upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

No I know nothing, I'm a dummy.

But if Jordan Peele can be considered a draw after Get Out, I'm not sure why Greta can't be after Barbie. Cashing in on your new found success matters, I do agree, so we'll see what she does. Like Nolan does Inception after his big breakout hit, Peele does Us. What Gerwig does next can cement her place but the foundation is all there because WB did tie a lot of promotion around her name, and that will matter.

Jordan Peele is definitely a good comparison. I didn't really think he was 100% a draw after get out. I think that when Us had the ridiculously huge opening weekend, that solidified him as a draw. I also think it helps that he won an Oscar for best original screenplay. I think we're kind of on the same page. I just want to see what she does next and what kind of box office that film ends up making.

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

With a 21 million Thursday I don't know what kind of miniscule increases deadline is expecting for Barbie to do in order for it to only hit 70 million. It would have to do something like 25 mil Friday, a flat Saturday and then a 20 million dollar sunday. I mean it's next to impossible.

Over the last few days I've been in awe at some of the really strange comments here about putting Greta Gerwig in the same sentence as Jordan Peele James Cameron and Quentin Tarantino and nolan.

I don't think the general public is paying attention to who directed The movie. Generally speaking the general public doesn't know anything about directors. She had a few small hits before this movie but Barbie doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be catapulted into the elite of the elite. I think you guys need to pump the brakes on that just a little bit LOL.

Quick, tell me who directed Spider-Man no way home. That movie grossed nearly 2 billion dollars and I don't think anybody at least the general public has no idea who John Watts is and his career certainly never catapulted after that movie. You can go back in history and look at all kinds of directors that made big films that didn't really go on to become a household name. I just think some of you guys are getting a little bit carried away at the prospect of her now being able to do whatever the hell she wants to do.

QUALITY wise she is THERE. Box office wise she is growing. Her directorial debut lady bird made 79 million on a 10 million budget, then little women 218. 9 on a 40 million budget, then Barbie. Lets compare with Nolan

Nolan

Following 48,000 dollars on a 7722 budget. 

Memento 40 million dollars on a 5 to 9 million budget. 

Insomnia (Big Studio debut, Warner Bros debut, studio that released or contributed to every above 40 min movie with his directorial credit, until oppenheimer). 114 million on a 46 million budget. 

Batman Begins, 373.7 million on a 150 million budget, was it profitable?. Yet WB greenlighted the sequell.

The Prestige, 109.7 million on a 40 million budget. 

The Dark Knight 1.006 billion on a 185 million budget. 

Inception 836.8 on a 160 million budget. 

The Dark Knight Rises 1.081 billion on a 230 million budget. 

Interstellar 773.8 million on a 165 million budget. 

Dunkirk 527 million  on a max 150 million budget. 

Tenet 365 million on a 205 million budget, (pandemic). 

Oppenheimer TBA.

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Greta Gerwig delivered

- A24 their biggest hit at that point in time (a quiet coming of age indie at that)

- A 100m+ DOM hit out of yet another Little Women adaptation.

- And now Barbie

She has had nothing but overperforming hits for her early domestic career. All of these were movies too that weren’t necessarily going to sell themselves (no matter who directed), and did not have stars that sold themselves.

She may not have bought herself a Nolan sized pull yet, but it’d be obtuse to think she’s not at least in some touch with what a certain slice audiences want (also audiences that have historically been underserved bigger tentpole level content because of the male dominance in Hollywood exec).

I do agree with you there. She has a voice and she resonates with women especially. And you touched on it in your post as well, some of the names being mentioned here with the exception of Jordan Peele are the Elite of the elite. Cameron, Tarantino and nolan. I'm just saying let's wait and see what she follows up Barbie with and we'll have a better understanding.

