baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

I think it simply boils down to - Mission Impossible is a relatively old franchise (almost 30 years), and old franchises like this and Bond and Scream only find new peaks when they come up with some sort of angle. For this franchise, that was Fallout.

• Like 3

Look, me and @Jayhawk the Hutt brought newcomers to the franchise out to the theaters to see this installment. We did our part.

Spoiler

No comments on whether said people were dragged to the film from their own will :sparta:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, across the Jat verse said:

this-is-bad-this-is-the-worst.gif

Oh I agree. I went on a rant in the Telegram about how much better I like Mission Impossible (and Bond) than John Wick. Haven't been a fan since the middle of the second one. But it is what it is!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Obviously my anecdotal evidence is not the end all be all. But I am a 29 year old white male with a graduate degree in a very diverse area in a blue part of a red state who interfaces with the public alot. I think I can get a fairly representative sample. If you were to pull a sample of 100 people I know, which would generate a hugely diverse range of cultural backgrounds, I would bet my entire month's salary that 90 out of 100 would prefer to see a John Wick movie than a Mission Impossible movie. Any 29 year old male who says otherwise is either only hanging out with a narrowly defined slice of white people or is bullshitting. It's clear which franchise the young people prefer. The reason MI has grossed more historically is whites over 40, aka the main group of people who don't see movies anymore. So why were people expecting this to gross over 100m more than John Wick 4? The fact that it'll still likely beat it by 20-30m domestic should be impressive in 2023. What year is this 

The last few MI movies have outgrossed the Wick movies

if the audience for Mi doesn’t go to the movies anymore than this franchise is done and it spells trouble for other films as well

Edited by John Marston

8 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

The amount of pessimism in this board is just hilarious. Once again: MI7 will be fine. It's a backloaded franchise.

Elemental taught me to be patient with these things.

Yes to this. I was going to write a long rant but I said why bother. Some people around here are just insane. 

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

The last few MI movies have outgrossed the Wick movies

if the audience for Mi doesn’t go to the movies anymore than this franchise is fine and it spells trouble for other films as well

They've outgrossed them because of a sector of the audience (35+ white people, especially women) that has fallen off significantly since 2020 compared to Wick's audience. And yes, it's a huge fucking problem for adult films. I've been doing my sky is falling rant for two years and I'll spare another one.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would bet my entire month's salary that 90 out of 100 would prefer to see a John Wick movie than a Mission Impossible movie

its joever

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They've outgrossed them because of a sector of the audience (35+ white people, especially women) that has fallen off significantly since 2020 compared to Wick's audience. And yes, it's a huge fucking problem for adult films. I've been doing my sky is falling rant for two years and I'll spare another one.

Just to clarify - it's a huge problem for the traditional adult films that we think of directed by our Martin Scorsese and starring our Tom Cruises. I think the box office of a film like Nope proves there is a real audience for intelligent, challenging adult movies with more diverse casts and crews. I think the solution to what ails the box office is for studios to make major investments in big concept, real adult movies to serve the audience that is, not that was. That should be the lesson that is taken away. Ah, who am I kidding, are you seeing how dumb these fucking studios are?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

its been 4 days, just how backloaded can MI be ?

Im sorry did you just type that and mean it. Four whole  days during the week when the target audience is working,  for a franchise that the last two movies had IMs opening weekend to final total domestically  of 3,5 for RN and 3.6 for Fallout. God I swear.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would bet my entire month's salary that 90 out of 100 would prefer to see a John Wick movie than a Mission Impossible movie. Any 29 year old male who says otherwise is either only hanging out with a narrowly defined slice of white people or is bullshitting.

wait what's the precise difference between John Wick and Mission Impossible?

John Wick is more violent and r-rated?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

wait what's the precise difference between John Wick and Mission Impossible?

John Wick is more violent and r-rated?

It's more "badass" for people that are younger and more online. John Wick is like a human shorthand meme for unstoppable badass force, even among those who haven't seen the movies. I don't endorse this view, but that is the view I see.

• Like 1

I don't buy this narrative that Fallout was special for the franchise and reinvigorated the franchise or anything. It had fewer admissions than Ghost protocol and only higher worldwide because of China. It's not rooted in reality.

• Like 3