appealing. But it looks like any Marvel or DC movie that's come out the past 5+ years.

Nolan with Hoyte >>>>> Nolan with Pfister. Rewatched Dunkirk the other day, and the visual depth in that movie is insane. Some truly incredible shots, and that's before delving into how good the color looks throughout.

When you produce a movie, you should know your audience. Lucasfilm doesn't know their audience. They never did. Kathleen tanked all of their franchises by injecting things in them their audience didn't want. Who wants to see Indy giving classes in a Z grade University and being told for an entire movie that he is old and outdated by an annoying kid and female lead in a movie that looks like any CBM CGI snoozefest out there? Top Gun Maverick would have tanked as well if it was like this.

• Like 12

Dial of Destiny is better than I expected. Still 30 mins too long, Harrison Ford doesn't look like he's having fun, Phoebe Waller Bridge is not as charismatic or likeable as she thinks to help carry something of this size, and the movie looks sort of muted and off. Still, some great setpieces and a cut above the average superhero movie. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Didn't he say TLM was going to get a sequel because blacks got it so good?

People acting like he's not a minority that Hollywood doesn't give two fucks about. He's right that the main way Hollywood checks its diversity box is making black content. They sure as hell aint making content for actors named Mena Massoud. Those execs, who a few years ago give didn't a crap about diversity in general, now performatively greenlight some black movies to fill their diversity quota and call it a day. They're not going to think or look too much deeper at other racial minorities, with a rare exception here or there. 

If he doesn't speak out for himself, who will? Hollywood's idea of diversity is lazy. 

He shouldn't have deleted his account over idiots tweeting stuff like "GWORRRRL you should have sat there and ate your food, you're pressed at Ariel ;)" 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

At this point feel like the only person to trust to deliver a blockbuster with cinematography that doesn't look like artificial gloop is Grieg Fraser. Edit: Hoyte van Hoytema allowed in the club too.

Mangold Indy should have been, if not extremely dynamic in look, at least classically appealing. But it looks like any Marvel or DC movie that's come out the past 5+ years.

think this has more to do with whatever post production tinkering they decide to do. That’s why you can have Robert Richardson shooting Venom 2 and it doesn’t look any different from the other Sony productions 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Who wants to see Indy giving classes in a Z grade University and being told for an entire movie that he is old and outdated by an annoying kid and female lead in a movie that looks like any CBM CGI snoozefest out there?

I'll give you the inexplicable decision to have him at Hunter College (and I disliked everything about that setup), but the supposedly annoying kid and female lead seemed to have warmed up to him by the halfway point (

Spoiler

the Mutt conversation seemed to be the point that softened her to him

) and any such comments after that (if there were any) seemed pretty benign. In his previous adventures, Indy dealt with:

a) a female lead who introduced herself by punching him in the face and telling him he was a creep

b) a female lead who spent the first half of the movie screeching at him and telling him he was an idiot

c) a female lead who was a Nazi who slept with him and betrayed him

d) a female lead who was a crazy Russian agent

It seems strange that audiences would demand Indy be treated with kid gloves by a woman in the fifth movie and be appalled that he isn't in the first half. Like...are they not familiar with this series at all?

Edited by KC7
added spoiler tag just in case
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

People acting like he's not a minority that Hollywood doesn't give two fucks about. He's right that the main way Hollywood checks its diversity box is making black content. They sure as hell aint making content for actors named Mena Massoud. Those execs, who a few years ago give didn't a crap about diversity in general, now performatively greenlight some black movies to fill their diversity quota and call it a day. They're not going to think or look too much deeper at other racial minorities, with a rare exception here or there. 

If he doesn't speak out for himself, who will? Hollywood's idea of diversity is lazy. 

He shouldn't have deleted his account over idiots tweeting stuff like "GWORRRRL you should have sat there and ate your food, you're pressed at Ariel ;)" 

First of all black people don't speak that way. Such stereotypes suggest you have some things you need to work through.

And there are ways to advocate for better arab roles than attack black representation. It's not like the only way to get more arab roles is to wipe out black representation. You can have both.

Financially it makes sense to appeal to blacks when they're often major consumers of entertainment. It's not lazy. It's just a business decision. Either way attacking blacks is punching down because blacks are underrepresented among the Hollywood producers, directors and executives. You know the people who ignore arab actors in the first place?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is 2017. We are talking about The Last Jedi. It is divisive and arguments ensue.

It is 2023. We are talking about The Last Jedi. It is divisive and arguments ensue.

It is 2029. We are talking about The Last Jedi. It is divisive and arguments ensue.

IMG_6C0791D334EA_1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

It is not just about controlling budgets.

Lucasfilm (with Disney) ruined the Skywalker Saga.

Now they ruined Indy.

It’s about start fresh with a new boss, creative team alongside competent executives at Lucasfilm because they destroyed almost everything Lucas left them.

it's no where near as bad as the sequel trilogy 

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I don't really understand forcing a sequel to Rise of Skywalker.

It has "adding more DCEU movies when clearly everyone is ready to move on" vibes.

it’s gonna be funny when it makes 500-700m WW and rage tubers and nerds are blamed for it

Anyways, finally got on to post my thoughts about the weekend (busy day!).

The only thing is good for Indy 5 is my derby, where I went with $60M as my prediction so I feel a little bit on high right now for being accurate about that. Other then that, this is really bad and while I don't know if the Deadline budget report is true or not (they have been wrong before) it still doesn't look good. It still has Monday and Tuesday with the 5-day weekend to try and recoup a little bit of ground but frankly what's done is done at this point. Mangold will likely be fine in the long run as he has enough accolades and industry clout under his belt but overall this is just terrible from all fronts, no ifs or buts about it.

Also equally as disastrous is the continued collapse of The Flash, which is pretty much over with. It at least crawled to $100M but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't go much past that. WB pretty be praying that Barbie does gangbusters to recoup losses.

NHF isn't doing terribly but it's not doing great either. At the very least it's beat it's production budget of $45M in total worldwide ($49M WW so far) so that helps it a bit. Sucks it's struggling but I think that's mostly due to the crowded marketplace this summer more then anything, which is frankly the biggest issue I think this summer and I'll make a post about that later if I find the time.

Somebody brought it up before that Rise of the Beasts is basically this year's "The Legend of Tarzan", a movie that doesn't light the box office on fire but still makes more then expected considering and yeah, sounds about right. You know it's a bad summer when "underperformer" is basically widely seen as actually pretty good all things considered.

But to me the real winners continue to be Spider-Verse and Elemental. These two just keep chugging, especially Elemental who is just doing gangbusters overseas. I'm not going to call $400M WW yet on it cause that's a bit too ambitious BUT I can totally see it getting to that point personally. And I'm really happy for these two, these are my favourite movies of the month and both deserve your attention.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Transformers had another good hold OS 14.9m(-41.8%) 381m WW  . Should get to around 440m

Still not the best but legs for this have been solid . Never had this beating flash and Indy 5 on my bingo card.

This could have done more with a better release date.

It still hasn't opened in Japan. So maybe $5m more there as well. I think that's around what Bumblebee did, maybe a little less.

• Like 1

Saw Indy this afternoon. Fun enough romp that gave me enough of what I'm looking for. 

Biggest takeaway from me was audience demographics. A very senior heavy crowd. It's an afternoon matinee, so, that attracts a different crowd, but, it was pretty noticeable.

• Like 1