Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Ferrari is dropping on Christmas Day, but seems to have Sunday night previews on Christmas Eve. Seems like an odd choice, is there any other movie that has done this. Also gives it an 8-day long opening frame (Sun-Sun).

Anyways, it seems to have more buzz and interest among adults than Neon's other titles so I could see it putting up decent numbers.

The Boys in the Boat is officially starting on Christmas Eve as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I can see that with Wish, but off the top of my head the other Tuesday openers are Napoleon and MI7 and those had a lot of PLFs

Well, to be fair, PLFs are starting to catch up, at least locally.

I think the bigger problem is that TCP is proving to be faaaaaaaaaar more frontloaded than Tuesday Only MI7 sales. Makes T-10 comps wonky.

Either way, probably better as a comp gauge at the T-2/T-1/T-0 stage when sales pattern differences should start to flatten out.  Was more raising it for people to think about using it then than using it now as outside of SMB we haven't had an All Day opener with this strong of a pre-sales sales start recently.

• Like 1

Because I could't help myself after the idea was thrown out here:

The Color Purple at T-11 in Minneapolis: 1492/7831 (19.05%) vs:

• 10.58x Wish TUE previews at T-11: 141/8794 (1.6%): $19.05 Million
  • 2.2x MI7 TUE previews at T-1: 679/17340 (3.92%): $15.38 Million

Napoleon had only been on sale for 4 days so not worth it. Paw Patrol blew up a little closer to release so I will probably add it at T-7. Still not sure about MI7 because of the PLF differences but I might roll with Wish Tuesday and Paw Patrol OD as comps from now on.

EDIT: Saw @Porthos post after posting this. True about the PLFs catching up (a bit, still lagging here a bit at least, as I think Aquaman will be pulling quite a few), and good point about using them more for the final week. I still think Paw Patrol is a good one to keep in mind closer to release as well because of it being OD and selling a crap ton of pre-sales (locally at least)

Edited by abracadabra1998
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

EDIT: Saw @Porthos post after posting this. True about the PLFs catching up (a bit, still lagging here a bit at least, as I think Aquaman will be pulling quite a few)

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, to be fair, PLFs are starting to catch up, at least locally.

ALT GIF VERSION OF ABOVE COMMENT:

lion-king-throw.gif

LIVE LOOK AT AQUABRO 2'S XMAS

PLF SCREENINGS AT LOCAL THEATERS

Well, at least some chains. :ph34r:

Century Arden?  5/5 XD showings for TCP.

Century Greenback?  5/5 XD showings for TCP.

Many other theaters only have partial Aqua 2 PLF screenings.

Not including DBOX, which while a PLF ticket is more its own thing, we have:

TCP:                        18 PLF showings locally

Aqua 2:                   28 PLF showings locally

Wonka:                   12 PLF showings locally

Migration:               3 PLF showings locally (lol)

Ferrari:                    2 PLF showings locally (lulz)

Not Yet Reserved: Approx 16 PLF showings (guesstimate)

(okay, to be fair the one with Migration has two PLF screens, and the one with Ferrari four but still)

So Wonka is also taking a nice chunk out of Aquaman 2.

More importantly, the sales at the PLF screenings for TCP are absolutely bananas. 

Mind, your overall point is a good one as TCP won't have all of the PLF screens in a market to itself while MI7 did.  But sales are very strong at the PLF showings that are available is more my point.

Edited by Porthos
replaced "screens" with "PLF showings" to make my point a bit clearer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

The Color Purple ($28M) will have a bigger 4-day Christmas weekend than Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom ($22.5M)

As in, TCP makes more on Christmas Day alone than Aquaman's entire FRI-MON total

I don't remember if you were the One saying The eras was opening with 300M. 😄 I think this movie can really have great WOM and certainly can have a fan base but even if Christmas day i really don't see right now this hype around to make a 30M OD. I think Is gonna make something between 15-20. Which would be incredible too.  😅