Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

10 minutes ago, Cap said:

Y’all are doing the wrong order 🤦‍♀️. But have fun anyway! Wish I was there!

I'd think that would be the right order.  Do you really want to be thinking about Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb and it's aftermath and how screwed the world is all through Barbie?  Have your fun first.

• Like 4

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I'd think that would be the right order.  Do you really want to be thinking about Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb and it's aftermath and how screwed the world is all through Barbie?  Have your fun first.

Barbie-Oppenheimer would also be my order if I didn't have to start at like 5PM due to work. So it's Oppenheimer first simply cause I ain't staying up till like 1AM.

14 minutes ago, Cap said:

Y’all are doing the wrong order 🤦‍♀️. But have fun anyway! Wish I was there!

Cap I’ll have you know that I personally was the person heavily advocating for oppenheimer first but I was overrruled

(but also I’ve come around to this thinking. For a quick progression double I think Barbie then Oppenheimer is superior, but if say you were doing a 230pm of Oppenheimer and then a long dinner to decompress before a 9pm of Barbie, that would work too)

That's exactly what one of the critics said. "Double feature is not a great idea. But if you are gonna do it, you should make sure Oppenheimer is the 2nd movie instead of the 1st movie." Seems like Blankments has the correct strategy, and he picked the best movie theater in the country. He's on a roll. Lol

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'd think that would be the right order.  Do you really want to be thinking about Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb and its aftermath and how screwed the world is all through Barbie?  Have your fun first.

Nah; after 3 hours of Nolan’s Nolanisms, I would be in desperate need of color and fun.

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Cap I’ll have you know that I personally was the person heavily advocating for oppenheimer first but I was overrruled

I also got overruled this weekend — we just aren’t doing Oppenheimer 😂😂

Barbie then Oppenheimer seemed like the best choice at first. Pink and fun followed by existential dread.

but the more I thought about it, Oppenheimer then Barbie makes more sense. Matinee of Oppenheimer, get some heavy subject matter with some brilliant acting from your fav 21st century performers, then maybe grab a quick late lunch or drink and go in for some light hearted fun and mild satire.

• Like 4

Depends how big your break is in between films but if it's only a couple of hours or under Barbie then Oppenheimer is the way to go. I surprisingly found the experience not as draining as I found watching Your Name and then Arrival (the last time I watched movies in the cinema back to back) considering how time is handled in both movies and they're pretty emotional too.

During the last month, my wishful expectation was 200M+ combined for both movies, which already is a lock so I'm already satisfied.

Right now I'm preaching for these milestones, but is just wishful thinking and won't be disappointed if either of them won't happen:

-10M+ previews for Oppenheimer.

-20M+ previews for Barbie.

55 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The Irvine Spectrum (CA) also reportedly had problems with their IMAX showing as well. I am sure people were outraged and very vocal about it.

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Man, disastrous stuff going on with the San Antonio River Walk IMAX tonight. Reddit thread reported that something went wrong with the projection & sound. It took 20+ minutes before the theater staff realized what was going on. They canceled that show, along with the later show tonight as well. And now a bunch of people who were traveling from other towns are nervous as hell that it won't function properly for them in the coming days. 

My showing also had problems lol . It was an English showing but there were no Spanish subtitles and my theater had to restart the movie 4 times, delaying it by 30 minutes.

Staring to think Tom Cruise might be sabotaging it .

• Haha 1

I did The Muppets and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo back-to-back for my 15th birthday. I was mostly excited about seeing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cause it was the first time I could see a MA15+ film (equivalent of R in Aus) without an adult lol. 

• Like 1

Is it fair to expect a x9 or even possibly a x10 IM for Oppenheimer? I know it’s Nolan in July and all but it’s a three-hour R-rated movie with limited capacity. Its audience is going to have a much, MUCH easier time setting aside three hours to watch it on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon than Thursday night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Is it fair to expect a x9 or even possibly a x10 IM for Oppenheimer? I know it’s Nolan in July and all but it’s a three-hour R-rated movie with limited capacity. Its audience is going to have a much, MUCH easier time setting aside three hours to watch it on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon than Thursday night.

It's a fair question. I don't go to night shows anymore, mainly for safety reasons. My house is kind of in the middle of nowhere with dark roads, so driving late at night is a bad idea. So I will be seeing Oppenheimer on Friday morning...and I'm thinking of seeing it on Tuesday morning (discounted price) unless I hate the movie. 

• Like 1