Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@misterpepp your post here did blow up huge. Now this thread is more in spotlight than ever 😞 Not sure I like that. 

Paramount's comment

I mean... sorry? 😅

I'm not sure if I want to keep doing this regardless, if only because I'm not sure how well I take this level of scrutiny. As I predicted, Reddit's on my throat because they're believing what Paramount is telling them. I trust my sources have good intel, they have consistently been giving me correct information, so for people to lash out as me as "some random guy on a forum" is a little hurtful given my track record (Hell, I was the one to mention an Interstellar re-release was happening in the first place!). Perhaps I should consider starting my own site for this (not that anyone here has been unsupportive, you guys have been largely great).

Again, does anyone else find it fascinating that the day my post blows up on social media Paramount decides to end their months-long complete radio silence on this re-release, calls up Variety exclusively to set a new date, and then takes the time to specifically respond to that claim in a way that... still kinda confirms that prints (unusable or not) may have been destroyed? Speaking of which, how do prints from 2014 get that damaged anyway unless you were storing them in horrendous conditions? There are theaters hosting repertory screenings with prints that are decades old and still in pristine condition.

I'm considering this a win for myself. There's clearly something here if it got Paramount rattled, they didn't ignore it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 21
  • Heart 4

1 hour ago, misterpepp said:

I mean... sorry? 😅

I'm not sure if I want to keep doing this regardless, if only because I'm not sure how well I take this level of scrutiny. As I predicted, Reddit's on my throat because they're believing what Paramount is telling them. I trust my sources have good intel, they have consistently been giving me correct information, so for people to lash out as me as "some random guy on a forum" is a little hurtful given my track record (Hell, I was the one to mention an Interstellar re-release was happening in the first place!). Perhaps I should consider starting my own site for this (not that anyone here has been unsupportive, you guys have been largely great).

Again, does anyone else find it fascinating that the day my post blows up on social media Paramount decides to end their months-long complete radio silence on this re-release, calls up Variety exclusively to set a new date, and then takes the time to specifically respond to that claim in a way that... still kinda confirms that prints (unusable or not) may have been destroyed? Speaking of which, how do prints from 2014 get that damaged anyway unless you were storing them in horrendous conditions? There are theaters hosting repertory screenings with prints that are decades old and still in pristine condition.

I'm considering this a win for myself. There's clearly something here if it got Paramount rattled, they didn't ignore it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I can confidently speak for 90-some-percent of us in here when I say that you do a seriously incredible job with your leads and news that you break, you make this forum a better place! Hope you don’t let the hate/negativity get to you too much, we appreciate you ❤️ rooting for you in all your career endeavors!!

• Like 16
  • Heart 1

22 hours ago, Ryan C said:

It Ends With Us

T-2

Wednesday/EA Screenings: 2,200 Seats Sold (From 11 Theaters)

Thursday: 2,862 Seats Sold (From 16 Theaters)

= 5,062 Seats Sold in Total

Taken as of 8:00PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: More and more showtimes keep being added for this one on either day. I don't know how walk-up heavy this film will be, but having a lot of showtimes will certainly help with capacity. We already know that the Colleen Hoover fanbase are showing up for this one, but now these next couple of days will be key in determining if this movie can appeal to people outside of that. 

It'll certainly be frontloaded, but since this is also the kind of movie that wouldn't be pre-sale heavy, I wonder if there is another audience this film could grab with the help of walk-ups alongside the Colleen Hoover fanbase who bought their tickets early. Hopefully this keeps mometum going as we get closer to the weekend.

Regardless, please greenlight more adult dramas based on novels Hollywood! There's clearly an appetite for it. 

It Ends with Us (Early Access Screenings)

T-0

Wednesday: 3,109 Seats Sold (From 11 Theaters) 

A 41% Increase From Yesterday

Taken as of 6:55PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: Wanted to do one last final check before the previews officially started. Don't know if this will translate to the same thing for the actual weekend, but the fact that more than 800 seats were sold (and in only 11 theaters) in the last 24 hours bodes very well for walk-up business. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think Ghostbusters Frozen Empire would likely be the closest thing to a decent comp, being another PG-13 horrorcom legacy franchise with something of a preteen target dem.

I even saw that film in theatres and I still forget it exists.

It seems to compare well, and serves as a good guide if this is truly front loaded like that was. I'll try and add it tomorrow.

On 8/7/2024 at 1:15 AM, TalismanRing said:

How did they get so far planning the release w/ knowing they didn't have the prints? 

Those things are fucking huge - storage for one is a lot.   I'm surprised any theaters kept them for a decade.   Considering the reported $100m Nolan made off the film (more than Paramount) he can pay for new prints himself.   🤷‍♀️

I am sure Nolan must have a few of them lying at his house.

• Haha 1

NYC REGAL Local (7pm)

IT ENDS WITH US:
WED EP:   214/509
THUR PR:  91/1267

FRIDAY 97

COMPS: WED EP
K.POTA:  $3.324m
Twisters :$3.76m

Avg= 3.542

COMPS: THUR PR
Furiosa: $4.19m
Civil War: $2.83m
Challengers: $3.12m
Marvels: $4.77m
Barbie: $2.35m

Avg = $3.452m

Huge early previews that probably depressed Thur numbers.  Lets see how they jump tomorrow.   Not many good comps.  I targeted a combo of movies with big early pre-sales, female targeted films and dramas.

