CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

53 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Agreed. That year is a blast to go back to look to cause it's a really weird year in general. Gladiator being as big of a hit as it was despite being pegged as a bomb, rom-coms like What Women Want still dominating the box office. It feels like the 90s snuck in.

Does anyone else remember the fancy ass X-Men movie website with the character profiles? Tween me's mind was blown, especially as it was the first time I was seeing most of the characters' looks in the movie adaptation.

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Does anyone else remember the fancy ass X-Men movie website with the character profiles? Tween me's mind was blown, especially as it was the first time I was seeing most of the characters' looks in the movie adaptation.

Unfournately I was way too young at the time for that (I was 2 years old when X-Men came out) but I wish movie websites like this still existed. They feel like a bygone era already.

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Sound of Freedom which is shaping up for an estimated $24.7M second weekend in second place, up a hu-mungo 26%

I hate these kind of updates when they tell you what they're going to do for the weekend but not what the bump was for saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I hate these kind of updates when they tell you what they're going to do for the weekend but not what the bump was for saturday.

charlie tweeted 9.5m a little while ago (+27% yesterday, +32% last week), if it overperforms like his estimate yesterday it could get over 10m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

13-year-old me, who vibed hard with M:I-2 on DVD in the summer of 2004 for whatever reason, feels vindicated that enough people have come around on seeing it for the cheesy fun it is. I think it's handily the weakest entry in the franchise, but I still have a lot of fun whenever I revisit it for franchise rewatches. Definitely makes me wish that John Woo had gotten better projects to work with afterward, since his style still comes through despite obvious post-production interference.

2000 is a really wacky box office year in general. There are so many stats on #1s, repeat #1s, $100 million grossers, all-time opening charts of the time, massive breakouts, and... well... basically everything about The Grinch's run that feel like they needed several footnotes to fully explain their context even just a few years later. In many ways, it felt like the last hurrah of the box office trends of the '90s before opening weekends and emphasis on franchises and IP began to absolutely explode in '01.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Yep I remember what a depressing weekend that was. 

Yeh that was a shocking weekend, I remember the weekend thread on the forums at that time. Especially after how hard they promoted it, Tom Cruise was literally showing up to European premieres on jet skis and everything. Then it opened in the 40’s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh that was a shocking weekend, I remember the weekend thread on the forums at that time. Especially after how hard they promoted it, Tom Cruise was literally showing up to European premieres on jet skis and everything. Then it opened in the 40’s. 

And it came in spite of leading off the summer blockbuster season and opening in over 4,000 theaters, which only precious few event films did at the time. I also remember that it had some crazy huge tracking numbers a few weeks out that painted an inaccurate picture of where awareness and anticipation really were.

All that said, I've always really enjoyed M:I-III. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great villain and the Alias-influenced style J.J. Abrams brings behind the camera still makes it feel unique all this time later. It's still a really fun summer movie.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

charlie tweeted 9.5m a little while ago (+27% yesterday, +32% last week), if it overperforms like his estimate yesterday it could get over 10m

Since Charlie does not include the PiF money in his numbers, the final saturday number should go over $10 million.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

And it came in spite of leading off the summer blockbuster season and opening in over 4,000 theaters, which only precious few event films did at the time. I also remember that it had some crazy huge tracking numbers a few weeks out that painted an inaccurate picture of where awareness and anticipation really were.

All that said, I've always really enjoyed M:I-III. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great villain and the Alias-influenced style J.J. Abrams brings behind the camera still makes it feel unique all this time later. It's still a really fun summer movie.

Depends on my mood but I tend to think M:I-III as my favourite of the original three. Abrams style in it seems to have become more divisive over time - lots of people saying it looks too "TV" or it's edited poorly which I disagree wholeheartedly with - but I like how it looks, it almost feels like Abrams trying to embrace his inner Tony Scott. It's a pretty vicious film too, much darker then the prior films in terms of imagery and it's a nastier one too, which I like. It's the only M:I film that really constantly feels like shit is going south every single second. The bridge sequence is so good.

If anything, it's biggest flaw is that Hoffman isn't in it enough, frankly. Rewatching it in prep for DR made me realize just how little he's actually in it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Okay i’m convinced MI7 jump was so good today because this Pom / Simon Pegg interview is getting viral and it’s seriously the best marketing piece of the whole movie 

I've been seeing this clip all day on TikTok and being reposted by people I didn't even think would be interested in M:I. If it gets them interested, hell yeah. Let it spread.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I've been seeing this clip all day on TikTok and being reposted by people I didn't even think would be interested in M:I. If it gets them interested, hell yeah. Let it spread.

And the funniest part is that is very possible the movie is finding it’s path because of WOM of course but also actors promoting it is clicking with people 

Oh Hollywood you’re so screwed for the next few months lol

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Okay i’m convinced MI7 jump was so good today because this Pom / Simon Pegg interview is getting viral and it’s seriously the best marketing piece of the whole movie 

Omg, I'm seeing this literally everywhere lol

It genuinely might have helped a little

22 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

If people inhere are goin crazy over a projected $75/80M OW what will happen next week when Barbie/Nolan will make it drop like a rock?

Then it will pick back up later. Also I think Barbie/Oppenheimer are gonna have enough sold out shows that some of their walkup audience are gonna end up seeing Mission Impossible to kill time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fanboy said:

Then it will pick back up later. Also I think Barbie/Oppenheimer are gonna have enough sold out shows that some of their walkup audience are gonna end up seeing Mission Impossible to kill time. 

Yeah but it won’t be enough to pull off a multi like Fallout anyway.