Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Barbie is going to make an enormous amount of money, even if the legs aren't the best ever. I'm sure they'll be pretty solid in the worst case scenario.

Oppenheimer seems to be way more of a toss-up on the legs situation. That one could end up with some backlash. It's a 3 hour movie with very little action, but the Universal marketing department has made it seem like an action flick. Audiences don't like to be misled, so I guess we'll see what they think as it plays out. 

It's a Nolan flick .His name alone brings audience.

Nolan films just always get legs. Tenet flew past 300m OS dead middle in the pandemic. It's his worst recieved movie audience wise.

1 minute ago, Belakor said:

What is the budget of Oppenheimer? funny that this summer the two breakout non blockbusters doing BB numbers are both historical dramas with a budget of likely less than 30M

$100 million production budget for Oppenheimer. Probably another $80-100 million for marketing as well. 

4 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

The only negative to Oppenheimer doing so well is I can't refer to it as Floppenheimer. It has such a nice ring to it. 

Can't use "Oppenheimer BOMBS at box office" either. 

Need to use "Oppenheimer EXPLODES at box office" instead. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

$100 million production budget for Oppenheimer. Probably another $80-100 million for marketing as well. 

WTF, did Nolan actually detonated a nuclear bomb or what?

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I am amazed by how much Nolan put into final week marketing due to SAG strike. He is not a natural but has done a spectacular job. 

He's contractually obliged to promote it, I'm sure he wouldn't if he didn't have to. 

I find it odd people piled on The Haunted Mansion's director for showing up at the premiere but yet Nolan and Gerwig got a free pass. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Belakor said:

WTF, did Nolan actually detonated a nuclear bomb or what?

Well...he did say the movie is all practical. A few thousand lives are worth a Nolan masterpiece on IMAX.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Universal will likely make a small profit given that Nolan is on a $20m plus 20% of the gross deal. 

Probably needs $400+ million worldwide for Universal to get into profit territory. Guess we'll see if audiences will give it strong enough legs to get there. That's a long way off. In the short term, it will be pretty cool if this movie can go above $70 million this weekend. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

He's contractually obliged to promote it, I'm sure he wouldn't if he didn't have to. 

I find it odd people piled on The Haunted Mansion's director for showing up at the premiere but yet Nolan and Gerwig got a free pass. 

I do not think Nolan needs that kind of motivation, he clearly puts passion and energy in every film he makes, he probably makes the publicity for free

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably needs $400+ million worldwide for Universal to get into profit territory. Guess we'll see if audiences will give it strong enough legs to get there. That's a long way off. In the short term, it will be pretty cool if this movie can go above $70 million this weekend. 

If Tenet could make $365m during the height of the pandemic, I think Oppenheimer will do $400-500m with ease. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

is it boring like First Man or something ?

I'm seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow but as somebody who has read American Prometheus, it's likely a lot of people in suits and boardrooms talking. Lots and lots of talking.