upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Same reason why Lion King 2019 made so much money: If the predecessor or original is one of the most beloved movies of all time, audiences will storm the sequels doors, even if the film itself is mediocre (Incredibles 2) or even trash (Lion King 2019)

yeah or Finding Dory. does anyone even remember that one (well save for me ha ha since I mentioned it) and it made over 1B? People still only talk about Finding Nemo.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Would anyone be surprised if, looking at the schedule for the next month, if Barbie was #1 until Labor Day? I wouldn't at all at this point.

But how is that possible with summer juggernaut THE MEG 2 coming out next week?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

A lot of the crowd aren’t paying for the tickets themselves, they are using pay it forward funds. So they don’t worry about getting a discounted ticket or not. That also accounts for some of the weaker Tuesday jump.

That's not entirely true though you know that less than 10% of the overall gross is from pay it forward.

I can see already how the trailer of Disney Snow white will be

- from the screenwriter Greta Gerwig

- from the mind of Greta Gerwig

- did we already say Greta Gerwig is involved in this?.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I don't foresee see $100M+ for Barbie.

If it follows The Dark Knight from here, it will hit $94.1M for the weekend (which is already an incredible -41.9% drop). That, for me, is kinda best-case-scenario-ish, since I can imagine a bit of a softer Friday jump (+35%) for Barbie.

Day

Barbie

The Dark Knight

FRI

70.5M

67.2M

SAT

47.8M (-32.2%)

47.7M (-29.1%)

SUN

43.7M (-8.6%)

43.6M (-8.5%)

MON

26.1M (-40.3%)

24.4M (-43.8%)

TUE

26.0M (-0.4%)

20.9M (-14.8%)

WED

23.0M (-11.5%)

18.4M (-11.9%)

THU

20.6M (-10.4%)*

16.5M (-10.4%)

FRI

29.1M (+41.1%)*

23.2M (+41.1%)

SAT

35.4M (+21.7%)*

28.3M (+21.7%)

SUN

29.6M (-16.3%)*

23.7M (-16.3%)

WKD #2 TOTAL:

94.1M (-41.9%)

*If follows TDK

For now, I'm thinking 90M give or take. That said, I hope I'm wrong (I often am 😅). Definitely would love to see a weekend over Mario's 2nd weekend of 92.35M. And $100M+ would be mind-blowing...

Peace,

Mike

Mike, it's always good seeing you here buddy.

Incredibles 2 have an A+ on CinemaScore and absolutely stellar grades everywhere that matters 

Finding 3948484 reasons of why it was so big instead of just see it was greatly received is funny. You can dislike it, but there’s pretty much no evidence this is a collective feeling.

• Like 11
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

With the strike bound to have a ripple effect across the schedule for the next year I could totally see them going for July in hopes of repeating Barbiemania. Or maybe moving to the Aladdin/Cruella/Little Mermaid spot of Memorial Day weekend and let it play throughout the summer.

• Like 1

I don't know if any of my fellow Canadian posters watch The amazing race Canada but they had a really neat tie in last night with Disney's haunted mansion. The contestants had to go to some kind of haunted looking mansion somewhere in British Columbia and they watched the trailer for haunted mansion and then Tiffany haddish came on and told them that they had to go into the haunted house or the haunted mansion and find 10 different items that were featured in the trailer. I got to be honest with you, it worked for me. I really had no interest in seeing the movie but now I kind of do LOL it was a nice little marketing push that was obviously set up months if not an entire year in advance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yes cause their other alternative is "Starring that girl who tanked WSS and Shazam 2 and then threw a twitter tantrum". 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 4