57 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Japan

4.3「Y!映画」

4.3「Moviewalker」

4.0「Filmarks」

4.0「映画.com」

16.6 pts / 83% RT

Scores has improved from Opening Day!

Is there any chance this movie could come close to Shin Godzillas perfomance?

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Is there any chance this movie could come close to Shin Godzillas perfomance?

There is always a possibility for it to overperform but since live-action Japanese Film are again weak in post-CoVid-19 Japan [Highest - Kingdom III (2023) ¥5.56B] so I will hold my thoughts. Let's see how weekdays &2nd Weekend, November is quite barren here (weak films) so it should be fine until "SPY X FAMILY" (Dec 22). For me, I am happy with any number above ¥5.0B.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

Is there a way for someone to compare how it’s doing compared to Shin Godzilla in Japan? Not talking usd gross since yen is pretty weak right now compared to 2016… but attendance and yen total compared to Shin through first two weekends. 

Absolutely phenomenal start on RT, 8.2 avg woah. Even the much buzzed about Shin didn’t get anywhere near this reception from western critics. Still early too though. 

Japan just low key swooping in to save our wretched Hollywood mediocrity this holiday between this and Heron… 

Edited by MovieMan89

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely phenomenal start on RT, 8.2 avg woah. Even the much buzzed about Shin didn’t get anywhere near this reception from western critics. Still early too though. 

Japan just low key swooping in to save our wretched Hollywood mediocrity this holiday between this and Heron… 

Live stream clip from Godzilla Minus One preparing to stomp on the competition:

kick-dropkick.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The avg is going up on RT, this is actually insane for Godzilla. Even with all the Japanese awards and acclaim, Shin still only managed a 6.7 avg on RT in the west. Crazy this might rival Boy and the Heron’s reception. 

Shin Godzilla's glowing japanese reception has to be seen in the context of the many allegorys and themes the movie touches which japanese audiences see differently than western audiences, i.e. the allegorys to Fukushima and the japanese governemts reaction to the 2011 disaster in particular. Shin Godzilla is in many aspects a satire of japanese crisis politics, but that is hard to see/understand fully as a westerner, so a more muted western reception is completely understandable imo.

Minus One on the other hand seems to be a more straight-forward monster disaster movie and as one, it seems to check every right box. I love to see it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Shin Godzilla's glowing japanese reception has to be seen in the context of the many allegorys and themes the movie touches which japanese audiences see differently than western audiences, i.e. the allegorys to Fukushima and the japanese governemts reaction to the 2011 disaster in particular. Shin Godzilla is in many aspects a satire of japanese crisis politics, but that is hard to see/understand fully as a westerner, so a more muted western reception is completely understandable imo.

Minus One on the other hand seems to be a more straight-forward monster disaster movie and as one, it seems to check every right box. I love to see it!

Minus one has a much more universal story, very Spielberg. Following the one found family throughout the whole film adds a lot more emotional weight to the second half of the story. The culmination of the Protag's story gave me some of the biggest chills I've felt this year. I loved Shin but it didn't make me feel anything. 

Edited by SaltyPistola

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, I’m definitely aware of the contextual nature of Shin for living in Japan. Obviously that played a part in western reception, but I think it was also just that Godzilla is not historically a critical darling or anything with western critics. Has often been viewed too much as cheesy camp for that I think. 

Shin’s western reception was already impressive for the franchise in and of itself, but this is totally blowing it away in that regard.