cooldude97

GODZILLA MINUS ONE | Japan 11/3/23, North America 12/1/23 | Wide Release

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Toho seem to pushing this harder internationally compared to every other Japanese movie when strangely this movie isn’t even coming close to uber-blockbuster status in homeland japan. 

It's making a really great amount of money over there, the yen's weak right now in conversion don't go by US dollars.

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's making a really great amount of money over there, the yen's weak right now in conversion don't go by US dollars.

But even in local currency it is not beating shin Godzilla and far from 10bn yen, a mark that labelled as uberblockbuster in Japan. 

Just now, titanic2187 said:

But even in local currency it is not beating shin Godzilla and far from 10bn yen, a mark that labelled as uberblockbuster in Japan. 

If you're going by 10 billion yen then Shin Godzilla itself fell short of that. Minus One is still the 12th highest grossing film of the year in Japan after only 3 weeks and is about to enter the top 10 this week, and is only about 1 billion yen behind where Shin Godzilla was at this same point in time. It's not that far off.

Very few (if any) live action Japanese movie will hit the 10 billion mark. Even Yamazaki's top grossing live action movie, Eternal Zero only made about 8 billion yen. 

That said -1 can be considered a soft disappointment if it did not reach anywhere close to Shin Godzilla or Eternal Zero. 

2 minutes ago, vartech said:

Very few (if any) live action Japanese movie will hit the 10 billion mark. Even Yamazaki's top grossing live action movie, Eternal Zero only made about 8 billion yen. 

That said -1 can be considered a soft disappointment if it did not reach anywhere close to Shin Godzilla or Eternal Zero. 

Shin Godzilla is literally the highest grossing Japanese Godzilla film ever and Eternal Zero was an insane success, acting like it has to reach that mark is ridiculous. It making over 20 million in USD, a mark most Godzilla films have failed to meet from 1999 onwards (Before that it's just too different), and outgrossing Shin Godzilla's US gross in two days is success enough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Shin Godzilla is literally the highest grossing Japanese Godzilla film ever and Eternal Zero was an insane success, acting like it has to reach that mark is ridiculous. It making over 20 million in USD, a mark most Godzilla films have failed to meet from 1999 onwards (Before that it's just too different), and outgrossing Shin Godzilla's US gross in two days is success enough.

This is why I said soft disappointment rather than a failure. Toho will likely have hoped that Godzilla -1 could reach somewhere close to those heights. 

-1 is indeed a massive success otherwise by all accounts if it can hit 4 billion yen.  

Toho has already said that expectations are not for this to hit Shin Godzilla numbers in Japan. Shin Godzilla was a different beast all together. That being said, like was said before the yen is very weak right now so going by usd amount in Japan is already foolish. 

-1 however will be a much bigger success overseas than Shin Godzilla. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Toho has already said that expectations are not for this to hit Shin Godzilla numbers in Japan. Shin Godzilla was a different beast all together. That being said, like was said before the yen is very weak right now so going by usd amount in Japan is already foolish. 

-1 however will be a much bigger success overseas than Shin Godzilla. 

I think the main target is to at least reach Shin Ultraman's numbers in Japan.  Which is looking likely at this point. 

I LOVED this.

This is one of the very few Godzilla movies that perfectly strikes the balance between the Godzilla scenes we all come for and the human drama, which is actually written really well. This has maybe the best human protagonist in the Godzilla franchise. The action was awesome, the effects look stellar and the music was also on point. Literally everything i wanted.

I hope it makes all the money.

• Like 3

I have forgotten to post but Director gave a clue earlier about Film Budget - It's between ¥1.0B~¥3.0B

I have ¥2.5B Production ($17M) while advertisement cost another ¥500M ($3.4M)

Variety gave $15M (I guess it's somewhere displacing with ER or Production cost ¥2.3B.

All the talk of it's budget and...do people just not know what Japans labor conditions are like? Do you think it costs 15 million because they have some secret means of reducing cost nobody else in the world has access to, or that it's because the labor is ridiculously exploited?

Seriously after two major strikes with a possible third next year youd have thought....

Edited by SpiderByte

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

All the talk of it's budget and...do people just not know what Japans labor conditions are like? Do you think it costs 15 million because they have some secret means of reducing cost nobody else in the world has access to, or that it's because the labor is ridiculously exploited?

Seriously after two major strikes with a possible third next year youd have thought....

Is there any source on that $15m number? I certainly can't find any.

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/godzilla-minus-one-review-gojira-mainasu-wan-1235805243/

Variety cites it as 15M. It seems like other articles got that number from them in the first hand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

It's pretty credible. The biggest budget Japanese film is 50 million with Princess Kaguya with animation and live action with (checks notes) the live action Gantz movie?

The reason costs are so low is because the US has way, way more labor regulations which require paying people more. This movie, made the exact same way in the US, would cost much much more than 15 million.

Edited by SpiderByte