Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

8 minutes ago, 21C said:

It'll be kinda interesting to see which sort of lessons studios learn from Barbie's success.

On the other hand, "attach great filmmakers to recognizable IPs" seems like the biggest no-brainer but like... what exactly does that translate to? What can you do to try to chase after that success.

Joseph Kosinki's Hot Wheels? Jordan Peele Barney? Luca Guadanigno's Winnie the Pooh?

I'm trying to brainstorm what'd be the result from this because in truth Barbie is such a specific IP in terms of the mass global and inter-generational appeal it has which accounts for about 90% of the film's success if the success of Super Mario is also anything to go about. 

I guess attaching great filmmakers to the franchises that they've already got going on like CBMs could be one of them too. Maybe a signal that those studios should be aiming higher with those franchises. 

I don't think 90% of the audience away to watch Barbie know who the director is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Enjoy possibly the only 3 good box office performances of the year (Mario included), because everything else could probably flop, because people now see maybe 1 or 3 movies a year on theaters. So few could massively overperform while lots on theaters could flop.  Barbie and Oppenheimer had buzz since they were annouced prepare for dissapoimtment for your faves. 

you’re right this weekend is actually a bad sign for moviegoing. idk why everyone else can’t see it

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I don't think 90% of the audience away to watch Barbie know who the director is.

But if 'Barbie' was made by a mediocre director who was just there to do a job,  it wouldn't have been the hit that it is.  I'm sure it would have made money but the fact that the movie is actually good is really important for it also.  There's a world where a Barbie movie could have been really bad. 

5 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

It's not about knowing who the director is, is about the quality that results from a good director which will probably translate into legs.

Granted, Super Mario Bros may eliminate this argument. 

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

that’s… really bizarre and as a tax payer funded service they should probably use their resources better. 😤

It's under "entertainment and arts", in the greater context of Hollywood being in trouble. It's not pushed the by-elections to the side, and they also managed to cover Tony Bennett's death.

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

that’s… really bizarre and as a tax payer funded service they should probably use their resources better. 😤

I mean its better than the part of the german media that is also tax-funded reporting about a loose lioness somewhere around Berlin. Was all over the news yesterday and today with hundreds of policemen beeing deployed to hunt the lioness down and countless wildlife experts explaining what to do when youre confronted with a wild lioness right in front of you. All of this media hype and in the end ...

Spoiler

the lioness turned out to be a boar

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

That's already happened though.   Nolan did Batman movies.  Now Reeves is doing Batman movies.  Coogler did Black Panther.  Phillips did Joker.  Denis did Dune.  

I think whenever you have a great filmmaker who is passionate about the IP and the studios leave them alone,  they usually turn out something great.  

I think the question from 'Barbie' is what super popular IP hasn't been mined yet?   Mario was another one earlier this year.  

I mean yeah but my argument is that now they'll have to do it even more. That coupled with CBMs only doing great numbers if they are great makes me think that hiring great filmmakers will/should become a bigger priority for Marvel and DC alike. 

As for the IP question... idk, Mickey Mouse? 

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I mean its better than the part of the german media that is also tax-funded reporting about a loose lioness somewhere around Berlin. Was all over the news yesterday and today with hundreds of policemen beeing deployed to hunt the lioness down and countless wildlife experts explaining what to do when youre confronted with a wild lioness right in front of you. All of this media hype and in the end ...

Hide contents

the lioness turned out to be a boar

that sounds way more interesting and important than barbenheimer!

• Haha 1

Zelda trilogy done in the vein of LotR. 3 hour epics. Christmas release.

nah it’ll probably be an Illumination movie but I can dream

edit: as far as untapped IPs go

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think the question from 'Barbie' is what super popular IP hasn't been mined yet?   Mario was another one earlier this year.  

Space Ghost! 

In all seriousness though, The Legend of Zelda, which Illumination is supposedly working on. 

Never underestimate the power of a good poster by the way. My father saw a poster  a couple of weeks ago at the mall of Oppenheimer and, without knowing anything about it, decided he needed to see it. Their main poster slaps.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

one thing to note is how young oppenheimer skewed and it still got amazing posttrak and RT. studios need to find a way to market these big dramas to younger people. there is still a market for them. for way too long they just accepted these films are only for old white people and others won't care.

• Like 2