cooldude97

GODZILLA MINUS ONE | Japan 11/3/23, North America 12/1/23 | Wide Release

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

Absolutely criminal this probably won't get Oscar nomination because its a monster movie, just amazing all around 

The first thing came to my mind was best VFX. The visual effect put up here was better than a lot of Hollywood’s effort nowadays.

This was great mostly. Didn't think the family melodrama part was as fleshed out as I would've liked it to be (really could've extended that to another half an hour) but the setpieces were terrific and I did love the film's plea to not just survive but to live. There's one bit in the movie that plays exactly like a scene in Dunkirk and I found that kinda funny.

Saw this last night. Terrific film; it really works as a satisfying action thriller.  Some of the best action set pieces all year. In an unexpected way, this end of & immediate post-WW2 version of Godzilla feels like a fitting nuclear-tinged,, zeitgeisty book-end to July's Oppenheimer. Talk about the Destroyer of Worlds personified (monsterified?).

Our large IMAX theater that was about 1/2 full -- the good seats all mostly taken. There was widespread audience clapping at the end (only the third time I've heard that all year -- after Barbie and GotG3 as well).

Critics Consensus

With engaging human stories anchoring the action, Godzilla Minus One is one kaiju movie that remains truly compelling between the scenes of mass destruction.

98% RT (47 reviews)

100% Top critics

I think this film is considered as limited release. So it already gets the requirement for cirtified fresh.

PostTrak exits last night of 5 stars, 91% positive along with a 96% positive RT critics score and 97% from audiences.

$2.1M WED+THU Previews (1,921 locs)

The film opens wide today in 2,308 locations with over 750 Premium Format Screens (including 250 IMAX Screens. The Japanese reboot is expected to make in the high single digits-$10M+ for the weekend

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1