Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

On 7/18/2023 at 12:09 AM, abracadabra1998 said:

Twin Cities Previews:

Don't like how I keep missing my 4 PM Central mark, but traveling makes it harder to stay on track. These numbers are two hours later than usual.

Oppenheimer (T-3):

Day: T-3 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 18 theaters 61 604 3285 10364 31.7

Comps:

1.53x Mission Impossible 7 (total)- $13.78 Million

2.27x Indiana Jones- $16.38 Million

Barbie (T-3):

Day: T-3, T-2 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Thursday: 19 theaters 109 1153 5102 17351 29.4
Wednesday EA: 6 theaters 6 34 1165 1221 95.41
TOTALS: 115 1187 6267 18572 33.74

Comps:

2.92x Mission Impossible 7 (total)- $26.28 Million

1.91x Oppenheimer

Just Thursday--> 6.63x Don't Worry Darling- $20.57 Million

Good day for both, no signs of slowing down here.

Twin Cities Previews:

Oppenheimer (T-2):

Day: T-2 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 19 theaters 76 555 3840 11957 32.12

Comps:

1.52x Mission Impossible 7 (total)- $13.67 Million

2.24x Indiana Jones- $16.15 Million

Tiny drops versus both comps, good holds since it was already overperforming.

Barbie (T-2):

Day: T-2, T-1 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Thursday: 19 theaters 158 1013 6115 21306 28.7
Wednesday EA: 6 theaters 6 16 1181 1221 96.72
TOTALS: 164 1029 7296 22527 32.39

Comps:

2.89x Mission Impossible 7 (total)- $25.97 Million

1.9x Oppenheimer

Just Thursday--> 6.41x Don't Worry Darling- $19.88 Million

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

On 7/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, abracadabra1998 said:

Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Previews:

(Pulled these numbers last night but wasn't able to post them)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (T-18):

Day: T-18, T-17, T-15 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Tuesday: 15 theaters 87 72 72 13080 0.55
Monday EA: 6 theaters 6 98 98 1190 8.24
Saturday EA: 5 theaters 5 56 56 603 9.29
TOTALS: 98 226 226 14873 1.52

Comp:

1.81x Haunted Mansion

Pleasantly surprised at how many shows are available, even with a few of the theaters I usually count missing showtimes still.

Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Previews:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (T-14):

Day: T-14, T-13, T-11 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Tuesday: 16 theaters 93 45 117 14775 0.79
Monday EA: 7 theaters 7 47 145 1580 9.18
Saturday EA: 5 theaters 5 20 76 603 12.6
TOTALS: 105 112 338 16958 1.99

Comp:

2.11x Haunted Mansion

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Curious question.

I noticed a lot of people complaining in my city about not being able to get seats for Oppenheimer. Well at least the normal seats that won't impair your viewing experience. I don't think this was such a big problem with his other movies. Why is that? I mean I remember seeing the screen numbers in this thread, and it's pretty decent typical Nolan numbers, albeit not as many as Barbie. Is Barbenheimer eating away at Oppenheimer's screen allocation?

19 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Curious question.

I noticed a lot of people complaining in my city about not being able to get seats for Oppenheimer. Well at least the normal seats that won't impair your viewing experience. I don't think this was such a big problem with his other movies. Why is that? I mean I remember seeing the screen numbers in this thread, and it's pretty decent typical Nolan numbers, albeit not as many as Barbie. Is Barbenheimer eating away at Oppenheimer's screen allocation?

M37’s breakdown earlier in the thread sums it up better than me, but basically Barbie taking away lots of auditoriums, plus holdovers like SOF, MI7, Indy etc., getting one each. means Oppy gets basically IMAX/PLF (not even all PLF, Barbie is getting a lot of Dolby for example) then one other auditorium. Because of the runtime, that’s not a lot of screenings.

If you wanna see that illustrated, look at the previews I’n tracking in MSP. while Barbie previews start earlier, it’s still at a whopping more than double the number of shows that Oppy has

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

M37’s breakdown earlier in the thread sums it up better than me, but basically Barbie taking away lots of auditoriums, plus holdovers like SOF, MI7, Indy etc., getting one each. means Oppy gets basically IMAX/PLF (not even all PLF, Barbie is getting a lot of Dolby for example) then one other auditorium. Because of the runtime, that’s not a lot of screenings.