BORDERLANDS: 22/771

COMPS
D&D: $3.73m
Uncharted: $1.98m
Ghostbusters: $2.22m
Indy 5: $2.2m
HG: S&S: $2.23m
Godz v KK NE: $2.29m

Avg =$2.441 but looks playing on just one screen unlike the other comps  It even lost a Thur preview showing to IEWU so likely lower than 2

CUCKOO: 37/322

COMPS (Rated R)

Longlegs: $1m
Halloween Kills: $1.57m
Saw X:  $1.17m

Invisible Man: $1.27m

Reportedly only opening in 1,500 theaters and not a lot of showtimes.  So probably less than half the comp avg of $1.25 -  $500-600k

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

@misterpepp your post here did blow up huge. Now this thread is more in spotlight than ever 😞 Not sure I like that. 

Paramount's comment

Not sure I understand why this thread should be closed off. I think sharing early presales data to fellow box office nerds who don't use BOT is a good thing.

27 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am sure Nolan must have a few of them lying at his house.

Oppenheimer - 53 reels... each only 3 1/2 minutes,  11 miles long.  

So yeah maybe a few lying around in his stables as long as they moved the horses out.

Edited by TalismanRing

On 8/6/2024 at 6:11 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

IT ENDS WITH US 

Thursday 

T-2

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

5.5%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

*2 sellouts

COMPS

T-2

(1.175x) of Bad Boys $6.93M

(2.945x) of Fall Guy $6.77M

Comps AVG: $6.85M

25% decrease to account for ATP/PLF: $5.14M

Looks like it's converging around $5M true Thursday, so $7M total previews with the $2M EA added in

FLORIDA 

IT ENDS WITH US 

Thursday 

T-1

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

6.4%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

*2 sellouts

COMPS

T-1

(0.992x) of Bad Boys $5.85M

(2.411x) of Fall Guy $5.55M

Comps AVG: $5.70M

Would guess $5.5M+ true Thursday. Not the best day 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Would guess $5.5M+ true Thursday. Not the best day 

I would think the fact that so many Wednesday EA extra showings were added would have contributed to Thursday numbers being depressed. Some popular AMC’s had as many as 6-8 showing tonight. I know that’s not everywhere, but almost all had at least 2-3 shows minimum which is certainly is enough to make some difference.

• Like 1

Not to try and muddy the waters, since I do think the movie is headed to low-double digits at best, but Borderlands isn’t selling terribly around here. Tickets are roughly 1/3 that of It Ends With Us throughout the weekend, and given the higher ticket price… it’s not looking too bad.

Now, if WOM truly ends up awful, walkups won’t be kind. Still, kind of nice to see a pair of movies not doing dismally.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Flip said:

It Ends With Us Previews (T-2) 

22 showtimes/582 tickets sold (+135)

2.05x Trap Previews (T-2) [4.51m]

1.74x Bad Boys 4 (T-2) [9.70m]
6.61x The Watchers (T-2) [6.61m]

Another very strong day, tomorrow should see 120+ tickets, if it sells more tickets than today (unlikely since a lot of people will choose to see it though EA last minute) then it’s likely to pass 6m for Thursday gross

It Ends With Us Previews (T-1) 

22 showtimes/717 tickets sold (+135)

2.21x Trap Previews (T-1) [4.86m]

1.41x Bad Boys 4 (T-1) [7.86m]
6.96x The Watchers (T-1) [6.96m]

Selling the exact same as yesterday with such a robust offering of Early Access is very encouraging.

• Like 5

On 8/6/2024 at 8:02 PM, Ryan C said:

It Ends With Us

T-2

Wednesday/EA Screenings: 2,200 Seats Sold (From 11 Theaters)

Thursday: 2,862 Seats Sold (From 16 Theaters)

= 5,062 Seats Sold in Total

Taken as of 8:00PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: More and more showtimes keep being added for this one on either day. I don't know how walk-up heavy this film will be, but having a lot of showtimes will certainly help with capacity. We already know that the Colleen Hoover fanbase are showing up for this one, but now these next couple of days will be key in determining if this movie can appeal to people outside of that. 

It'll certainly be frontloaded, but since this is also the kind of movie that wouldn't be pre-sale heavy, I wonder if there is another audience this film could grab with the help of walk-ups alongside the Colleen Hoover fanbase who bought their tickets early. Hopefully this keeps mometum going as we get closer to the weekend.

Regardless, please greenlight more adult dramas based on novels Hollywood! There's clearly an appetite for it. 

It Ends With Us

T-1

Thursday: 3,970 Seats Sold (From 16 Theaters)

A 38.7% Increase From Yesterday

Taken as of 11:20PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: Not a whole lot to say that I didn't already say with the EA screenings update. Definitely a good sign that since yesterday, more than 1,100 seats were sold. Hopefully this will be a sign that tomorrow once the official previews start that even more tickets will be sold and that walk-up business will be strong. 

Again, the key for this movie to hit the $50M+ projections and not be as frontloaded as expected is to appeal to women and just people in general that aren't already fans of the source material. If that happens, then the sky is the limit for this movie.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, crazymoviekid said:

It Ends With Us

Thursday Comps: 

Theater 1: 132 Tickets

Theater 2: 147 Tickets

Anyone But You: $7.36M

Beyonce: $7.09M

Barbie: $6.14M

Dont Worry Darling: $9.77M

Crawdads: $19.45M

Still going strong. $6.5M+

Friday Comps

Theater 1: 185 Tickets

Theater 2: 174 Tickets

Anyone But You: $40.88M

Beyonce: $9.02M

Taylor Swift: $4.66M

Barbie: $9.88M

Dont Worry Darling: $25.13M

Crawdads: $24.41M

Pretty strong start, but varied comps. I'll settle for $11M+ for now ..

It Ends With Us

Thursday Comps: 

Theater 1: 181 Tickets

Theater 2: 209 Tickets

Anyone But You: $5.98M

Beyonce: $9.58M

Barbie: $6.53M

Dont Worry Darling: $8.36M

Crawdads: $24.92M

Either going for $6M or for $9M

Friday Comps: 

Theater 1: 227 Tickets