Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

It is absolute madness when you think about it that the film of the summer gets only one week or so in IMAX and PLF. MI7 is holding on great in territories where it kept the big screens. Paramount really dropped the ball with the domestic release.

So happy to see packed cinemas across the globe. Hats off to Greta and Nolan. Both delivered big time.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

It is absolute madness when you think.about it that the film of the summer gets only one week or so in IMAX and PLF. MI7 is holding on great in territories where it kept the big screens. Paramount really dropped the ball with the domestic release.

So happy to see packed cinemas across the globe. Hats off to Greta and Nolan. Both delivered big time.

I wonder why Cruise didn't demand they move the film to say August? My guess is that everybody got drunk with the success of Maverick that they assume it would have a halo effect on MI.

55 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I'm just happy to see Barbie blow up.

A gloriously woke, transgressive, feminist production dominating the box office. It's telling that the highest grossing movies of the summer domestic don't feature traditional white male leads. Just Across the Spider-Verse, the producers shoved a lot of "woke stuff" into Barbie (again, everyone is focused on Disney while other studios are even getting MORE transgressive with their movies).

To be clear, I don't have anything against white, male leads (Oppenheimer for example is a triumph) but it puts the bed this stupid notion of "wokeness killing cinema".  This part or the world is getting increasingly diverse and folks just have to accept this. The numbers simply don't lie and I'm ready for a Hollywood that isn't afraid to present point of views that were hitherto unpopular before.

I mean, Barbie has two white leads. One of them is a white male character.

The story could be trangressive or feminist, but Barbie promo doesn't focus on that aspect. It isn't the reason why this movie is so profitable either.

• Like 2

Now I almost kinda wish that WB had pulled a Top Gun 2/Minions 2 and sat on Tenet for two years to see how it would've done in a more movie theater friendly environment even with the sort of mixed reception the movie ultimately received.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's interesting to read Sam Mendes tried to make American Prometheus into a movie back when the book was new. He also wanted to do The Prestige before Nolan got to it.

Excited for his Great Man biopic next (unless he does a movie about spies that go forward in time first idk)

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Every Nolan movie has silly elements...

I can maybe see the case for Oppenheimer, but there's nothing silly in Dunkirk at all

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Now I almost kinda wish that WB had pulled a Top Gun 2/Minions 2 and sat on Tenet for two years to see how it would've done in a more movie theater friendly environment even with the sort of mixed reception the movie ultimately received.

Movie too out there for general audiences. It was borderline unmarketable. Nolan went full Nolan there and while he scored points for trying something so different, it was just too different.

It did 300M OS when everyone was afraid of COVID. Says a lot about his draw power.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's interesting to read Sam Mendes tried to make American Prometheus into a movie back when the book was new. He also wanted to do The Prestige before Nolan got to it.

You would have thought Mendes’ influence was strong enough to get that project off the ground. It wasn’t too long after his Oscar success with American Beauty. 

I think Nolan was the one who wanted it to be release that summer. WB would have sat on it maybe not for two years but a year at least. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It is absolute madness when you think about it that the film of the summer gets only one week or so in IMAX and PLF. MI7 is holding on great in territories where it kept the big screens. Paramount really dropped the ball with the domestic release.

I wonder, what was it like during pre-pandemic years. There have been weekends like this before when big movies opened together and the holdovers were also making money. Is this only a problem now? At least in N. America?

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good point. TENET's overseas tally was sensational if you think about the circumstances and the capacity limits.