CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Okay i’m convinced MI7 jump was so good today because this Pom / Simon Pegg interview is getting viral and it’s seriously the best marketing piece of the whole movie 

I absolutely love Pom. I genuinely wish videogame adaptations didn’t suck so much, her Black Mirror episode fully convinced me she’d be THE PERFECT Chun-Li, but judging how all the fighting games live action films suck other than the OG Mortal Kombat film in a B movie so bad it’s good kinda way, I hope she never do it actually. It’s a shame, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Has anyone in this forum attended a showing of SOF? Are there actually people in the seats watching the film? The numbers for it are absurd and I struggle to believe they are realistic. I think I will go see DR in Dolby on Sunday afternoon and peak my head into a SOF screening to see for myself.

Yes, I did Monday - as I've mentioned (about 10 times now - maybe I should put this in my sig), my sold out showing was sold out with butts in seats (and I'll add - folks with food from concessions, so I was not surprised my Cinemarks expanded the film to 2 screens this weekend each b/c they were making a ton on the movie, probably all at full price ticket rates vs subscriber rates)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For Sound of Freedom - finding a film that non-subscribers will flock to is the jackpot for the big 3 movie chains.  Full price tickets subsidize movie subscriptions in part, and not having to eat the reduced cost of a lot of subscribers, but being able to actually get the full $15-$16.50/ticket (that's my Cinemark's non-PLF nightly rate for a blockbuster vs their $9.99 monthly sub rate for 1 ticket) per seat has got to be a godsend.

And, as I said above, add in that the folks going tend to mostly be enjoying concessions, ala a Top Gun 2 throwback from last year, and this might be the most profitable movie for theater chains as far as money directly in their pockets and staying there, this summer (since I doubt SoF had any real strength to demand a high dollar percent back on ticket sales).

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

No reason to just go up 28% minus previews just like no reason not to have Friday jump of 75%.  It's behaving like a 2nd w/e with so much early demand used up from Monday to Thur.

It definitely is, just thought there would still be some level of Friday frontloadedness even with the Wed opening. Guess there just wasn’t much of a fan rush at all, beyond the previews/EA shows 

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, I did Monday - as I've mentioned (about 10 times now - maybe I should put this in my sig), my sold out showing was sold out with butts in seats (and I'll add - folks with food from concessions, so I was not surprised my Cinemarks expanded the film to 2 screens this weekend each b/c they were making a ton on the movie, probably all at full price ticket rates vs subscriber rates)...

I'm showing was also sold out and last night when I was at the theater I checked in on sound of freedom to see what it was like in there and it was also sold out right to the front row.

• Like 1

The problem with just going into random auditoriums to see how filled up it is, is that on average most shows are going to be pretty empty.  Due to overall number of shows, sellouts are generally pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.  

And that's not even talking about what market they are in because I'm sure the south is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting.  When I went to MI7 yesterday, I briefly talked to my old boss and they are up to like 19 shows for SoF on the weekend.  

• Like 4

In regards to reports of “sold out” but nearly empty showings for SOF, I would bet those instances are primarily the result of bulk purchases, where some group or organization buys a bunch of tickets to a specific show and then hands them out to members to attend

Believe it or not, the return rate on a free ticket like that is typically pretty low, roughly a 1:3 ratio (primarily because there is no loss to individual if it’s not used), presuming all tickets can even be handed out. But for the pay-it-forward program, the individual chooses a specific day and time, so nearly all of those are likely getting used. 

Whatever one might think of who or why people are racing out to see it, the reported grosses are not going to be inflated all that much by bought but not used tickets; there’s a whole lot of butts in seats 

Edited by M37
  • Like 9

I also saw SOF. My Cinemark showing was almost sold out, just the front row was empty (probably a 50 seat auditorium). The crowd was older (average age 50ish) and white.  Last time, I saw a movie with this type of crowd was Hacksaw Ridge.  I thought the movie was okay, kinda of a bore but leaving the theater I saw some people in tears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I absolutely love Pom. I genuinely wish videogame adaptations didn’t suck so much, her Black Mirror episode fully convinced me she’d be THE PERFECT Chun-Li, but judging how all the fighting games live action films suck other than the OG Mortal Kombat film in a B movie so bad it’s good kinda way, I hope she never do it actually. It’s a shame, really.

The Street Fighter Sony movie just got the Talk to Me guys to direct, so maybe it could be great. Mortal Kombat 2, however, still has the same crew from the first one so i doubt it'll be any good

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Okay i’m convinced MI7 jump was so good today because this Pom / Simon Pegg interview is getting viral and it’s seriously the best marketing piece of the whole movie 

I love her so much. I can't believe there's a movie playing in cinemas right now with her, Hayley Atwell, Vanessa Kirby and Rebecca Ferguson in cinemas right now and America is letting it down... smh...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I also saw SOF. My Cinemark showing was almost sold out, just the front row was empty (probably a 50 seat auditorium). The crowd was older (average age 50ish) and white.  Last time, I saw a movie with this type of crowd was Hacksaw Ridge.  I thought the movie was okay, kinda of a bore but leaving the theater I saw some people in tears.

What is it about this movie that people of that demographic like?

I see on Wikipedia that it seems to promote Qanon theories, is that the answer, or is it more to it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

I see on Wikipedia that it seems to promote Qanon theories, is that the answer, or is it more to it?

We've been asked by @Cap to leave the conspiratorial stuff out of the box office threads. The movie does not promote conspiracy or qanon theories. It's about child sex trafficking. End of story.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

If you want to talk about that, this is the thread to do it in.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

It was a straight forward drama IMO.  My guess is the crowd was just your average person who goes to work everyday and church on Sunday. I think the word is out in church going circles that this is a movie they should see. I think its that simple.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

I love her so much. I can't believe there's a movie playing in cinemas right now with her, Hayley Atwell, Vanessa Kirby and Rebecca Ferguson in cinemas right now and America is letting it down... smh...

Breaks my heart a bit too. The cast of incredible women in MI7 and just how awesome they are all in the movie is a gift. They're the best part and they all get juicy run parts to play. Huge smile. Looking forward to what the ones that are around still do in the next part.

• Like 2