Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

2 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

It’s very ironic I didn’t track Twisters. I’m literally in the perfect place for it (Iowa) and smack dab in the middle of where the tornados usually form. For all I know it’s massively over indexing but I’ll never know. 

I'd do a few eyeball checks. If you've tracked the area enough, your judgement and experience counts for a lot.

We're data nerds, so hard data is always the ideal, but experience based intuition always has a role in this type of stuff.

Edited by vafrow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I am pretty sure they would've sold more if they were lumped into all showings. Cinemark's website is relatively user friendly but it's exceptionally confusing to locate "special screenings" on the Regal and AMC sites

To be fair, if you had it booked as a regular screening, and someone bought tickets and got a lengthy Q&A pre-show they weren't interested in, they'd probably be pretty annoyed.

I think it's just a challenging concept. It might be more successful with a more fan driven property though.

They can add like a pop up disclaimer at checkout that the showing includes a live Q&A. Shouldn't be that difficult to protect themselves from liability while still being able to draw more attention to it.

NYC REGAL LOCAL (7pm)

TWISTERS

WED EP: 128/320 (+190% from Tues)
THUR:   49/4564 (+75%) (1500+ seats added)

EP COMP:
KPOA- $1.988M

THUR COMPS
KPOA- $6.125m
AQP: $4.014m
Furiosa: $2.26m
GKK: $5.1m
HG:S&S: $4.4m
Indy 5: $4.64m
Tr.Beasts: $6.21m
J.World3: $4.39m
Uncharted: $4.48m

AVG: $5.12m
Majority Range: $4-5.1m = $4.5m avg
ADD EP:  $6.5m-$7.1m avg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Personally, my biggest fear is that if Twisters bombs, then that would mean that all of this summer's biggest wildcards including Furiosa and Horizon ended up failing. Then we'll probably get a whole bunch of people/articles who will say that "cinema is dead" because people don't show up for either movie stars, westerns, or blockbuster movies made by auteurs. 

I don't know, but it would just be pretty bad to see not even one of these movies working and though I think Twisters has the best shot to succeed, it still has a pretty tall hill to climb. 

Twisters is a soft reboot of a silly almost 30 yr old disaster movie and not exactly star studded or auteur driven.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 8:43 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

TWISTERS

Thursday 

T-2

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

3.3%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-2

(1.066x) of Bad Boys $6.29M

(2.671x) of Fall Guy $6.14M

(1.513x) of Furiosa $5.29M
Comps AVG: $5.91M 

Could be $6M true previews. Pretty strong late growth 

FLORIDA 

TWISTERS

Thursday 

T-1

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

4.0%

COMPS

T-1

(0.946x) of Bad Boys $5.58M

(2.301x) of Fall Guy $5.29M

(1.763x) of Furiosa $6.17M
Comps AVG: $5.68M 

It was always going to be hard for it to keep up with Bad Boys as that had absurd late growth. Not seeing enough to convince me this can get to $6M. Probably will stick with $5.5M+

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

TWISTERS

Thursday 

T-1

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

4.0%

COMPS

T-1

(0.946x) of Bad Boys $5.58M

(2.301x) of Fall Guy $5.29M

(1.763x) of Furiosa $6.17M
Comps AVG: $5.68M 

It was always going to be hard for it to keep up with Bad Boys as that had absurd late growth. Not seeing enough to convince me this can get to $6M. Probably will stick with $5.5M+

That's with no EA? 7.5 with EA probably puts 60 in contention.

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Twisters is a soft reboot of a silly almost 30 yr old disaster movie and not exactly star studded or auteur driven.

I mean, it does have an Oscar nominated director behind it. :lol:

But the point still stands, yeah.

It would just be nice to have something not a superhero or animated franchise hit, especially given the forum has been down on it for so long. I'm sick of being told how much Deadpool is gonna destroy it next week.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 9:29 PM, Flip said:

Deadpool 3 (T-9) 5 days of sales

39 showtimes/1694 tix sold (+200) 

14.12x Bad Boys 4 (T-9) [82.6m]

22.28x Twisters (T-9) [???]

8.34x Quiet Place Day One (T-9) [56.71m]

12.83x Longlegs (T-9) [38.49m]

throwing everything at the wall here

Deadpool 3 (T-8) 

39 showtimes/1763 tix sold (+69) 

14x Bad Boys 4 (T-8) [81.9m]

19.8x Twisters (T-8) [???]

8.12x Quiet Place Day One (T-8) [55.21m]

12.24x Longlegs (T-8) [36.72m]

throwing everything at the wall here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Flip said:

Trap D1 (T-16)

8 showtimes/51 tix sold

.76x Twisters (T-16) [???]

.35x AQP Day One (T-16) [2.38m]

longlegs comps starts at T-14, but in the end watchers should be a better comp (Trap’s first day was higher than Watchers T-4 mark) but it doesn’t kick in until next week.

Trap D2 (T-15)

8 showtimes/57 tix sold (+6)

.86x Twisters (T-15) [???]

.38x AQP Day One (T-15) [2.58m]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It would just be nice to have something not a superhero or animated franchise hit, especially given the forum has been down on it for so long. I'm sick of being told how much Deadpool is gonna destroy it next week.

Deadpool is gonna destroy it next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How are the sales for It Ends with Us looking for others? Cause those Early Access through Friday shows have already sold a bunch of tickets three weeks out near me. Don't know what current tracking for it looks like but the book fanbase should frontload it enough for an opening similar to the $17M that Where the Crawdads Sing debuted to.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Bad Boys What GIF by Bad Boys For LifeLupita Nyongo Cat GIF by A Quiet Place: Day OneDriving Nicolas Cage GIF by Regal

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I know it's not really auteur driven or even that star studded, but my point was just that Twisters was and still is one of the biggest question marks of the summer along with Furiosa and Horizon (I was referring to the former as auteur cinema and not Twisters).

It would be a massive shame if it were to flop because it would not only render disaster movies as not a theatrically viable genre, but it would also do no favors in terms of telling Hollywood what works and what doesn't work at the box office.

I'm sorry but it just can't just be specific franchise/IP and the occasional original horror film that work in theaters, there's gotta be more and if Twisters doesn't do well, it's gonna prevent studios from taking risks on more disaster movies or just "old-school blockbusters" in general. 

Yes those are good to have as well, but none of those had the kind of negative energy directed at them before release that Twisters did. Usually happens when reports of a huge budget poison the narrative.

Basically I just want to be able to say "haha I told y'all but you refused to listen to me!!!!"

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I know it's not really auteur driven or even that star studded, but my point was just that Twisters was and still is one of the biggest question marks of the summer along with Furiosa and Horizon (I was referring to the former as auteur cinema and not Twisters).

It would be a massive shame if it were to flop because it would not only render disaster movies as not a theatrically viable genre, but it would also do no favors in terms of telling Hollywood what works and what doesn't work at the box office.

I'm sorry but it just can't just be specific franchise/IP and the occasional original horror film that work in theaters, there's gotta be more and if Twisters doesn't do well, it's gonna prevent studios from taking risks on more disaster movies or just "old-school blockbusters" in general. 

Disaster movies have been box office kryptonite for a while now. Even Roland Emmerich discovered just two years back that his particular brand of mindless spectacle doesn't sell in theaters anymore (to the point where he's now making projects for Peacock).

Edited by filmlover