Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Zelda trilogy done in the vein of LotR. 3 hour epics. Christmas release.

nah it’ll probably be an Illumination movie but I can dream

edit: as far as untapped IPs go

Breath of the Wild, and Tears of the Kingdom done in the vein of Arcane would be absolutely incredible.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

one thing to note is how young oppenheimer skewed and it still got amazing posttrak and RT. studios need to find a way to market these big dramas to younger people. there is still a market for them. for way too long they just accepted these films are only for old white people and others won't care.

Whatever lessons Hollywood takes from this weekend will be the wrong ones.

expectation: wow two well received movies that aren’t comic book or reboot with beloved directors and actors and unique production designs exploded at the box office? And they both look amazing despite neither costing $200m? We should take this kinds of risks more often!

reality: lol go see saw patrol

• Disbelief 1

49 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Thank god Baumbach cheated on his wife with Gerwig. Otherwise this weekend wouldn’t have happened.

Or Marriage Story: love how Baumbach made the self-insert Adam Driver character have to direct terrible plays for quick money, the horror! IRL he co-wrote the Madagascar 2 screenplay that year he separated from Jennifer Jason Leigh. LOL, I guess directors have to switch up these thinly veiled versions of their lives a little bit...

For me, the bigger "What if?" Is with Gerwig: what if that 'How I Met Your Dad' pilot had been picked up in 2014? Imagine no Lady Bird or Little Women or Barbie now, because Greta was just finishing up Season 8 as the star of a CBS sitcom. Maybe it would have flopped, but that network is full of shows that hang on forever...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Barbie's OW will push Wonder Woman out of WB's top ten OWs of all time. 

It's interesting looking at WB's all time list and it's mostly franchises like DC, Harry Potter, LOTR/Hobbit etc but there's a few one off big hits like Inception, Gravity and now Barbie. 

10 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

one thing to note is how young oppenheimer skewed and it still got amazing posttrak and RT. studios need to find a way to market these big dramas to younger people. there is still a market for them. for way too long they just accepted these films are only for old white people and others won't care.

Well the problem is that the main marketing draw in this case was: Nolan.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Whatever lessons Hollywood takes from this weekend will be the wrong ones.

expectation: wow two well received movies that aren’t comic book or reboot with beloved directors and actors and unique production designs exploded at the box office? And they both look amazing despite neither costing $200m? We should take this kinds of risks more often!

reality: lol go see saw patrol

Oppenheimer cost 180 million. Also I do think people are highly overstimating how much of a risk Barbie actually was. It's one of the most popular IPs in the world and the film purposefully tried to recreate the look of that IP was faithfully as possible, it was never actually risky. 

There are lessons to be learned from both Mario Bros and Barbie ending up as the highest grossing films of the year... they just aren't the lessons Film Twitter will like.

1 hour ago, Day and Date The Best said:

They did not even perform prepandemic for how overly hyped those movies were. Pre pandemic hyped comic book movies made a billion. Guardians should have been a billion, not less than Vol. 2

Take China away from both volumes and 3 made 50m more than 2. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blankments said:

hmm makes u think

Where were these people when D&D came out ? There are lot of good original movies where people barely turnout. Also Barbie is a well known IP and is a vastly popular brand and Nolan is like the most popular director with under 40 crowd. Let's see if people turnout for other good original movies instead of this just 1 weekend. We can't come to any conclusions just based on this single weekend.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Or Marriage Story: love how Baumbach made the self-insert Adam Driver character have to direct terrible plays for quick money, the horror! IRL he co-wrote the Madagascar 2 screenplay that year he separated from Jennifer Jason Leigh. LOL, I guess directors have to switch up these thinly veiled versions of their lives a little bit...

For me, the bigger "What if?" Is with Gerwig: what if that 'How I Met Your Dad' pilot had been picked up in 2014? Imagine no Lady Bird or Little Women or Barbie now, because Greta was just finishing up Season 8 as the star of a CBS sitcom. Maybe it would have flopped, but that network is full of shows that hang on forever...

The pilot episode was leaked on Archive.org last year and it's pretty much standard sitcom pilot stuff. I had forgot that Meg Ryan was the voice of future Greta Gerwig. I'm guessing the huge negative reaction to the himym ending caused CBS to take a break from that franchise for a bit. When How I Met Your Father actually happened last year, no one cared anymore. 

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Hollywood marketing campaigns really never hit like this, probably specifically because it isn't marketing, just a meme people thought was funny.

It's pretty similar to the Minions suit phenomenon from last year tbh

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

Oppenheimer cost 180 million. Also I do think people are highly overstimating how much of a risk Barbie actually was. It's one of the most popular IPs in the world and the film purposefully tried to recreate the look of that IP was faithfully as possible, it was never actually risky. 

There are lessons to be learned from both Mario Bros and Barbie ending up as the highest grossing films of the year... they just aren't the lessons Film Twitter will like.

It did not. It cost 100 million.

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

Oppenheimer cost 100m not 180m. Nolan doesn't let budgets balloon like that.

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

It did not. It cost 100 million.

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Oppenheimer cost 100m not 180m. Nolan doesn't let budgets balloon like that.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

No, 100 million.

Edited by 21C

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

hmm makes u think

"Original films" lol. I'm all for hyping these movies but very confused why some keep insisting this is the most excited audiences have been about going to the movies when billion dollar movies are still happening. JWD, Top Gun, Mario, NWH, Avatar, even spider-verse are all less than two years old and were already proof that audiences are excited about going to the movies. No need to oversell.  

• Knock It Off 1