If you wanna see that illustrated, look at the previews I’n tracking in MSP. while Barbie previews start earlier, it’s still at a whopping more than double the number of shows that Oppy has

A lot of theatres are booked for the entire three weeks exclusivity period unless you want to be in the front row or outside corners. I wonder what the arrange for IMAX is after the three weeks. Gran Turismo? But they could keep some for Oppenheimer right? Wonder if this will help with Oppenheimer's legs.

57 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Curious question.

Oppenheimer is definitely getting screwed on the screen count in comparison with Nolan's earlier movies. We'll see if people are patient enough to wait and see the movie in later weeks, or if they just give up and wait for home video (or don't bother at all, lol). 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Oppenheimer is definitely getting screwed on the screen count in comparison with Nolan's earlier movies. We'll see if people are patient enough to wait and see the movie in later weeks, or if they just give up and wait for home video (or don't bother at all, lol). 

They are definitely patient looking at how strong presales at big plexes are. I am not even getting reasonable seat at Metreon even for next Sunday :-(. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Judging from what I have seen, people are at least patient enough to constantly refresh the site for cancelled seats. That's more dedicated than a 15 year fan like me lol

15 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

A lot of theatres are booked for the entire three weeks exclusivity period unless you want to be in the front row or outside corners. I wonder what the arrange for IMAX is after the three weeks. Gran Turismo? But they could keep some for Oppenheimer right? Wonder if this will help with Oppenheimer's legs.

Lincoln Sq is keeping it when GT opens as well. This is 1030AM in its 4th sunday :-)

i14B9s.jpg

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 6

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

They are definitely patient looking at how strong presales at big plexes are. I am not even getting reasonable seat at Metreon even for next Sunday :-(. 

Metreon IMAX is a very special screen with an audience that knows it's a very special screen. It's one of the 2 or 3 biggest IMAX screens in America. One of the very few that are above 75 feet tall. I would expect it to be sold out for weeks.

My other post was more about the treatment of this movie on regular screens at regular theaters. It's getting squeezed onto very small screens/auditoriums with very few showings. When those small screens sell out, how many of the people will bother to come back for other shows in future days/weeks...and how many of them will give up or just wait for home video? 

• Like 1

Please chime in if I am misreading the pre-sales numbers, but it sure looks like Barbie will have a monstrous true Friday but a noticeable decline on Saturday. Whereas Oppenheimer has a chance for Saturday to outgross its true Friday or only decline by a scant amount. Definitely looks like we're in for the biggest opening duo we've had in many years.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Metreon actually added 3PM show on thursday recently and it immediately sold out. I think demand for Imax 70mm could last a while. BFI is also showing the same in UK. 

As it should be. Giant 70mm IMAX is a very special format and Nolan's team worked hard to put together a movie that actually uses this format in a way that 99.9% of movies don't use it. It's just sad that IMAX hasn't been more dedicated to the format over the last 15 years, instead pushing a watered down version of IMAX with lower quality projection and much smaller screens in the wrong aspect ratio.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Metreon IMAX is a very special screen with an audience that knows it's a very special screen. It's one of the 2 or 3 biggest IMAX screens in America. One of the very few that are above 75 feet tall. I would expect it to be sold out for weeks.

My other post was more about the treatment of this movie on regular screens at regular theaters. It's getting squeezed onto very small screens/auditoriums with very few showings. When those small screens sell out, how many of the people will bother to come back for other shows in future days/weeks...and how many of them will give up or just wait for home video? 

Even digital sales are quite strong now. All prime time shows are 60%+ full at big plexes. its presales is not just strong for previews. Its crazy strong through the weekend. My Sunday check yesterday afternoon had it slightly below Barbie on ticket numbers but still up on $ value. That is insane considering how much crazy the Barbie buzz is. So I expect it to play very strong for weeks especially with the reception being so strong and its ensemble will pull in audience who otherwise might not be amenable to seeing a 3 hour drama on big screen. 

Anyway I dont want to make this a discussion thread on Oppy. Anything further let us take it in its own thread. 

FYI Barbie show count has increased dramatically. There is no reason for it to miss the biggest 3 day weekend this year.  Oppy friday show count is > 2x thursday and so it should have great IM for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZackM said:

Oppenheimer Friday and Saturday

Friday
Theaters - 425
Showings - 3,253
Sold - 148,221
Total - 597,488
ATP - $17.01

Saturday
Theaters - 425
Showings - 3,220
Sold - 145,688
Total - 595,163
ATP - $16.34

THU comp with Dune is reasonable $9M ish. FRI is $29M!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2