CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think Gran Turismo can surprise, the reactions for it was shockingly quite strong

double digit opening? 🤯

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

At the very least, they should've known they'd only get 1 week of PLFs.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Should have realized at least Oppenheimer was going for a similar audience and was going to take all premium screens 

Is sharing PLFs not a thing in America? Here currently there's the likes of MI7, Elemental, TF5 and No Hard Feelings sharing the big screens, although only MI7 is getting them in the evenings. MI7, Indy5, Insidious and No Hard Feelings sharing Gold Class screens. Is it really so hard to believe that Paramount thought they might be able to keep some of the screens if; they thought they had a good movie on their hands, MI6 being so well liked, TGM just made bank?

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

Is sharing PLFs not a thing in America?

Not really, no, unless you have two big movies coming out on the same weekend (some theaters are in fact splitting their PLF screens between Barbie and Oppenheimer next weekend even with the latter's runtime limiting the number of shows per day).

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t think so, their arguments about the movies being too expensive was for dozens of reasons other than too many people making good money out of them. 

We have a lot of movies costing 300M this summer and i’m 100% sure most people that worked on them make very little money. 

Because of that i don’t think there’s a correlation between their criticism of the insane budgets with the workers situation. I would say is even compliment the situation since the studios are spending too much and it’s not because they put value on the artists.

I mean, I understand the educated takeaway from the article, but when you mix these articles with reports that Harrison Ford made upwards on $25 million, it makes the narrative seem like actors are the problem.

I specifically bring this up because on the day the Strike was announced, I got caught up with this and unfairly went after higher paid actors.

It just feels like Hollywood lacks the transparency for journalists to make good faith arguments about budgets and overspending on films at this moment. Especially when writers are dealing with fandoms using budgets to attack the working class.

I also believe all these films would have done better had they been spread apart more. 

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

Is sharing PLFs not a thing in America? Here currently there's the likes of MI7, Elemental, TF5 and No Hard Feelings sharing the big screens, although only MI7 is getting them in the evenings. MI7, Indy5, Insidious and No Hard Feelings sharing Gold Class screens. Is it really so hard to believe that Paramount thought they might be able to keep some of the screens if; they thought they had a good movie on their hands, MI6 being so well liked, TGM just made bank?

For theater brand PLF, they have flexibility to share screens. But from what I can tell, those PLF screens are being shared between Barbie and Oppenheimer. MI7 is the odd man out. 

IMAX screens in particular are not shared. IMAX does exclusive contracts on a single movie at a time. The best example of this backfiring on them was a bad Terminator sequel that flopped, while Minions was making huge money. IMAX was locked into a contract with Terminator. 

Great thread from the Nazi site that really summarizes the issue to me, and exactly what Tele and I were saying in the strike thread. Frankly I think the falling back on old, risk-averse answers is not just Hollywood rn, it is everything from politics to sports to news media. To be clear I really liked Dead Recknoning and am glad it exists, but doesn't change the reality it is a 7th movie in a franchise with an older star.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would be so pissed if i was Tom Cruise and realize i dedicated years to create a dazzling cinematic achievement to lose some audience to something that looks like a glamourized TV movie lol 

af699721767a323269af59dd7952e405.jpeg

If Paramount did the same with M:IDR, $500m DOM would be locked. Movie ticket charity should be a thing 😔

Edited by Litio

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

For theater brand PLF, they have flexibility to share screens. But from what I can tell, those PLF screens are being shared between Barbie and Oppenheimer. MI7 is the odd man out. 

IMAX screens in particular are not shared. IMAX does exclusive contracts on a single movie at a time. The best example of this backfiring on them was a bad Terminator sequel that flopped, while Minions was making huge money. IMAX was locked into a contract with Terminator. 

OK, that's fair enough for IMAX. I've just checked the only IMAX screen in Australia, in Melbourne, and that's all documentaries in the morning and Oppenheimer in the evening from next week. I'm just not familiar with how IMAX works anymore, our screen in Sydney has been closed since 2016 😭 It's meant to reopen later this year, so I'm hoping Oppenheimer gets at least a few sessions then.

• Sad 1

SoF has another trick up its sleeve for next week (july 19 to be exact), might still get a very nice drop despite the 2 big releases

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Great thread from the Nazi site that really summarizes the issue to me, and exactly what Tele and I were saying in the strike thread. Frankly I think the falling back on old, risk-averse answers is not just Hollywood rn, it is everything from politics to sports to news media. To be clear I really liked Dead Recknoning and am glad it exists, but doesn't change the reality it is a 7th movie in a franchise with an older star.

I don't get this line of thinking when Guardians 3, the third in a sub-franchise and like 30th of a larger franchise, just did pretty well this summer.

"This is the 7th of a franchise" can't be the problem, especially when the audience scores are as good as they are. Clearly the problem with MI is the way Paramount handled it.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

But the thing is the audience is part of the problem. The biggest movies seem to be completely unoriginal properties, many of them succeeding on the jet fuel of childhood nostalgia more than anything else. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wasn't Joy Ride a huge risk? And No Hard Feelings?

I mean, there are examples of risky movies that aren't performing well either.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

But the thing is the audience is part of the problem. The biggest movies seem to be completely unoriginal properties, many of them succeeding on the jet fuel of childhood nostalgia more than anything else. 

The same Catch-22 has applied at several points in Hollywood history, and it doesn't change until the investments are made. The difference now is the technology - this creative dilemma has existed before, but never with streamers and other technolocial realities changing the landscape. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Exactly. I wouldn't call SMB the bastion of originality, it just took the lore from the games and repackaged it in movie form. Yeah, its story was original, but that's because it was taking a page from every. single. Mario. game. ever.

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Wasn't Joy Ride a huge risk? And No Hard Feelings?

I mean, there are examples of risky movies that aren't performing well either.

Of course. I think No Hard Feelings is doing mostly fine tbf because I don't care about the "budget" only what it makes itself. Joy Ride committed the cardinal sin of all comedies since the beginning of talkies - no star power. Elemental, Barbie, and even the Spider-Verse films are prime examples of big swings bringing in audiences.

Of course some dumb cash grabs like Mario will still make money. That has been true throughout the history of movies. I think when people hear these arguments they are wrongly assuming that we think of a former Hollywood where it was only big risks and nothing else.  Obviously, that's never been true and no one is saying that. It's just about balance in the types of projects, from the size of them to the subject matter. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

11 minutes ago, Litio said:

af699721767a323269af59dd7952e405.jpeg

If Paramount did the same with M:IDR, $500m DOM would be locked. Movie ticket charity should be a thing 😔

Around 10% of the total gross of SoF are from Pay it Forward tickets.

So even without this, it would be a huge hit.