upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

As a 3 hour movie, you would think a lot of people might wait to see it on the weekend instead of weekdays. But TDKR was also nearly 3 hours and ended up with 4.7x on the 2nd weekend compared to Thursday. 

Let’s say Empire is a bit low on this early number and Oppy ends up at $9.8M for Thursday. TDKR’s 4.7x multiplier would give Oppy a $46M weekend. Pretty damn good!

TDKR also burned off like, twice as much demand as Oppenheimer did and basically had a ton of screens to itself for the first couple weeks. The situation feels completely different here, and we're not even getting to reception or say the Olympics. Just saying, 50m still seems very much plausible to me.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Not a game. Just looking at data on Nolan’s previous numbers. With a $9.5M Thursday, it looks like this:

TDK   (4.568x):   $43.4M weekend

TDKR (4.704x):   $44.7M weekend

INCEP  (4.99x):    $47.4M weekend

DUNK (5.124x):   $48.7M weekend

Needs at least $10M for Thursday to have a shot at $50M on the weekend, but that is only following Inception & Dunkirk type of performance. A $10M Thursday would be $45-47M weekend with TDK or TDKR performance. 

Yeah, but Oppy already has a different  behaviour than Dunkirk.

And, as I understand BO pattern in 2010 and now a little bit (and sometimes a lot) different (again), if we're talking about Inception.

So I'm not sure if we can take previous Nolan's movies as example.

P.S. just to be clear: i can believe in 45-47 mln weekend but I also think there's a very good chance for 50+ mln result.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Just now, MrPink said:

TDKR also burned off like, twice as much demand as Oppenheimer did and basically had a ton of screens to itself for the first couple weeks. The situation feels completely different here, and we're not even getting to reception. Just saying, 50m still seems very much plausible to me.

TDKR definitely had a much better screen count to help meet demand. 

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

What's funny is those BoxOffice predictions of $88 mil and $50 mil would've both been really good numbers for their respective opening weekends.

Those were indeed within the range of the early predictions.

• Like 2

I think Oppy can do $50m. The comps to Nolan’s other films are important, but I think one factor that might give it a boost compared to them is films like Oppenheimer generally have much better Friday/Saturday boosts. 3 hours, more limited screens, R-rating (though that last one is the least of the factors imo)

Wouldn’t be surprised if it has a decently better Friday (or at least Saturday) jump than Inception or other Nolan outings. 

Either way it’s all gravy at this point. Even with the Nolan name, on paper this seemed like $60m opening at best. The second weekend predictions are basically what every outlet had its opening weekend doing a few weeks back.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I think Oppy can do $50m. The comps to Nolan’s other films are important, but I think one factor that might give it a boost compared to them is films like Oppenheimer generally have much better Friday/Saturday boosts. 3 hours, more limited screens, R-rating (though that last one is the least of the factors imo)

Wouldn’t be surprised if it has a decently better Friday (or at least Saturday) jump than Inception or other Nolan outings. 

Either way it’s all gravy at this point. Even with the Nolan name, on paper this seemed like $60m opening at best. The second weekend predictions are basically what every outlet had its opening weekend doing a few weeks back.

Hell, that Quroum tracking data just a couple days before release said there was a decent chance the movie would open below $40M. The fact it’s locked to make above $40M on the 2nd weekend is awesome. 

TDKR is a terrible comp for Oppy. I am confident Oppy will hit 50m this weekend. its a 3 hour movie targeting older adults who will come in over the weekend. It has sufficient show times for 50m as its not that far off last weekened. Plus it has sold out most of the imax shows over the weekend in big markets/big screens. 

• Like 6

Barbie:

20.7M (-10%)

26.9M (+30%)

37.7M (+40%)

30.2M (-20%)

94.8M Weekend, 42% drop

We'll see how big the Fri/Sat increases end up being, but even with some weekday frontloading, a low to mid 40s drop with Dolby losses is fantastic for something this scale.

Oppenheimer:

10.4M (-3%)

15.6M (+50%)

23.4M (+50%)

17.5M (-25%)

56.5M Weekend, 32% drop

Even if Oppenheimer's Friday is only a 30-40% increase, it's still looking at a 42-43% drop at worst. I don't see how the weekend would fall below 48M without a disappointing Friday (+10-20%) or Saturday (+20-30%).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Barbie:

20.7M (-10%)

26.9M (+30%)

37.7M (+40%)

30.2M (-20%)

94.8M Weekend, 42% drop

We'll see how big the Fri/Sat increases end up being, but even with some weekday frontloading, a low to mid 40s drop with Dolby losses is fantastic for something this scale.

Oppenheimer:

10.4M (-3%)

15.6M (+50%)

23.4M (+50%)

17.5M (-25%)

56.5M Weekend, 32% drop

Even if Oppenheimer's Friday is only a 30-40% increase, it's still looking at a 42-43% drop at worst. I don't see how the weekend would fall below 48M without a disappointing Friday (+10-20%) or Saturday (+20-30%).

Those are some hefty Saturday jumps, though I think your Friday’s for both might be low

• Like 1

Did you guys not read what he said about Barbie and then openheimer? For Barb he said good luck figuring out a number but he'll be conservative and go with I think it was 20 million and then for Oppenheimer he said it's a super early number. This is all extrapolation and guesses right now. When he posted that number it was like 2:00 p.m. eastern time. It could go up it could go down it could be bang on but he certainly not saying that that's going to be the number 100%.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Gitesh might not actually be that far off if Fri/Sat jumps are on the softer side. Not impossible especially as Barbie has been stronger than expected on weekdays. Could see the effects of that on the weekend. 

That’s what happened with TDK. Huge spillover into massive weekdays. 2nd weekend showed signs of losing steam. But that’s a superhero movie. Barbie might be able to overcome that type of frontloading. 

• Like 1