baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I'm baffled by these takes. The DR trailers have been very very bad. Fallout trailers were exponentially superior.

I don't mind the DR trailers, but yeah the Fallout trailers were much better. It's so weird how Paramount did such a great job promoting Fallout but then dropped the ball on Dead Reckoning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

For those saying this franchise has never been big, the first one was the 3rd movie domestic in 1996 and the second movie was second in 2000. For this one to do less than the first one's 180M unadjusted is baaad. Clearly, the franchise has run its course and it's time to end it.

A franchise that…checks notes…has a >=93% RT for each of its last 4 instalments with the latest ones having the highest scores has run its course.

1 minute ago, Algebra said:

A franchise that…checks notes…has a >=93% RT for each of its last 4 instalments with the latest ones having the highest scores has run its course.

If people are not interested/attending, yeah it doesn't matter how good it is

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It’s hard to fathom how such a massive proportion of TGM’s audience haven’t come out to see Cruise in this. What does he need to do? Fly a fighter jet? 

I really did think it would have a push from audiences who loved that movie, but clearly not. It’s just the standard still huge MI crowd, but what is everybody else even doing at this point? The movie is brilliant. They know it’s meant to be brilliant.  

anyways, I’ll be disappointed with under $700 million WW for this. Here’s hoping for a big weekend surprise where the afterburners kick in. 

Same reasons I said last year when everybody expected an increase: TGM has an easier barrier of entry. All you need to watch to see Top Gun 2 is one movie to get what's going on, and the film is even designed and set up where you don't even need to see the original. Mission Impossible has gone on for six movies now. Six highly successful movies that already have their own fanbase. At this rate, you know if you like these movies or not and if you're invested in the new one. If this was Oblivion 2 or even Jack Reacher 3...well, it wouldn't make the same money as TGM, but it would still see a big increase.

My parents loved TGM, but they aren't going to sit down and watch six more movies for a seventh title. It's like going into season 6 of Walking Dead or Lost or something, completely blind. Why would anybody do that? I know these movies are largely standalone adventures, but that's a hard perception to get out there. And if the commercials and trailers for the other movies didn't get them interested in a watch, why would they do it for this?

(Plus older viewers don't go to the movies anymore. TGM was the exception, not the rule)

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I'm baffled by these takes. The DR trailers have been very very bad. Fallout trailers were exponentially superior.

This is also a big problem. They gave zero hook for this new one outside of just more Ethan Hunt antics. Fallout's stunts alone got tons of promo and hype as being the most incredible achievements in stunt history. Dead Reckoning had nothing. If I wasn't already a fan of the series, I would have no reason to check out this seventh movie of a series that looks more of the same. It didn't even have the "Tom Cruise says you can only see this in theaters or else" advertising TGM did.

• Like 2

Let's be real, Mission Impossible is going to Paramount's biggest film for this year, they're not going to cancel the next film that is in production nor replace McQuarrie. People are acting as if it got awful reviews which it didn't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If people are not interested/attending, yeah it doesn't matter how good it is

But they are attending. The numbers would be on par with Rogue Nation in the worst case. It’s the only long running franchise which is still hitting the higher end of its B.O range while everything else has fallen off quite a bit from their highs. 

It’s just that the second biggest market has more or less shut out Hollywood movies which makes the numbers look off.

28 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

yes, the DR trailers have been bad

im talking only about the amazing first teaser that came with TGM

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Let's be real, Mission Impossible is going to Paramount's biggest film for this year, they're not going to cancel the next film that is in production nor replace McQuarrie. People are acting as if it got awful reviews which it didn't.

Honestly if I was Paramount I would be very happily going into the next film. I'd just try to lower the budget and shorten the run time. Its a crazy $290 million budget that is gonna hurt this film financially.....honestly the story of the summer. Films performing well/on average but the crazy budgets are killing them. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

What could potentially happen is not getting a 2024 release, it’s a very different situation than Captain America: Brave New World and even Deadpool 3, which had also the filming halted. I have a suspicion that Deadpool 3 is almost done, and I read reports that MI8 was only 40% done. We will know more about these films getting delays or not soon enough.

Why does everything have to connect back to Marvel movies with your posts

• Haha 10

26 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

Same reasons I said last year when everybody expected an increase: TGM has an easier barrier of entry. All you need to watch to see Top Gun 2 is one movie to get what's going on, and the film is even designed and set up where you don't even need to see the original. Mission Impossible has gone on for six movies now. Six highly successful movies that already have their own fanbase. At this rate, you know if you like these movies or not and if you're invested in the new one. If this was Oblivion 2 or even Jack Reacher 3...well, it wouldn't make the same money as TGM, but it would still see a big increase.

My parents loved TGM, but they aren't going to sit down and watch six more movies for a seventh title. It's like going into season 6 of Walking Dead or Lost or something, completely blind. Why would anybody do that? I know these movies are largely standalone adventures, but that's a hard perception to get out there. And if the commercials and trailers for the other movies didn't get them interested in a watch, why would they do it for this?

(Plus older viewers don't go to the movies anymore. TGM was the exception, not the rule)

That’s just it. You’d think plenty of people who hadn’t seen the Missions would have gone back and watched them in the past year, because of TGM.  I’m sure Cruise’s entire back catalogue has done really well with new audiences discovering his films thanks to that movie. 

I think a big issue is that Paramount kind of just forgot to market the film between May 2022 to May 2023 lol. I like it because there was so much incredible stuff in the movie that I never got spoilt beforehand, but maybe it wasn't the best for the opening few days. Still think this legs it out like crazy because it's fucking goooood, and if there's one thing this summer taught us it's that quality is king.

I do think Oppenheimer is sucking a lot of the oxygen out of Mission rn though. Feel like both will wind up above $200m dom, but maybe Nolan gets the edge rn...

1 minute ago, Hiccup23 said:

Honestly if I was Paramount I would be very happily going into the next film. I'd just try to lower the budget and shorten the run time. Its a crazy $290 million budget that is gonna hurt this film financially.....honestly the story of the summer. Films performing well/on average but the crazy budgets are killing them. 

The budget couldn't be helped, they started in 2020 then had to shut down due to the pandemic then restarted again and that increases the budget, it wasn't greenlit that high. 

• Like 1

"Mission Impossible" does a great job spreading the sequels out and not beating everyone over head every other year.  With that said, the "Espionage" Genre does have it's ceiling.  Sure Bond can make 6-700, "Mission" would be 2nd in the Genre then everything else is 500 and under.   I also didn't agree there would be a so called "Maverick" Bump.  "Top Gun" like "Mario", "No Way Home" and "Avatar 2" became a "Must-See" event.   It was also a long awaited Sequel.   This is the 7th Mission Impossible.  Though it's been 5 years, it's not like people "Missed" The Franchise like they missed "Top Gun" (36 year wait).   Like "Fast X", I'm thinking Overseas will save the day for "Mission" if it comes under "Mission 96" Domestic unadjusted.