Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

40 minutes ago, mmed1345 said:

Haven’t posted on here yet this weekend but just wanted to say I can’t believe Oppenheimer really opened to $80M+. My biggest hopes were for it to reach $70M and even then I thought I was too optimistic, I didn’t expect $80M at all. For todays modern age where adult dramas are seen as only streaming worthy, Nolan’s box office draw and filmmaking made this 3hr biopic talkie about science a must see cinematic event, it’s pretty damn remarkable.

I hope Hollywood takes some good lessons from this weekends and gives us some more ambitious studio dramas that are actually marketed as must see events at the theaters. Thanks to Nolan and his IMAX/ theatrical draw we might get some life back to adult dramas after this. This movie deserves it all, definitely my favorite of the year so far! 

I don't think there will be any major lessons from it. Nolan is a rare guy and I would think the studios shrug their shoulders at the idea of trying to replicate his success.

Think about this one. Americans generally don't care about WW2 before Pearl Harbor in December 1941. The Dunkirk event was a British story from Summer 1940, yet somehow opened to $50 million in America back in 2017. That movie adjusts to a $60 million opening weekend in 2023 ticket prices. This is just Nolan's brand helping drive interest in a movie that would have very little support from theatrical audiences outside of people wanting to see what he did on the project. 

Oppenheimer had its share of big risks when we look at the massive flop that happened in 1989, with a $30 million budget and less than $4 million of total box office. However, Oppy is an American story. That's a big advantage over Dunkirk. And the nuke stuff is a bigger deal to everyone than the story of Dunkirk, if we are just getting down to brass tacks comparison. So there was definitely bigger potential in theory for the Oppy project compared to Dunkirk, even if there was a proven track record of the Oppy subject flopping hard. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Now watch all of the studios completely ignore this.

WB proceeds to greenlight Barbie 2 and 3, Ken spin off, and Allan prequels. Universal greenlights Einstein and Kennedy movies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

This weekend proves the audience want something fresh and new to see.

Now watch all of the studios completely ignore this.

Not sure about that Barbie and Mario aren't the definition of fresh and new. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, elothar said:

Not sure about that Barbie and Mario aren't the definition of fresh and new. 

They are still a fresh brand on big screen. They may not new and original but they certainly fresh to the moviegoers. 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That may be the most impressive Sun hold I have ever seen if Barbie does that, since there’s no holiday involved whatsoever.

It will be very interesting to see what studios take away from this thought. I’m not so sure they will be gung ho on reattempting the dual major new releases strategy again despite the success, when it’s 100% clear with Sunday’s number that Barbie’s OW was held back by lack of screens from the comp.  

Granted, Im sure it will make up for it in the coming weeks, but hard to say if the studio will see it that way, esp when they are so trained to look at box office as opening weekend these days. 

On the same weekend in 2008, The dark Knight was released and it dropped 9% on Sunday which I remember put the forums into an absolute tizzy LOL and then on Monday it dropped 44%. And that also made everyone lose their minds. I would imagine Monday's drop for both Barbie and Oppenheimer is going to be below 50%.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rayjulio said:

47% drop on monday is hard 

As I just mentioned in the post above, The dark Knight dropped 44% on its first Monday and it was released on the same weekend.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

As I just mentioned in the post above, The dark Knight dropped 44% on its first Monday and it was released on the same weekend.

Will be interesting. Discount Tuesday is a much bigger deal nowadays than 2008, so I wonder if some folks might prefer to wait 1 extra day to get the discounted prices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Which movies did you do the troll jobs? I remember laughing about it, especially the first time you did it and caught people off-guard. But I can't remember the movies...getting old sucks! 

I think I started with Interstellar/B6! I was relatively okay with those, but I think it was Jurassic World's Saturday that was really fucking close. I'm sure I did a few others too, but I can't remember honestly...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Will be interesting. Discount Tuesday is a much bigger deal nowadays than 2008, so I wonder if some folks might prefer to wait 1 extra day to get the discounted prices. 

You're right and of course that could play a role in August but because so much of openheimer's box office came from IMAX and plf and so on there's a ton of people who could not get into those showings to view the movie and because of that I think Mondays are going to be incredibly busy especially for the iMac showings. I'm pretty confident it's going to drop less than 50% on monday.

• Like 1

OMG these Sunday holds :ohmygod:

Obviously, weekday numbers and 2nd weekend drop will tell us much more, but 500M+ for Barbie and 300M+ for Oppenheimer seems increasingly likely.

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

You're right and of course that could play a role in August but because so much of openheimer's box office came from IMAX and plf and so on there's a ton of people who could not get into those showings to view the movie and because of that I think Mondays are going to be incredibly busy especially for the iMac showings. I'm pretty confident it's going to drop less than 50% on monday.

You're right about IMAX skewing things for Oppenheimer. I was thinking more about Barbie compared to TDK, since those two both had insane Sunday numbers above $40M. I could see Barbie having more people waiting for Discount Tuesday compared to TDK, where people said "fuck it, let's go on Monday." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Im joking by the way. Late 30s early 40s is still pretty young.

But I was 8 when Dark Knight came out so I’m a little thrown that you guys have that good of a memory of back then 

we remember it all. I was 28. We remember Batman’s OW in 1989

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2