Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That may be the most impressive Sun hold I have ever seen if Barbie does that, since there’s no holiday involved whatsoever.

It will be very interesting to see what studios take away from this thought. I’m not so sure they will be gung ho on reattempting the dual major new releases strategy again despite the success, when it’s 100% clear with Sunday’s number that Barbie’s OW was held back by lack of screens from the comp.  

Granted, Im sure it will make up for it in the coming weeks, but hard to say if the studio will see it that way, esp when they are so trained to look at box office as opening weekend these days. 

The squeeze is always there in summer. Next week we have Disney pushing Haunted Mansion pretty hard. Already noticed AMC is giving the Dolby Cinema screens to that one. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The squeeze is always there in summer. Next week we have Disney pushing Haunted Mansion pretty hard. Already noticed AMC is giving the Dolby Cinema screens to that one. 

There’s a big difference though in the summer squeeze vs releasing two movies on the same weekend generating major buzz. I’m not sure studios will even want to try to recreate it.

And fwiw, I did say all along this summer was too crowded in terms of sheer number of big budget releases… 

Edited by MovieMan89

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Elemental will help certainly. 👍

I was gone for a few years, so excuse me as I ask this: You used to be the biggest stan around for Zootopia, didn't you? Nice to see you moving on, I'm sure you are very happy with elementals proving people wrong.

Also, this weekend is amazing for surprises. Barbenheimer is a dream

Edited by Arlborn

Barbie will become the biggest 2D only opening weekend of all time beating TDKR. When Catching Fire missed that it looked like we might not see any movie breaking that because everything was in 3D at the time but slowly 3D became an afterthought except for things like Avatar of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

I was gonna for a few years, so excuse me as I ask this: You used to be the biggest stan around for Zootopia, didn't you? Nice to see you moving on, I'm sure you are very happy with elementals proving people wrong.

Also, this weekend is amazing for surprises. Barbenheimer is a dream

haha yeah I was a huge insane Zootopia stan.

Then I stanned Turning Red and now Elemental.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think you cannot rule out even Barbie beating Force Awakens. After all we are living in the barbie world. 

/s

I'm just saying but the biggest majority female demo film had pretty good legs with titanic, seems like a good lower bound for Barbie's legs. increase next weekend and 4 billy DOM seems likely

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That may be the most impressive Sun hold I have ever seen 

TDK.

TDK had capacity issues all weekend. Might have hit $170m had they been more prepared but needed to still be showing Hancock and Hellboy 🙃

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Barbie will become the biggest 2D only opening weekend of all time beating TDKR. When Catching Fire missed that it looked like we might not see any movie breaking that because everything was in 3D at the time but slowly 3D became an afterthought except for things like Avatar of course.

So there was no 3D for Barbie at all? I have been v confused on that. 

Pretty historic weekend then in another way, since these Barbenheimer #s would be entirely 3D free

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yet not the gods of modern western animation known as Moana and Encanto?? Judging you a bit… 

Hey Moana was the same year as Zootopia so it was competition

And I also really liked Encanto.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hey, I’m not responsible for a 150m+ non holiday opener staying flat on Sunday, that’s some box office fan fic nonsense. 

The frontloading stuff on Friday & Saturday is normal. Similar thing with TDK where Saturday number wasn’t great, but the Sunday & Monday numbers were awesome. Barbie is doing the same thing, which is epic!