On 7/26/2023 at 10:34 PM, M37 said:

$93.73

$51.37

Fwiw, my daily estimates that got me to these totals were roughly:

Barbie = $21M // $28M (+33%) / $36M (+29%) / $30M (-17%)

Very similar to Crawdads, but slightly lower Fri bump

Oppy = $10M // $15M (+50%) / $20.5M (+37%) / $16.5M (-20%)

An amalgamation of several comps

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

But if Jordan Peele can be considered a draw after Get Out, I'm not sure why Greta can't be after Barbie. Cashing in on your new found success matters, I do agree, so we'll see what she does. Like Nolan does Inception after his big breakout hit, Peele does Us. What Gerwig does next can cement her place but the foundation is all there because WB did tie a lot of promotion around her name, and that will matter.

The one difference here is that Peele already had some decent name ID before his breakout hit as a director, though Barbie is on a larger scale

"From the writer/director of Barbie ..." will absolutely carry some weight, but probably takes one more hit before the name Greta Gerwig itself does most of the heavy lifting, like we see with Nolan

2 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

People are seeing this movie because its Barbie, not because its a Greta Gerwig movie.

This is thit,Barbie is global iconic name,Greta Gerwig,I doubt 0.01% of global population know who this person is

Edited by Sophia Jane

Whatever gerwig will make next, original or Narnia will definitely be an event. 

She's absolutely at Jordan peele level or recognisability now.

For a director like peel Is just easier to build what can be a "cult following" on movie geeks cause he makes this kind horrors - thrillers build to became things like that. But with this genre as It's easier to became recognisable can became also  more difficult  to stand out in the long term (every movie after get out definitely had less impact than the one before). 

Edited by vale9001

I might be more excited to see Oppenheimer a second time (this weekend) than I was the first time.

Wonder which of these movies will get more repeat viewings, I can see both of them having a dedicated fanbase.

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

People are seeing this movie because its Barbie, not because its a Greta Gerwig movie.

No one is arguing that. People also watched the Dark Knight because it was Batman and Joker not because it was a Christopher Nolan.

I think people mostly talking about future potential here, now that she had her huge mega hit with her name front and centre.

• Like 4

I'm sure this has been mentioned before somewhere in the thread but if Barbie was to follow the dark Knight it would gross 95 million dollars this weekend. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I have no idea what deadline is thinking with their 70 million projection. 😒

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

QUALITY wise she is THERE. Box office wise she is growing. Her directorial debut lady bird made 79 million on a 10 million budget, then little women 218. 9 on a 40 million budget, then Barbie. Lets compare with Nolan

Nolan

Following 48,000 dollars on a 7722 budget. 

Memento 40 million dollars on a 5 to 9 million budget. 

Insomnia (Big Studio debut, Warner Bros debut, studio that released or contributed to every movie of his, until oppenheimer). 114 million on a 46 million budget. 

Batman Begins, 373.7 million on a 150 million budget, was it profitable?. Yet WB greenlighted the sequell.

The Prestige, 109.7 million on a 40 million budget. 

The Dark Knight 1.006 billion on a 185 million budget. 

Inception 836.8 on a 160 million budget. 

The Dark Knight Rises 1.081 billion on a 230 million budget. 

Interstellar 773.8 million on a 165 million budget. 

Dunkirk 527 million  on a max 150 million budget. 

Tenet 365 million on a 205 million budget, (pandemic). 

Oppenheimer TBA.

Dunkirk budget was $100M at most. His wife said it was $80M, but I wonder if she wasn’t including Nolan’s $20M base salary on the project. 

Amy Schumer’s Barbie would have clearly also raked in boatloads of cash because of Barbie’s iconic brand name…

Get real. Gerwig (and Robbie) made Barbie: The Movie as huge as it is. The brand certainly had the reach *potential* sure, but people are seeing Barbie because it’s a Gerwig and Robbie Barbie movie. Don’t get it twisted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before somewhere in the thread but if Barbie was to follow the dark Knight it would gross 95 million dollars this weekend. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I have no idea what deadline is thinking with their 70 million projection. 😒

Similar deal with Oppie. Nolan has 4 movies from this release date in the past. TDK had the worst jumps of the group, with a 2nd weekend that was 4.57x above Thursday. Best one was Dunkirk at 5.1x above Thursday. So how the hell does a $10M Thursday turn into a $35M weekend? Awful projections from Deadline on both movies. 

• Like 2