cooldude97

GODZILLA MINUS ONE | Japan 11/3/23, North America 12/1/23 | Wide Release

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s just a black and white version of the film.

https://x.com/godzilla231103/status/1737246450009153808?s=46&t=QqyUeLIviA5CF8XLMJDIlw

Kinda glad they aren’t rushing ahead with a sequel. Do it right and make one with the same heart and quality of Minus One.

Talk about milking the movie. This is the first negative thing I have said about -1.

At least it looks to be in Japan only.

VISUAL EFFECTS
Ten films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 96th Academy Awards.  The Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the shortlist.  All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view excerpts and interviews with the artists from each of the shortlisted films on Saturday, January 13, 2024.  Branch members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“The Creator”
Godzilla Minus One
“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”
“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”
“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One”
“Napoleon”
“Poor Things”
“Rebel Moon – Part One: A Child of Fire”
“Society of the Snow”
“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

On 1/1/2024 at 5:03 PM, Mojoguy said:

Godzilla -1 has hit a 4x domestic multipler! It's a WOM monster.

godzilla-minus-one-has-now-hit-a-4x-dome

It's even more impressive when you consider that Wednesday + Thursday previews ($2.1M) made up 44% of the opening day ($4.726M).  Considering how it was competing with Renaissance for PLF showings, it might have opened closer to $10M if showings started at 7 PM on Thursday (same time as Renaissance).

The -1.6% 2nd Saturday drop was incredible.

Edited by BOfficeStats
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoobSaibot said:

I don't think a lot of people realize just how much of a feat this is for the franchise.

Yeah its monumental. Godzilla Minus One single-handidly changed the perception of the franchise for many people i believe.

• Like 4

I can’t help but grin at a Toho Godzilla movie getting an Oscar nom for visual effects. I mean, this is the “man in suit” arm of the franchise. Toy tanks, sparklers, models hanging on wires, all that Saturday afternoon Creature Feature jazz. If you look up “cheese” in the film industry dictionary, the entry is just a looped gif of Godzilla doing the flying drop kick in “Megalon.”

Visual. Effects. You’ve come a looooong way, Toho. Good work.

• Like 3

I'm very happy with the effects nom for -1. Well deserved! $15m budget and better effects than many Hollywood blockbusters last year like Antman 3 or Flash which each had over 10 times the budget.

Best thing about this nom, it will get more of the general audiences to know about -1 and check out the film.

31 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

I can’t help but grin at a Toho Godzilla movie getting an Oscar nom for visual effects. I mean, this is the “man in suit” arm of the franchise. Toy tanks, sparklers, models hanging on wires, all that Saturday afternoon Creature Feature jazz. If you look up “cheese” in the film industry dictionary, the entry is just a looped gif of Godzilla doing the flying drop kick in “Megalon.”

Visual. Effects. You’ve come a looooong way, Toho. Good work.

Toho in the Reiwa Era of the franchise (2016 - current day) has a different approach to the series than before. Instead of producing a movie every year like in previous eras, they now have a more methodical and experimental appoach. Although the anime movies were imo a misfire, it was definetly something new. And they give the live action movies now to acclaimed directors in Japan which have their very own unique style (Anno with Shin and Yamazaki now with Minus One), which makes a new Toho Godzilla movie now a serious awards contender in Japan. 

To me, it seems like Toho is very aware that even something like Godzilla could eventually become something too "old and tried" which fails to capture modern audiences' attention and interest - which kind of happened at the end of the Millenium Era with the bombage of Final Wars. They chose to let time do its thing and then present Godzilla in new, different and meaningfull ways starting with Shin and it pays off massively today.

• Like 2