CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

8 minutes ago, Souther said:

Is Tom Cruise's career finished now? MI series will be over after DR:2, since Paramount would lose or make a meager profit once part 2 releases. His non franchise films have all flopped in the last 17 years and apart from Top Gun, there is no other film in his resume that he could make a franchise on. I think he is going to do another Top Gun film in the next 3-4 years and that will be his only successful film. His space film with Doug Liman would be really expensive to make (the budget is 200 M+ and the box office grosses might not be 400 M WW) and Universal might shelve it after the underperformance of Mission Impossible 7. The only option I think Cruise has is take those fat cheques from streaming services and do what Adam Sandler is doing, i.e make streaming films. 

He’s probably going to try for an Oscar now. 

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

He’s probably going to try for an Oscar now. 

Will be difficult for him. He did not even attend Oscars for the fear of getting ridiculed by Kimmel. There is a reason he stays away from industry events and has transitioned to making actions films post 2006. Also, no A-list director wants to work with him now. 

And just as we expected, the reactionary 'is Cruise's theatrical career over' talking points have started, completely ignoring that he's coming off the hottest streak in his 40 year career with 2 back to back personal records and a great new movie.

Maybe the question to ask is will Paramount's leadership and marketing team survive this

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Algebra said:

And just as we expected, the reactionary 'is Cruise's theatrical career over' talking points have started, completely ignoring that he's coming off the hottest streak in his 40 year career with 2 back to back personal records and a great new movie.

Maybe the question to ask is will Paramount's leadership and marketing team survive this

Yeah I don't get how continuing to make some of the best popcorn blockbusters of the last 5 years is a bad thing. This is on the absolute clown show Paramount seems to be right now. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

UK numbers are decent for MI:DR, Rth just posted an update there 

fallout made £7.3m in its OW there including previews, MI:DR should be at £5.8m by the end of Fri so will easily surpass it given the shitty weather this weekend.

Looking at these numbers I think SOF is actually playing a bigger part in MI7's domestic underperformance than others. SOF isn't here in the UK yet so MI:DR has been allowed to run uncontested, producing a natural increase from Fallout that it has been denied stateside.

• Like 1

Not sure how MI:DR got such a high critics score on RT? 

It is nowhere near the level of John Wick 4 or Top Gun,: Maverick.

Yeah, before anyone replies and ask whether I know how RT aggregate score works.

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

UK numbers are decent for MI:DR, Rth just posted an update there 

fallout made £7.3m in its OW there including previews, MI:DR should be at £5.8m by the end of Fri so will easily surpass it given the shitty weather this weekend.

Looking at these numbers I think SOF is actually playing a bigger part in MI7's domestic underperformance than others. SOF isn't here in the UK yet so MI:DR has been allowed to run uncontested, producing a natural increase from Fallout that it has been denied stateside.

AUS is increasing over fallout too. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RthMav said:

MI7 I 2nd Jat's 14.5m

That is "just" 75% bump from Thursday, not much better compared to another Wed opener the last knight, which grew 69% from Thur-Fri,.

Yes, it is time to panic because 5 days opening + EA is doing on par with JW4's OW.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah I don't get how continuing to make some of the best popcorn blockbusters of the last 5 years is a bad thing. This is on the absolute clown show Paramount seems to be right now. 

Smfh tbh

14 minutes ago, Souther said:

Only Shah Rukh Khan won't do streaming films. Cruise will do them in the near future. BTW, where did you read that Cruise put his own money in DR? 

It was thrown around a lot back when he was trying to film DR during covid 

32 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Trying to figure out if it can least hit 50 for the weekend. It would probably have to do at least 20 on saturday and  16 on sunday. The length shoulld make saturday the high water day for this. Will see. 

Just like I thought it would 70%+ from Thur to Friday I think the internal will be at least 3.5 maybe 3.6.  So $50m+ then add in that wayward $2m+ in early previews.  Probably hits around $54m which is line with the last two MI openers (one with previews and one without)  It'll take a hit next w/e but after that what's left to keep it from running for the rest of the summer?  Meg2 and Ninja Turtles Redux x?

Paramount's theatrical business was truly coasting on TGM's success since their last big hit MI:Fallout.

They need Cruise a fuckton more than he needs them. And if they're smart, they should market the living fuck out of DR2 starting a year out and keeping hype sustained till release like Barbie did.

Not this shitty start - stop for 6 months- one BTS - stop for 6 months - start campaign they had for DR1

Edited by Algebra

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

MI7's box office numbers are doing just fine. It's going to open above $200M worldwide. The budget on the movie is much larger than it should have been, but that's a different issue. Hard to complain about any movie opening above $200M globally. 

It'll probably open to $230m+ at the very least. That's for sure. Legs in the wake of Barbenheimer and a truly decaying theateical business is the key issue here