CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Future generations of studio execs are gonna look back on this summer as the one where those in charge allowed both budgets for their blockbusters to reach the point where they were destined to lose money and for the entire industry to be shut down as a result of corporate greed. Hey, at least that ensures this summer will be a lot more remembered than most are!

Edited by filmlover

I don't really see what the big deal is. Who cares if the money is counted at the beginning of the week or the end of the week. It all goes to the same place. Theater owners and studios. At the end of the day the gross is going to be the gross.

34 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Also I’d argue that going up from Wed to Thur is a good sign. 

In a vacuum, yes.  However, most everything went up Wed > Thurs because they weren't facing MI7 previews like most movies do on Thursdays.

The problem is that it dropped 57% from last Thursday, which was one of the worst week-to-week holds.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What was everyone's favorite year for movies since 2010?

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

2) Mission Impossible Fallout

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

1) Avengers: Endgame

2) Spider-Man: No Way Home

3) Captain America: Civil War

4) Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3

5) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

I’ve been eating excellent Spider-Man content since TASM2. I know it’s controversial to prefer ATSV over ITSV, but I genuinely love this film. Ironically, if you asked me "the best films" since 2010 the answer would be different, I believe. I think Avengers: Infinity War is a better film than Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, but I’m not sure if either would be on that list. I’m 100% on Endgame and No Way Home being there though.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could honestly see not a single movie released in August making $50M+ total aside from TMNT and Meg 2. Staying power for everything that sticks around until then should be solid at least until sequel-heavy September arrives.

#BlueBeetleBattalion 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Future generations of studio execs are gonna look back on this summer as the one where those in charge allowed both budgets for their blockbusters to reach the point where they were destined to lose money and for the entire industry to be shut down as a result of corporate greed. Hey, at least that ensures this summer will be a lot more remembered than most are!

fwiw, it's not like they had a choice. covid just happened lol

of course plenty of blockbusters this summer would've been a bust regardless

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

Maybe 2016 or 2017. 

In 2016 there was Your Name, The Handmaiden, Arrival, Silence, Shin Godzilla, Rogue One, Zootopia, Finding Dory, Deadpool. 

And 2017 had Death of Stalin, Coco, Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, Call Me By Your Name, It, I Tonya, Jumanji. 

2018 pretty strong too though. 

Edited by lab276
  • Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’ve been eating excellent Spider-Man content since TASM2. I know it’s controversial to prefer ATSV over ITSV, but I genuinely love this film. Ironically, if you asked me "the best films" since 2010 the answer would be different, I believe. I think Avengers: Infinity War is a better film than Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, but I’m not sure if either would be on that list. I’m 100% on Endgame and No Way Home being there though.

I appreciate the feedback but I meant the best year at the movies.

Basically your favorite year since 2010.

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

1. Babylon

2. Way Of Water

3. Maverick

4. The Batman

5., Tar. 

shout-out to 2019 with Joker, Parasite, KOTM, Knives out and Marriage Story.  

Edited by WorkingonaName
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

None of the movies you listed came out the same year

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

2017 - Dunkirk, BR: 2049, Good Time, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Phantom Thread, Get Out, Ghost Story, I Tonya, War for The Apes, Logan, Okja, Lost City of Z, Wonder Woman, Florida Project, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, Shape of Water, Baby Driver, Wind River

The sheer volume of good shit was staggering. Add Twin Peaks The Return and The Leftovers Season 3 and it was an incredible year for TV too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

2012 was an embarrassment of riches, an incredibly deep and diverse list of bangers 

Avengers

Skyfall

Lincoln

Django

21 Jump Street

Argo

Magic Mike

Zero Dark Thirty

Jack Reacher

Looper

ParaNorman

The Grey

Sinister

Moonrise Kingdom

Cabin in the Woods

Cloud Atlas

The Master

The Raid

Dredd

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

gotta be 2015 or 2016 for me, incredible years for my sensibilities, a lot of my absolute favorites like fury road, arrival, handmaiden came out those years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I hear what you're saying but this summer is always the most crowded time of year for movies. It always have to coexist with one another and usually it works out just fine. If the movie is good enough and enough people are recommending it then it will find a way to survive just like other movies have for the last 40 years in the summertime.

But let's give it a worst case scenario and say that it does 160 domestic and 450 internationally. Is a 600 million gross really that terrible? It's not great but it's not horrible.

Yeah 160 would  be what NTTD made domestically. This will have summer weekdays at least and has a head start over that already. 

Just now, grey ghost said:

I appreciate the feedback but I meant the best year at the movies.

Basically your favorite year since 2010.

Read it wrong and damn, that’s though. So though lol. But yeah I think I need to go with 2016, then, but it’s so hard because 2018 was also fucking insane:

2016:

1) Captain America: Civil War

2) Deadpool

3) Rogue One

4) Arrival

5) Doctor Strange

2018:

1) Avengers: Infinity War

2) Black Panther

3) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

4) Deadpool 2 

5) Hereditary 

Arguaby my favorite years of film during the 10s.

• Thanks 1

I made a post (if not in last weekend's thread, the one before) about the signs pointing to Dead Reckoning disappointing. Numbers are showing that audiences are not being excited for franchise movies that don't seem to offer a new experience, and M:I7 was probably one of the biggest offenders this summer. The trailers made it seem repetitive, both visually and narratively. Even the new character played by Hayley Atwell felt like something we've seen before. That stunt that was heavily promoted also wasn't that impressive. Critic reception is better than I was expecting (it's almost a miracle that Cruise and McQuarrie pulled yet another over 94% RT score), but that clearly wasn't enough to convince audiences this is a must see.

As much as we would like to see box office prediction objectively, truth is sometimes things will happen that don't make sense when we look at all the metrics, but I learned a lesson when War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) had a significant drop from its unanimously praised predecessor, despite getting the best reviews in the franchise. Sometimes a movie just fails to be exciting despite everything working in its favor. I'm a huge fan of the recent M:I movies, but if I needed the marketing campaign to sell me on Dead Reckoning Part 1, it's unlikely that it would have been one of my most anticipated this year. I was only confident in it because of how great the previous two movies were.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

None of the movies you listed came out the same year

Yeah I read it wrong lol, I read it like my favorite films since 2010, lol. Made my lists correctly now, it’s a toss up between 2016 and 2018. Avengers: Endgame is one of my favorite films ever and the best experience I’ve ever had at a movie theater, but in sheer volume of favorite films, it gotta be one of those two years.