upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

He truly is a predictable piece of shit, isn't he?

PS: Next time just put the link of the page directly without a twitter link, no need to give that jerk more money

Threads just updated on IOS with a chronological user following and translation of posts btw; now it just needs trending topics with hashtags and real time search to fully take over. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

50 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Elon Musk has mocked Barbie for whatever and Oppenheimer for being boring and also agreed with OpenAI (ChatGPT) CEO Sam Altman that the film is not inspirational for physicists (way to get the wrong lesson from the movie tech bros).

so this is all Streisand Effect for both movies

No worries, he's making sure there's plenty of exciting material for Fincher's sequel, The Social NetworX. Never a dull moment in that one.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

No worries, he's making sure there's plenty of exciting material for Fincher's sequel, The Social NetworX. Never a dull moment in that one.

Oooh yeah, I loved how in that same tweet the OpenAI fellow highlighted The Social Network as an inspirational film for tech bros. Because watching that film the first thing that comes to my mind at the end of it is "Yeah, I want to be like Mark Zuckerberg".

No wonder we're screwed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Celedhring said:

Oooh yeah, I loved how in that same tweet the OpenAI fellow highlighted The Social Network as an inspirational film for tech bros. Because watching that film the first thing that comes to my mind at the end of it is "Yeah, I want to be like Mark Zuckerberg".

No wonder we're screwed.

I mean, he missed the point of both movies, cause of course he did. Why can't billionaires just run the world from the shadows, without putting their shit out there for all of us to see? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean, he missed the point of both movies, cause of course he did. Why can't billionaires just run the world from the shadows, without putting their shit out there for all of us to see? 

He(Elon) love attention.a bit narcisstic.

19 minutes ago, YM! said:

Missed the talk of most impressive blockbuster runs since the 2010s boom, but if I had to make a line up, it’d be:

1. Black Panther
  2. Barbie
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. Frozen 
  5. Top Gun Maverick 
  6. American Sniper 
  7. Avengers
  8. Joker
  9. The Force Awakens
  10. Jurassic World

There’s no particular order for all but each has their own benefits:

1. Black Panther may have had the benefit of Phase 3 hype taking the zeitgeist but it’s very very very hard for predominantly Black films to succeed and yes we did predict big things for it from the jump (actually same for a number of movies on my list). TLM barely did over 550m WW, and this doubled it, due to being a great movie and hitting a cultural zeitgeist. Sure WF fell off but one can argue with the passing of Chadwick, what happened there was a best case scenario and it still had good reception.
  2. Barbie also had the benefit of being perhaps the most popular toy on Earth but everything went perfect from marketing to casting to hype, and served an underserved market in women. It then blew up straight out of the gates to being the biggest film of the summer and likely the year, especially as there’s no competition (also it’s kind of putting to bed the argument of “woke=broke”)
  3. Frozen is still one of the biggest original concept movie even though it’s based on a fairytale and became Disney’s biggest animation franchise overnight and bought back female led animation and musicals.
  4. Oppenheimer is a three hour, dour and depressing, well-told R rated drama in a time where audiences just want dopamine. With Nolan and another strong event marketing campaign, it’ll be his biggest non-Dark Knight or TDKR movie, at 300m domestic and 700-800m worldwide.
  5. Top Gun Maverick had nostalgia (which can be hit and miss) but it too gave older whites something to go crazy for as well as being a great movie, and became a juggernaut.
  6. American Sniper is of the same cloth as TGM but was more fresh at the time.
  7. TFA and JW perfected the nostalgic requel for better or worse and the GA loved both, creating leggy runs out of nowhere.
  8. Avengers also did something new with crossover and created perhaps one of the most popular film franchises in history as expectations rose and rose.
  9. Joker made an R-rated drama about the most popular supervillain with little action sequences and also blew up.
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Threads just updated on IOS with a chronological user following and translation of posts btw; now it just needs trending topics with hashtags and real time search to fully take over. 

Threads has lost like 70% of its user engagement over the last week and a half. It is boring as hell.

• Like 2

It's been a while so I can't quite recall, but when did people start noticing that the incredible viral marketing of Deadpool was going to pay off immensely?

Because I'm pretty sure that at first the whole conversation about Deadpool was how that shit was going to bomb real hard because there was no way a hard-R rated superhero would fly with the GA, right?

I think Deadpool is the most incredible marketing campaign completely orchestrated by a studio I've ever seen, it completely turned opinions around.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hasanahmad said:

Elon Musk has mocked Barbie for whatever and Oppenheimer for being boring and also agreed with OpenAI (ChatGPT) CEO Sam Altman that the film is not inspirational for physicists (way to get the wrong lesson from the movie tech bros).

That is not at all the Streisand effect. The movies were both blockbusters before their opinions were shared. 

Just now, Chaz said:

Threads has lost like 70% of its user engagement over the last week and a half. It is boring as hell.

Isn't there also a privacy worry regarding it? As in, Meta wants to know everything you do with your phone once you sign up on it?

• Like 1

Just now, Chaz said:

It’s a matter of time for Threads to take over. Yes it’s Zuck over Musk but only them would have the kind of money to pull this off.. Twitter is dead, and Musk and his X that he doesn’t even own the rights to is slowly burning themselves to the ground. Brands are already there and people that actually made Twitter cool and an important part of the public’s conversation is already there. It’s a matter of time, not if.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasanahmad said:

Did he know that twitter is one of the "culprit" creating Barbieheimer? 

Also, Oppenheimer may not be inspirational for physicists but it is great tribute or shoutout to science community. It is their avengers moment. Way too long our cinema have been feeding fanboys fantasy that got little-to-none social relevancy. Nolan has the ball to make a movie about a bunch of underappreciated real hero who actually make a lasting impact to our world and our way of life. 

38 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Maybe it's just me, but declaring Barbie to have one of the most impressive runs after only 4 days, seems a bit premature lol

Is it one of the most impressive openings?  Hell fucking yeah!

True feminism at work. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I have a question. Why are ALL Monday holds better this week than last week?

Two Mondays ago there was no new competition. Last Monday movies were impacted by MI7, this Monday movies are impacted by Barbenheimer. Going from no competition -> decent competition produces a bigger drop than going from decent competition -> massive competition, though not by much.

30 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah, unfortunately the chronological following feed doesn’t really work (you have to force quit and restart the app to get it to refresh and even then it only loads a few minutes of posts). But…baby steps, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Yeah, unfortunately the chronological following feed doesn’t really work (you have to force quit and restart the app to get it to refresh and even then it only loads a few minutes of posts). But…baby steps, I suppose.

It’s working flawlessly on my end. iPad Pro 5th Gen, iOS 16.5 here. Weird.  But yeah, it’s still very bare bones yet. A lot of features are still needed, but once that gets trending and real time search it’s the moment that X becomes a glorified ‘Truth’ Social.

• Like 1