CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Happy to eat a bit of crow over this M:I number - goodwill for both Cruise and the series was as high as it could ever get, and action fans hadn’t exactly been spoiled so far this summer. It’s, at the very least, a mild surprise. 

Yeah, gonna put this down as a fail without a miracle...1st in awhile, but I guess I could have another one next weekend (or two, we'll have to see how they both go:)...

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Barbie has not been very relevant as a product since maybeee the 00s, probably the 90s. Hence why I think so many thought the movie wouldn’t do anything. Even I would have never predicted it if I wasn’t paying such close attention to what was happening on social media from that very first promo image of Margot in the car released. 

This isn't true at all. It might not be as popular as it once was, but it is still an absolutely dominant toy line.

2 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

This isn't true at all. It might not be as popular as it once was, but it is still an absolutely dominant toy line.

By post 2010 dominant toy line standards, I mean sure I guess?? But there’s really no such thing as highly relevant toys among children anymore. 

It’s why they extremely smartly opted to ignore kids for the marketing of Barbie and the movie they were making. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, KGPatt2 said:

At this point I’m pretty sure MovieMan89 is trolling. Like, come on:

Mattel properties Barbie and Hot Wheels named global leaders by NPD

https://toyworldmag.co.uk/mattel-properties-barbie-and-hot-wheels-named-global-leaders-by-npd/

Since its inception, the Barbie Fashionistas line has introduced more than 175 looks, offering a variety of skin tones, eye colours, hair colours and textures, body types and fashions to choose from. Barbie has created new ways of engaging consumers through new product innovation, cultural relevance, digital dialogue and the celebration of female role models. In 2020 the brand also honoured frontline healthcare workers and furthered its mission to inspire the limitless potential in every girl through the Barbie Dream Gap Project initiative.

As Barbie accelerates to new heights as the No.1 global toy property and holds as the No.1 fashion doll property, the message is clear that the Barbie brand is more relevant than ever,” said Lisa McKnight, senior VP and global head of Barbie and dolls, Mattel. “As the most diverse fashion doll line on the market, we take great responsibility in better reflecting the world around us and know there are many positive benefits to exposing children to dolls with different skin tones, hair types, abilities and more. We are proud to offer an even wider range of diverse choices with the latest Barbie Fashionistas line so more kids see themselves reflected in our doll line.”

Article was published back in January 2021, btw.

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

:capmad

Dude Robbie is straight up box office poison. Outside of Wolf of Wall Street and she had any film that's really done well?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

By post 2010 dominant toy line standards, I mean sure I guess?? But there’s really no such thing as highly relevant toys among children anymore. 

It’s why they extremely smartly opted to ignore kids for the marketing of Barbie and the movie they were making. 

What are you even talking about?

I'm bowing out. Arguing that Barbie isn't a dominant toy line and is borderline irrelevant is not something I'm going to do with you. It's like arguing with someone who says Avatar isn't popular or with Kyrie Irving about the shape of the Earth.

I got out of MI after an emergency alarm forced the film to stop and everyone leave the theater. Thankfully they started it back where it left off once it was safe to go back in. 

And this movie is f*cking great! Like potentially best of the franchise great. If you want to pace your three hour film, you study this one because it's one of the best paced 3 hours films I've ever seen. 

America! C'mon!

Matthew Macfadyen Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Dude Robbie is straight up box office poison. Outside of Wolf of Wall Street and she had any film that's really done well?

I mean, I don’t like Suicide Squad and I think it was trash, but I did attend the theater drunk and had a good time. Pretty sure that the 2016 film, despite hated to the point that the audiences rejected both the excellent Harley Quinn and The Suicide Squad, it was a mild success. 

Robbie not having luck with her projects doesn’t mean that she isn’t popular. I’d argue that it’s quite the opposite, actually. She isn’t the reason why her films bombed, they bombed despite of her and if they made any money at all, it was thank to her. I mean, she is the reason I even bothered with Birds of Prey, and I dig that one.

Edited by ZattMurdock

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then how do you explain why kids were all but ignored in seemingly all factors of this Barbie movie we’re getting if it’s so highly popular with them? 

This movie is a tiny fraction of the Barbie brand. How this movie is marketed is absolutely irrelevant compared to the proof in the toy sales and real estate it owns in all retailers and markets.

They found a way to make and market a movie to adults while still having little girls interested because of the brand name. That doesn't mean the brand is irrelevant to children. Goodness...

It's an interesting discussion that what causes the domestic numbers to be smaller as expected and it all comes back to SoF eating up that adult crowd. All those red state males showed up for TGM. It's too lazy to say franchise fatigue and poor marketing when the film is beating FALLOUT in UK and Australia, two markets that usually perform similar to the US. So I would stay away from extreme doom talk and can't say that trailers worked there but not in the US either. I think what we are going to see is a bit of a stumble next week, but then it recovers nicely all way through August.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, narniadis said:

also, @Cap and other mods, is there a setting for ignored users that I have missed when it comes to their quotes? Been long enough that I have forgotten but my "purging" this week only works so far 😄

Alas, as far as I know, nope. Cause the reblog post is from a user not on the ignore list. 

just try to train your eyes to not look at the quote 😅

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Forget the budget for a second. 

Mission (China withstanding) isn’t a million miles away from what Fallout was doing. 

The disappointment is largely down to expectation after Maverick last summer. Take that out of the equation and it’s doing fine.  Not amazing, but perfectly in line with what this series normally does. 

I’m getting tired of the budget being brought into question. It had to cost that much to finish as it had been in production for literally years.  They didn’t overspend. They started before a worldwide pandemic so do the maths. 

so yeah, I did expect a Maverick bump and that hasn’t happened. Oh well. I guess it makes sense and I wasn’t being realistic. China helped a whole bunch to that huge Fallout total, and they’re a shit show for pretty much every Hollywood release compared to a few years ago. 

I do think a bunch of us are wildly overreacting and whilst I wish it was doing a little better, it’s far from a disaster when compared to films within its own franchise. 

Dead Reckoning is performing like a Mission: Impossible movie. 

QFT. Exactly. This. So much this.

My initial thought on Barbie was that it could “surprise” for like a ~$75M opening and $200M+ run.  Never did I think it could potentially win the summer. To those who had it much higher from the jump 

GIF by MOODMAN