baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

Finally caught up on this thread this morning.

Love the comedy discussion. Weird that I haven't seen Airplane! mentioned, unless I missed it.

For me it's impossible to pick just 1 single all time favorite, there are so many different types of comedy from different eras.

Airplane! and Porkys stick out for older ones, although most Leslie Nielson comedies were funny as hell back then.

Jim Carrey in his prime with Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber.

Pretty much all things Apatow.

There are the iconic star making ones like Superbad, Mean Girls, Clueless...

For me there are a handful of movies that I laughed so hard for most of the movie my sides literally ached...

There's something about Mary

American Pie

Scary Movie

Bridesmaids

Sausage Party

I do like seeing what people post, some of them I completely forgot about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

9 - 9.5M looking good for Elemental, ridiculous 21-25% drop 

150M let’s goooo

It is very likely Elemental may be one of the only summer animations this century to get a 5x multiple next to both Shrek and Chicken Run.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

150M let’s goooo

It's biggest problem is gonna be July 21 - in good news, nothing opening this weekend will likely have to be held over Elemental,.  In bad news, that still doesn't mean small and midsize theaters will hold it with a huge female drawing movie coming out.  

• Like 2

Lot of talk about best comedy but honestly surprised at the scarce mention of Superbad, which is an all-timer coming of age and damn funny comedy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

150M let’s goooo

After watching this on opening weekend, half of my Letterboxd review was mourning its low box office, soooooo happy it's making a bit of a comeback!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's biggest problem is gonna be July 21 - in good news, nothing opening this weekend will likely have to be held over Elemental,.  In bad news, that still doesn't mean small and midsize theaters will hold it with a huge female drawing movie coming out.  

I think they'll want to hold onto something rated less than PG-13 if they can at least.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

You still need a kids movie in theaters. Barbie is definitely looking for an OW well over 100m, maybe 150m. However, it is still a PG-13 movie and you need something for the little kids and with a shorter runtime and outpacing Across dailies, I think Elemental will still likely get the showtimes it needs to hold well. I think how Bad Guys fell to Doctor Strange could be a good comparison for it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Slight chance Sly gets there with Expendables 4....I doubt it, but possible

I don’t think that’s right? His biggest movie domestically in the 90s was Cliffhanger and that did 92M IIRC

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

I think they'll want to hold onto something rated less than PG-13 if they can at least.

Right, but it's gonna come down to Elemental vs Spiderverse (with Rudy dropped), and whether the kid film wanted is more male or more female skewing.  I imagine some places will split the screen, some with choose one or the other, and some small enough ones will have to drop both.

With Disney's normal take, I also imagine if Spidey and Elemental are close in BO, they'll pick Spidey to have a super since Guardians and Flash will both be gone...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One of the reasons family and kids films hold on to screens so long is concessions  Going to be a lot of films before Elemental which will lose screens en mass.  Kraken has 3,000 theaters. Joy Ride 2800 . The Flash, Transformer, Indys etc etc

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right, but it's gonna come down to Elemental vs Spiderverse (with Rudy dropped), and whether the kid film wanted is more male or more female skewing.  I imagine some places will split the screen, some with choose one or the other, and some small enough ones will have to drop both.

With Disney's normal take, I also imagine if Spidey and Elemental are close in BO, they'll pick Spidey to have a super since Guardians and Flash will both be gone...

Tbh it doesn’t matter much so long as dailies are good. You make a fair point about dailies but I think Elemental will probably be fairly outpacing it come next week with Mission in town to keep action fans at bay. And with Mission, Oppenheimer and to a far lesser extent Indy, they probably can get more mileage out of Elemental which is shorter too.

Tbh there’s probably more things in danger of losing screens that week than either of the two.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Fear confirmed on that one. :(

You don't have anything on sound of freedom yet do you?

22 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

It’s official. Harrison Ford is the only actor to appear in at least one 100M domestic grossing film per decade since the 70s. Not a lot like him.

Sorry, what's the 1970s movie?

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Funny to see the difference and impact age has too! Most of my favourite comedies released between me being the age of 10-25. 

At least half of mine are before I was born.  Funny to me to see 90s comedies referred to as old but at over 25 years I guess they are.  For me that's The General, Duck Soup, Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic & Old Lace, Harvey, Some Like It Hot, One Two Three, Divorce Italian Style, The Great Race, How To Steal a Million etc 

9 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

This has had pretty nice staying power. 

Isn't Sony usually one of the first with estimates? Curious to see where NHF and Spider-Verse landed. Holdovers all seem to be doing pretty well (Indy is questionable).

8 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

I don’t think that’s right? His biggest movie domestically in the 90s was Cliffhanger and that did 92M IIRC

Yeah well you forgot about stop or my mom will shoot, that made massive amounts of money lol

Yes you are correct about cliffhanger. For some reason I thought he had some other movie in the '90s that did a hundred million but I stand corrected.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

Sorry, what's the 1970s movie?

I'm struggling to find one that he was in in the 70s as well

• Haha 2