Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

To this day, the movie that does the “old broken hero going back to and trying to recapture their glory days” the best is The Incredibles, and anyone who disagrees is just simply wrong.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

To this day, the movie that does the “old broken hero going back to and trying to recapture their glory days” the best is The Incredibles, and anyone who disagrees is just simply wrong.

Yes, and the fact they presented both the glory, the fall and the comeback in the same movie is super impressive 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

(personally i found Dominion mostly ugly as well but hey, at least it looks like a bad executed 170M movie instead of something nearly unbelievable) 

Looking ugly could be due to many other factors, but it without a doubt that it had better effects than many of 2023 mega budget blockbusters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

(personally i found Dominion mostly ugly as well but hey, at least it looks like a bad executed 170M movie instead of something nearly unbelievable) 

It didn't cost 170 mln, Fallen Kingdom didn't as well. Universal lied about their budgets, both cost well over 300 mln.

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Looking ugly could be due to many other factors, but it without a doubt that it had better effects than many of 2023 mega budget blockbusters.

Yeah, the dinosaur textures was very good, awful CGI definitely wasn’t the problem

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I would add one bit of essential advice to this to make it applicable to today. RUN, actually SPRING to streaming and FAR away from theaters as possible. Don't look back. Keep focused on streaming and pretend that theaters do not exist. Do that and there's a remote shot rather than 0% shot. It becomes reality and not satire, but one with a slight chance of being made.

Edited by jedijake

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

You wouldn't consider Dr. Strange 2, Thor 4, and BP 2 successes at the box office?!

They would be if not for how Marvel was supposed to be the crown jewel, marquee of Hollywood. Yet increasingly has been turning into the DCEU before its recent collapse. Being happy with small profits is minor league mentality and you can bet the money people in Disney do not have that. Which is why they have shuffled production of MCU films multiple times already, they know the IP is a major trouble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

This just reminded me how badly they missed the boat on 80s nostalgia for a Nightmare movie with Robert Englund. I think a Nightmare movie in 2016 could’ve been big. 

Englund would have likely said no, unfournately. He's been pretty clear for over decade that he's pretty much done with Freddy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

They would be if not for how Marvel was supposed to be the crown jewel, marquee of Hollywood. Yet increasingly has been turning into the DCEU before its recent collapse. Being happy with small profits is minor league mentality and you can bet the money people in Disney do not have that. Which is why they have shuffled production of MCU films multiple times already, they know the IP is a major trouble.

Objectively they are successes, even if they didn’t make as much money as people think they “should” have made or doomed the brand. All three of them were even in the top ten most profitable movies of 2022. This place is becoming as bad as Reddit if people unironically think they weren’t successes.

Also the shuffling probably has more to due with the ongoing writers strike. I doubt they delayed Thunderbolts because Multiverse of Madness only made 950 million dollars.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Spinning the strike-related delays and shuffles as the IP being in trouble reeks of 2016 Marvel-DC fanboy wars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Who said that's how black people speak?  That's how Stan Twitter speaks, because their whole lingo is based on drag queens. Now even straight men are cosplaying as drag queens on Twitter saying things like "spill the tea!" 

And well, white gays on Stan Twitter want to be fierce black women like Beyonce and Nicki Minaj so they speak like exaggerations of black women. 

Stan lingo originates from ballroom culture, not straight, cis black women.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

article in 2008 that talks about how Indy 4 opened over 100 million despite the marketing being nothing but "Indy is back". Shows the brand had a lot of strength back then

'Indy' Whips Up Massive Start - Box Office Mojo

A stat I saw recently is that all the Indy movies adjust to over 1B, except Temple of Doom at like 980M. If this finishes below 400M WW it will be a massive fall for the franchise.

37 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I did not know Box Office Mojo saved the old articles after the redesign! Although admittedly I didn't like that he would trash certain genres/movies, such as horror. I liked reading his analysises however.

Is there a place to read box office guru's old Thursday predictions?